Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Self employed questions
  • project
    Free Member

As im self employed,we have had a few time waster customers,examples being,going out at a pre determined time to give an estimate,or advice on work the customer needs doing,we dont charge, but recently we have done estimates and then the job has gone to someone else.

What is a reasonable charge for an estimate.

Also twice recently a customer has ordered Kitchens from a DIY store, and the havent been delivered by the store on time, the tradesmen ,electrician and plumber then charged the customer for a full days work each,by saying the customer had to pay as they had a formal contract,and they the tradesmaen had no other work to do.

Advice required,as i dont like the idea of charging the customer for someone elses probem , non delivery.

Smee
    Free Member

A reasonable charge for an estimate is £0 and I charge for booked appointments if the work cant go ahead for some reason beyond your control. It's not your fault the kit didn't arrive, why should you be out of pocket?

Different field of work, but i'd apply those principles anywhere.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

it's a tough call.
    In our market clients can expect to have a full, multi agency pitch which can take days of work to prepare and the work can still go elsewhere. This means everyone puts prices up to cover the pitches they lose.
    If you can explain to clients that the cost of the estimate is redeemable against the final invoice should you get the work it may soften the blow a little.
    Re charging for time wasted by a third party – again warn the client up front, it is not unreasonable if you have kept a day free to do work for someone and through the fault of someone else that they have contracted with and you cannot perform your work, they pay for the wasted time.
    It may make the customer a little more demanding/careful when ordering.
    Just be straight and up front with people, explain why and most will understand, those that don't may not have been ideal customers anyway.

ScottTB

Rogerthecat speaks a lot of sense!

Experiance suggests that if you charge for an estimate you don't get a look in at all; better to have a chance of winning the work than not being asked to quote at all!

A better question might be "why did the work go to someone else?". I'm sure the people who asked for the quote would give you a stright answer if you asked – then you can adapt your business without having to guess at the reasons for lossing out.

As for the non-delivery issue; I'd expect to be charged if a third-party didn't deliver – wouldn't think too many folks would have an issue with it, you're there ready to work and as long as you had nothing to do with the parts supply then you should be ok to charge for the days work (they might find some other jobs that need doing while you're there and they're paying…)

Hope that helps for what it's worth.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't think you can charge for estimates – just add it in as an overhead when pricing up.

if the stuff isn't there when you are ready to start work and its the client who ordered it then paying for the wasted day seems reasonable. Perhaps not a full days labour but at least half a day.

grantway
    Free Member

I fit and make High End furniture
    I dont charge to estimate but I do ask for half days pay if I cant work
    due to client or other trades not finished in time or clearly in the way
    for me not being able to work.

When you are booked then thats final But most kitchens do have problems
    and other trades do go over time.
    You are responsible to keep in touch with the client to make other plans if things Dont go
    to plan.

You should draw up a contract and or make these points clear before and begin the work.

project
    Free Member

Sometimes the customer says their mate/relative/freind is doing the job cheaper(perhaps because they dont pay tax and are already employed).

As for chargeing for missed work due to suppliers non delivery, i usually supply the stuff myself, where as the plumbers and electricians,are the ones the customer wants to do the job,and to stop them disapearing off the job, they agree to pay.

Also what happens if the customer refuses to pay.

ScottTB

Project,

Not sure what you mean in the second paragraph, sorry.

As for non-payment – as long as you have a contract in place that clearly states the terms and they then refuse to pay you can apply to the Court's for a County Court Judgement (CCJ). This is usually only a formality if the contract is stronmg enough – then you can get a court appointed bayliff to knock the door and get your money!

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I ve been self employed furniture maker and restoter for nearly 20 years do rough estimates quick and free then tie the customer in to you be charming and win the work , their will always be cheaper people but they will not last , do not , cut corners or you will lose out and always tell the customer it straight eg yes i am expensive but i am good and i will do what you want .

good advice?

i am still busy but poor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Self employed questions’ is closed to new replies.