Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Selling a car on ebay 99p start price
  • njcisca

I’m thinking about putting my old car up for ebay auction. Its already advertised in classifieds but could really do with shifting it before the insurance runs out next week.
    Is its more likely to get interest at a 99p start? Also worth the risk listing with no reserve? The car isn’t worth loads maybe £1000-1200 but not sure I have the bottle to have it potentially go for peanuts.

maccruiskeen

Describe it really well, list all the faults and niggles. Don’t dick about with 99p and a reserve just list it at the very very least you can to sell if for, start the listing at a time so it ends at a good day / time. Bidders are more interest in sellers who look like they want to sell. Reserves make you look like you don’t.

bruneep

Set a reserve or fixed price or you can always ermmm Cough!

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

In my experience, it’s more likely to get interest at a 99p start. Don’t bother with reserves. It’s not much of a risk – eBay is a very liquid market and stuff will fetch what it is worth.

Have a look at what similar vehicles have gone for. This will give you a “range” of expectation 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

Price it to sell. My tdi golf went within 1 hours of me advertising it on ebay. The phone didnt stop ringing. I may have sold it too cheaply, but I just wanted rid.

Speeder

Don’t use a reserve – they just put buyers off and they cost loads to list..

gobuchul
    Free Member

I sold a car on Ebay once. Never again.

Seems to attract all the loonies and weirdos.

I have sold lots of other stuff and apart from one chancer with a CD player, only have had good expeirences. Don’t what it is about cars that does that?

You could always put it in the auctions? Pretty painless way to get rid and you can always put a reserve on it. No problems with dodgy payments etc. Might lose a £100 or so mind.

timber

Yes. Always got more than I hoped for.
    Clean the junk out the car, clean the outside if it is plastered in cack.
    Write a decent description that doesn’t half answer a buyers questions and set it to end at a time that most people can be home and bidding with time to collect at the weekend.
    And ‘advertised elsewhere’, so open to offers and not hard to bung on Gumtree too, a little higher, also gives bidders an idea of where you see the cars value.

njcisca

Cheers all. So no reserve seems the way to go, just need to summon some courage! Similar cars seem to go in the price range I have in mind so hopefully not being too optimistic.
    I’ve sold loads of stuff on eBay without issue but never a car.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t bother a reserve. eBay “sale” isn’t legally binding so you can just pull the plug if you don’t get enough.

timber

OP – the first few days are pretty nervous, 48 hours left you think you might get half what you want, last 6 hours and you can’t believe someone would pay that much. Unless on day 2 someone turns up on the door with cash.

danradyr1
    Free Member

Also try Gumtree. I put my car on Gumtree and sold within 2 days. I had loads of emails, most of which were from loonies offering half the price or an Xbox with 10 games! But I had a couple of genuine emails and sold for the asking price.i was surprised how quickly and how much interest there was in the car. Maybe price it at £950, or below the psychological £1000.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

stick it on autotrader at £999.
    it’s £10 for under a grand.

njcisca

Already on Gumtree but looks like I’ve been asking too much so I’m going to drop the price. Did have one lad look at the car and was about to hand over cash until he looked how much his insurance would be, surely you would check first! Autotrader sounds worth a go for a tenner. Might give it another couple of days before auction time.

fourbanger
    Free Member

What is it?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Autotrader sounds worth a go for a tenner. Might give it another couple of days before auction time.

If it’s on this evening, it’ll be gone tomorrow.
    What else you going to do on a sunday other than buy an old banga?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Apparently Sunday evenings between 8 and 9pm is the best time to end an Ebay listing.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

After Top Gear…
    While the missus puts the kids to bed there’s just enough time to have a cheeky bid before washing up…

thebees
    Free Member

Never auction a car on eBay. Some fool will push buy and then back out, guaranteed. Price it low as a classified ad and then you’re in control of when the ad is removed from ebay.

njcisca

Yep I usually aim for Sunday ending so will be up tomorrow if I go for it. Also insurance up next Sunday.

What is it?

It’s a mazda 6 2.0 petrol. I guess big petrol engined cars are not exactly in demand which won’t be helping.

ados
    Free Member

I may be interested; drop me an email with a link to the ad please.

Thanks!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

More details!

el_boufador

AFter quite a bit or arsing around, sold my last one on ebay, 99p start and sensible reserve. Would recommend.

njcisca

More details

Was not meant to be a sale thread (honest!) but anyone interested email me and I can send details.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Found it on the bay

njcisca

Bugger! Following good advice I put the car in for another Mot as the previous one was up in November. It passed but with advisories for corroded sills and brake ferrules, looks like the dreaded Mazda rot has set in. A bit surprised it’s gone from no advisories to this in less than a year but it’s not exactly dry round here.
    Quite relieved in a way, at least I won’t be getting accused of selling a dodgy car.
    With the value being reduced looks like I’ll keep hold for now. If something daft and cheap takes my fancy at a dealer may look at a trade in!

Ben_H

I “sold” a car twice on eBay last autumn, only for the buyers to back out on the day.

I was not pleased and used a buying service in the end (at a loss compared to what I’d agreed before) – but had just lost patience. 🙁

If I use eBay again, I will make sure a deposit is taken prior to arranging collection time.

dooosuk
    Free Member

In afraid to say Mazda 6’s are undesirable and worthless. I got £350 trading in my 05 plate with 11mths MOT. Plenty not selling for £500-750 privately.

njcisca

In afraid to say Mazda 6’s are undesirable and worthless. I got £350 trading in my 05 plate with 11mths MOT. Plenty not selling for £500-750 privately

Yep definitely seems to be the case. Shame really, nice cars to drive and great load luggers but as I’ve found out the rust is a killer and they hold little value.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car on ebay 99p start price’ is closed to new replies.