Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sheffield – Peak District Ride – 2-3 Hours
  • snowjunkie
    Free Member

I am visiting Sheffield this weekend and looking for recommendations of rides nearby on the Peaks.

Plan on doing 2-3 hour ride. some nice flowing single track would be good and not too difficult to find the route as we both have a terrible sense of direction!!

Also plan on riding Grenoside on Sat. Is it pure DH or can mere mortals on trail bike rides there??

Any info would be great.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Flowing singletrack? you’ll be lucky. Plenty of rocks though!

Have a look at something like Porter Brook, Redmires, Stanage (go down through the Plantation), Houndkirk Road, Blacka (plenty of options) then Eccy Woods. All bridleways on the map (bit of road to link it all up, mind)

Greno? Not too gnar at all. Have a look at the Steelcity vid in Midweek minimovies to get a feel.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’d recommend Cut Gate for a good 2 hr ride, it’s not smooth but it’s not rocky either (for the peak district), the section across the moor is very smooth when it’s dry (which it should be despite today/yesterdays rain) its like a pump track. Speak to a local and ask about the little route through the woods at the Langsett reservoir wall end.

ahwiles
    Free Member

re peak district: singletrack? – if you find any let me know…

(we do a good selection of wide, straight, rocky roads, there is a corner at stanage though if you fancy turning left)

re Greno: there’s loads of lovely singletrack all over the place. you can’t miss it.

re Greno Dh: i’m a useless numpty, i can (slowly) ride my cyclocross bike down the track nae bother.

benman
    Free Member

Yep sod all singletrack in the peak district…

I forgot the peak district begins and ends at the hope valley 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

and that bridleway is where?

?

(there’s a whiff of Eyam about it)

hora
    Free Member

Wheres that bridleway? Or are you doing the MBR ride guides mag where they post lots of big pictures of cheeky (including some bloke called Benji in Hebden blatantly showing a path in A4 size that the locals get upset by).

benman
    Free Member

Who said it was a bridleway? Just saying that ‘there’s no singletrack in the peak district’ is quite dismissive.

Plenty of singletrack bridleways in the south peak district. Northwood, Copy wood, Switchbacks down to Raper Lodge for starters.

Any you’re right, some good stuff in Eyam, and on the moor above it.

The pic above is from lower derwent valley, not a million miles from matlock

iain1775
    Free Member

I know where Benman’s pic is 8)
    Yep bit cheeky but tolerated and causes no harm to anyone
    Riding really well and dry at the mo too 😀
    There’s loads of singletrack in peaks

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Greno looks good. Going to try out parkwood as well on our way into town.
    Probably try cut gate and surrounding area on sun if weather is half decent.
    I will keep my eye out for the singletrack!!!!!!

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Plenty of 2-3 hour rides in peaks,like people have said above not really loads of flowy tracks(not done cut gate yet)but some very techy rocky descents and climbs.You can spend a good two hour’s though around houndkirk,blackamoor and lady canning plantation.I love it up there,load’s of hidden tracks too you can add in to a ride,it’s got some singletrack and technical descents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield – Peak District Ride – 2-3 Hours’ is closed to new replies.