Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Sheffield. Currently the UK's biggest ice rink
  • Pook

Never known anything like it! Black ice coating everything. I’m pretty steady on my feet but I was like bambi this morning.

Even the experts are struggling

ahwiles
    Free Member

in a word: ‘treacherous’…

i tried to leave the house, and i suppose i could claim i was succesfull, but i wasn’t upright for very long.

(now back in the kitchen, trying to ignore the ‘late for work’ feelings of guilt)

tracknicko
    Free Member

jfletch
    Free Member

Nearly stacked as I put a foot outside the front door. Just a layer of ice covering everything.

scaredypants

give it a few hours – from what’s going on darn sarf just now, we’re pushing for UK’s biggest swimming pool 🙁

(addit/hijack. tracknicko, did you get an email from me the other day ?)

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s not any better properly up north.

Went to take my bin out and the ‘drive’ is covered in a layer of ice, only the grit from last weeks snow stopped me going arse over tit.

Didn’t stop me falling over at the top of the steps at the back door though, that could have been serious if I hadn’t managed to wedge myself against the wall… 😯

muzzle
    Free Member

Stepped out of the front door to defrost the car and slid straight down the steps. Probably my fault for still being in my slippers.

Hope the Sheffield roads are passable – I’m waiting in for my new Yeti to be delivered…

hora
    Free Member

I drove past someone last night who was washing his car outside his house.

I know.

spawnofyorkshire

Huddersfield was treacherous as well this morning. I hit the deck three times on my way to the station.
    The wounded were down every 20m or so being looked after including one woman bleeding from a head wound. Thankful she was being attended to as i couldn’t stop myself from sliding straight past her when i went down!

Horrible

brakes
    Free Member

crapsticks, I’m driving up that way this evening.

hora
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire – have they stopped that lame train station fountain that flows onto the pavement yet? 😉

finbar
    Free Member

I managed to ride into work in Sheffield this morning, only for the b*****d driving in i was due to meet at 9am email and say he couldn’t get in because of the ice. FFS.

wwaswas

45mph winds, torrential rain and the sea up over the prom here in Hove.

Which is probably preferable to sheet ice.

spawnofyorkshire

yeah they learnt their lesson last year. It gets switched off in autumn and turned back on in spring.

That fountain is responsible for one of the funniest things i’ve seen. When we were coming back from the saddleworth beer walk and my mate got held over one of the jets, which fired right up his giant beer bottle costume and out the ‘spout’ at the top. He was drenched and we laughed our arses off

edit: here’s the inspiration for the costume

cp

crapsticks, I’m driving up that way this evening.

It’ll be fine by then – just rain fallen on frozen ground. It’s slick as a very slick thing right now, but with temps rising through the day and plenty more warmer rain coming later, it’ll be fine soon.

dribbling
    Free Member

Lethal in BD11 – gritted oldies/ kids paths this morning; now sitting back and waiting to be sued.

john_drummer
    Free Member

BD17 bad too. roads passable, pavements are sheet ice

withersea
    Free Member

LS20 roads ok, paths sllllliiiiiiiddddyy and total fog out – no planes from Leeds Bradford airport this morning!

martinhutch

Had an epic trying to get my kids down the hill to school in Skipton…

spawnofyorkshire

a quick poll in the office has determined that 12 out of 18 people hit the deck today on their way to work from various different bits of yorkshire.
    Either we’ve all got balance issues or it’s a bit slippy out there

cuckoo
    Free Member

Cycle commute took an extra hour this morning. Only hit the deck once but that was because I walked quite a few sections on the back lanes near home (Derbyshire not Yorkshire).

To walk I had to go along frozen grass verges as it was not possible to stand on tarmac roads. The most severe ice conditions I have encountered on my commute to date, including the 2010 winter months.

dribbling
    Free Member

Had an epic trying to get my kids down the hill to school in Skipton…

Should have used a stumpy… 😳

tracknicko
    Free Member

(addit/hijack. tracknicko, did you get an email from me the other day ?)

yes mate i did sorry, but life is mental right now, and i thought the post following mine on that thread had found you one in a shop?

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time that happened near me I put the studded tyres on the bike, I daren’t put a foot down cos my shoes were not studded…

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’re sending our rain and wind up to you Lads.. hold tight there.

Nothing more butt clenching than sliding along in a car heading for the one in front..

Take it easy.

“dofs flat cap”

Woody
    Free Member

Oh dear. I’m very glad I’m not at work today but it’s not too bad outside Durham.

TPTcruiser

Rain falling now, thanks you southerners for sending it!
    Like a red cross parcel for POWs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ice can be quite beautiful though. 🙂

Frosty wire by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

mightymule
    Free Member

Don’t worry, it’s currently weeing it down in Sheffield city centre, so the ice has pretty much all gone.

The roads should be nicely flooded just in time for the evening rush hour.

B_Leach
    Free Member

Aye it’s been pissing it down in Sheffield since lunchtime and is all melted down now.

I managed to stay upright getting out to the street from my back door this morning, thought better of it and called a workmate for a lift instead.
    That smooth ice had thinly coated EVERYTHING!

hora
    Free Member

Weird isn’t it. When it rains/snows etc in the Leeds/Sheff etc area everyone goes to pot. M62 becomes carnage etc etc.

Meanwhile in Huddersfield we get around no matter what…

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I only came across ice once I turned into the works drive (after a 40 mile commute), I then used the car to open the gates A Team style.

wwaswas

Meanwhile in Huddersfield we get around no matter what…

They’re all just hanging around waiting to evolve into bipeds up there, aren’t they?

Northwind

I will sell you this pair of ice tyres for… one million dollars!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just back from Big Town to torrential rain and a bit of sleet, called my 89yr old Dad to check if he & Mum we ok in the ice.

“All fine, popped out to see if the ice was bad this morning, fell over, slid all the way down the drive. Had to climb back up to the house over the rockery.”

I ask you, which plank said “with age comes wisdom!”?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Oh, and is it all gone in Sheff?
    Works ‘do’ at the Broadfield tonight.

hora
    Free Member

I once remember falling onto my back – my legs went higher than my head in the air…a group of school kids came across the road quickly and rather than laugh they all asked how I was and helped me up. I think I was more confused that they didn’t have a laugh…. I would have 😳

Northwind

With me, it’s not so much that I broke my hip while trying to walk on an endless sheet of black ice, that’s pretty reasonable. it’s that the reason I was trying to walk across it, was so that I could try and ride my motorbike to work 😆 Sometimes you count yourself lucky to be only marginally crippled 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

** Update from Darn Sarf **

It’s..

Sunny and Mild and Windy and blomin lovely here folks..

It’s heading your way…

Wot tyres for Hardpack Mush???? 😆

Pook

Sheffield has thawed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield. Currently the UK's biggest ice rink’ is closed to new replies.