Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Shaving oil – what the hell do you do with it?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Now my normal morning routine is to have a shower, then have a shave.

If I’m cycling into work I’ll just have a shave, go into work and have a shower there (And since I ride into work normally 4 times a week, this is my normal routine). Sadly this makes shaving a bit harder, I presume because my face hasn’t got properly soaked or something. So shaving, even with foam, is sometimes quite painful and often leads to bloodshed and always leaves my face feeling raw.

So I tried some shaving oil which definately helps. Thing is, this leaves me in a quandry.

When I’m shaving normally after a shower and use the oil, do I wash it off with soap, or not?

The latter leaves my face feeling oily.

What are you supposed to do? (MTFU?)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use King of Shaves menthol oil when travelling. Nice hot shower, five drops rubbed in to face. Shave. Then just dry face off a little. It’s excellent stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have you tried a King of Shaves gel?

Nice hot shower, five drops rubbed in to face

Jeez flashy, do you ever read OPs anymore?

Jamie
    Free Member

King Of Shaves gel is supposed to be good.

Personally, I have no idea as am a scruffy urchin.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I gave up on the oil after a while, it makes a right mess of your shaver. Currently trying Clinique aloe gel/post shave balm stuff, seems good so far.

used king of shaves gel for a while, which is ok, but I think I prefer the Clinique stuff.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

WTF is wrong with soap?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

hot water, as hot as you can cope with. KOS gel, shave-with any kind of razor, rinse. moisturise with something you like the smell of. done.

I do that and have stubble within minutes. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Soap really dries your skin out.

No need to wash the oil off after a shave. Just rinse with water and dry off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, and wash with some type of scrubby stuff to soften bristle first with as hot water as you can stand. You can rub some (el cheapo) moisturiser in before using a gel (other non-lathering gels are available). Rinse off with cold water. Moisturise.

Because you’re worth it. 🙂

And that’s as metrosexual as I’m getting tonight.

Jamie
    Free Member

WTF is wrong with soap?

I don’t know, what is wrong with soap?

samuri
    Free Member

I’m with you there Charlie, that’s what I’d normally do if I was travelling, shaved with cold water before now because I’m dead tough like Sly in First Blood but going to work with dirty greaty bleeding holes in my face doesn’t create the right impression.

Apparently.

samuri
    Free Member

And ta, I’ll try king of shaves.

Jamie
    Free Member

Have you considered growing a beard?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s because he was trying to cross the road.

samuri
    Free Member

I find men with beards suspicious and difficult to trust.
    Plus I think a beard makes me look like a paedo.

bruneep

WTF is wrong with soap?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeikk3sXlvo&feature=fvwrel[/video]

😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you considered rapist glasses to complete the look?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15S0g8pG6HU[/video]

PMK2060

i use king of shaves oil and gel together. massage oil in first then gel. makes shaving pretty smooth. i only shave twice a week though and try and do it on a night time as it gives my delicate skin time to calm down.

Jamie
    Free Member

I find men with beards suspicious and difficult to trust.
    Plus I think a beard makes me look like a paedo.

Can’t argue with that logic.

Jamie
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

WTF is wrong with soap?

blimey!

tommid
    Free Member

I always liked Somersets shave oil. Great stuff, much better than all the others that I tried and far better than gel, soap etc. The best bet is to always use hot water and exfoliate first.

prettygreenparrot

KoS Kinexium. Just leave it on, rub it in and then apply your choice of manly moisturiser 🙂

PMK2060

i use king of shaves oil and gel together. massage oil in first then gel. makes shaving pretty smooth. i only shave twice a week though and try and do it on a night time as it gives my delicate skin time to calm down.

ononeorange

MTFU. Cheapest gel or foam used sparingly, nastiest plastic razor eked out for weeks and deal with the blood.

That freshly lacerated look discourages people from sitting next to you on the tube.

IHN

Can’t you shave in the evening? That’s what I used to do when I commuted by bike (can’t any more *sniff*). Home, shower, shave, reasonably tidy stubble-wise for the following day.

Or shave at work?

Nick

Can’t you just shave in the shower at work, that’s what I do. Been doing it so long now I don’t need a mirror any more.

Ride to work, nice hot shower, wee, tesco shaving gel and disposable razor, no razor burn, no blood, rest of body is getting washed at the same time.

If you need a mirror then just get a small one and leave it in your desk.

SBrock
    Free Member

I used to use Somersets Oil, always gave me the closest shave, but as someone has said it really clogs your razor up. I have tried loads of different shaving creams and now I use The Real Shaving Co. shave cream now and it’s a really nice comfortable shave. Also I have tried all the latest razors like Gilette Fusion etc etc but found they didn’t last long and weren’t as comfortable as the original Mach 3, so I just use Mach 3 now and the blades are cheaper!

Shall we start a thread on what the best razor/blades are?

IHN

Use one of these and any blade feels better and lasts for ages. I reckon I get a couple of months of daily shaving out of a Mach 3 🙂

http://www.mankind.co.uk/razorpit-razor-blade-sharpener/10366474.html

I can’t recommend it highly enough, it is the absolute b*ll*cks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I use King of Shaves oil with Mach 3 on a daily basis and no problems, just rinse my face with water when I’ve finished.

I find their gel is better if you only need to shave less regularly.

stumpy01

I used King of Shaves oil stuff for a while, but found that the cut hairs clung to it and wouldn’t come off the razor very easily so it got clogged up.
    It was also felt really greasy too, unless washed off properly after shaving with some soap or face wash or shower gel…..

I find if I shave without having a shower first, it’s like a laceration-fest. I assume it’s because my stubble hasn’t been softened a bit by hot water….?
    As above, I’d try either shaving in the shower when you get to work or shaving the night before.

justatheory
    Free Member

I use Aleppo bay and olive oil soap for washing face, body, hair and for shaving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_soap

SBrock
    Free Member

Use one of these and any blade feels better and lasts for ages. I reckon I get a couple of months of daily shaving out of a Mach 3

http://www.mankind.co.uk/razorpit-razor-blade-sharpener/10366474.html

I can’t recommend it highly enough, it is the absolute b*ll*cks

Is it really that good???

I nearly faint at the price of razor blades, how does it work?

IHN

Is it really that good???

It really is. Basically it cleans all the gunk off the blade that would otherwise ‘dull’ it, so leaving it pretty much as good as new each time you shave.

Basically you rub the blade up the thing five or six times, using a tiny bit of gell or foam as a lubricant (there’s a video and a better explanation on the site I think). I’ve had one for about eighteen months and use it before every shave. It does rub the lube strip off the blade, but you realise that with a clean blade and decent gel (I use King of Shaves), you don’t need the strip anyway.

Easily a month per blade probably two (I don’t really take any notice any more, as I’m so rarely changing blades). Plus, you can store your razor in it for trips away.

I’ll say it again, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

SBrock
    Free Member

They have got them on Amazon for £14 so may order one, the reviews of it on there are 90% favourable with Mach 3 blades so looks like it could be a good investment with the price of razor blades so high.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCbeXFhMfI[/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Shaving oil – what the hell do you do with it?’ is closed to new replies.