Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • second interview help….
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Going back for a second interview next week. The first was great and suited me perfectly as it was all technical. I have no idea what the second is going to be and can only assume the worse and its going to an HR type one with roles plays and stuff.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for a second interview or do you have any idea what I can expect?

HELP!

alexxx
    Free Member

whats the job? might help!

wors

my second interview was the job offer !

jam-bo

i had a second interview for this job i'm doing now. it was essentially a pay and benefits discussion…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its a devleoper role for a large retail chain. Mainly database stuff with what sounds like a lot of analysis….. But I stormed all the technical stuff in the last interview. They only just told me I am going back they havnt said when/where or what I will be doing. Last time I had a second interview I had to give a presentation to a web cam audience 🙁

alexxx
    Free Member

Like Jambo said it will either be fine details and easy going or it will be to work out if you can handle a variety of situations, just make sure youre confident and cool and it will breeze by, if you know the technical and you can relay it then nothing to worry about, bet your fine!

monotokpoint
    Free Member

If you are going through an agency, speak to them and ask them to brief you. If they know the client well they should be able to prep you for who you are meeting, interview style and how other candidates have been successful or otherwise etc etc.
    If you are direct, try and see if you can speak to the HR department contact you may have. You shouldn't have to attend an interview completely blind without the opportunity to prepare

geetee1972
    Free Member

You absolutely should call to ask what the objectives of the second interview will be; it demonstrates interest, commitment, planning and preparation. You can only win by calling to ask what to expect, what to plan for etc. If they say it's a surprise then so be it, but it's very unlikely.

If you've covered the technical capability part of the interview, then they might be looking in the second interview to assess the 'behavioural capability' stuff. For a technical person, I know this is hard to give credit to (you guys are always referring to it as the 'soft fluffy stuff' ;o) but it's likely to be important if they are going to explore it. It could cover things like, how you manage your time, how you engage others/work as a team member in order to get things done, how you might approach a conflict type situation with a colleague etc.

Think about the role and what else that role will need you to be good at apart from the coding aspects. The world is full of people who can write good code, do technical analysis etc, so it's the other aspects of 'how' you go about your work that is going to differentiate you from the competition.

If you find out that you have to under go psychometrics, let me know as I may be able to give you more insight into what to expect with those.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Thanks geetee1972 i'm off to find a quiet room to give them a ring…..

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Find out about the company and it's current projects so when they ask you if you have any questions, you will have some. It helps if it's not a one-way interview.
    If yopu find something out that looks interesting, ask aout it, even if you already know the answer.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Work in a similar field and second interview is normally meeting a few team members, pay and bonus discussions, and normally a job offer at the end.

But as mentioned above it never hurts to call and ask.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

oh and good luck

soma_rich
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Was not able to get through to them today. But will let you know how it goes. I am a little less worried about it now 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

not able to get through, is it a scam, where there hidden cameras? 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

definatly not a scam. Just couldn't get hold of the HR girl…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘second interview help….’ is closed to new replies.