Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Setting Sag; Sit or Stand?
  • marc
    Free Member

After a fun moment of somersalting over a suprise endo yesterday, I think I should really take time to set up my new forks properly.

But, in setting sag for forks should you take the measurement for sag while you’re standing in your “normal” descending pose, or while you’re sat on the saddle?

A quick google shows differing views.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No definitive answer? Setting sag is not an exact sceince an any event, you gotta ride it and see what works for you.

wwaswas

A quick google shows differing views.

you’ll get a similar view on here 😉

me – for an xc bike I tend to do it sitting but for something a bit more hardcore, ‘attack’ position.

poppa
    Free Member

I do standing as a starting point. Then you have to go and ride and decide whether it was too stiff or not. Sometimes is good to go for a ride with your shock pump for the express purpose of setting up your forks.

I sometimes get on the bike and roll down the road a bit, out of the saddle, to see where the sag mark is. It’s easier than leaning against a wall or something like that. Then I just go by visual inspection and gut feeling.

cynic-al
    Free Member

‘attack’ position

😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

i find that if i do it sitting when i stand up then i’m too far into the travel – if i do it standing it’s too stiff sitting.

depends on the bike but i prefer standing.

chiefP
    Free Member

When i set mine i wear the kit i would normally wear on the trails on that Bike, that way the sag is set to your riding weight.

marc
    Free Member

depends on the bike but i prefer standing.

Not suprised after getting rear ended this morning! 😯

Hope you’re OK

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always find that if I set it when sat it’s way too much when stood, which is the position I’m normally in when I require suspension to be working to its’ best.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I do mine when I’m standing otherwise it’s way too soft.

EuroClive
    Free Member

Measure both and take the average, you will create more leverage on the linkage and shock when sat down, in this instance the higher percentage of your mass is distributed through your booty via the saddle, when you stand your mass is distributed through the feet via pedals/cranks/bb and this has less impetus/leverage on the linkage and shock, ie you will see more “droop/sag” when sat than when standing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Setting Sag; Sit or Stand?’ is closed to new replies.