Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Servicing Avid Juicy Caliper Help
  • Netdonkey

I have looked at the tech doc and it all makes sense. Anyone experienced changing all the o rings? is it necessary? if so where did you get them?

Also is there a way of getting the pistons out without a compressor?

cheers

br
    Free Member

CRC sell them, but I got them from my LBS.

I didn’t use them in the end, as I couldn’t get the pistons out – even with a compressor…

tbh I just threw them in my spares box and managed to get a spare one off ebay.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Finding that I needed a compressor to service my Juicy Ultimates was the final straw before switching to Avid BB7s on both my bikes 🙂

Frustration had been building since having Hayes HFX-9 previously.

BB7s with Avid Ultimate levers and Gore Rideon cables – smooth action, powerful, modulating, servicable…

bri-72

I use my shock pump with a marzochi type adapter on the end. That seems to fit well enough into caliper that I can pump the piston out. I put the caliper in bag when doing this as the pressure forcing piston out can be dangerous. Watch out for high velocity pistons!

Netdonkey

Thanks, will try the shock pump trick. The only seal kit for juicys on CRC is for the 5/7. I have 3s any idea if they are the same?

As i don’t need pistons £10 seams a lot for 4 pieces of rubber

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Where did you get the O-rings from? I couldn’t seem to find them on CRC and my LBS weren’t too much help!

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

I literally just finished doing a Juicy 4SL caliper service. The only O ring that varies is the one that sits in the caliper half opposite where the hose enters the caliper. It rarely causes any problems anyway.

It’s an Avid Pressure Foot Kit you need. 2 x pistons, 2 x piston seals, 1 x O Ring. Pump the brake with no pads in (but still full of fluid) to get 1 piston out, then split the caliper, and use a track pump and a campbed/inflatable toy adaptor (yellow plastic cone, usually) to force the other out.
    BE CAREFUL. This has broken fingers before!

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

You would need to use a chisel to split the caliper on Juicy Ultimates as it is a one piece 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Avid Juicy Caliper Help’ is closed to new replies.