Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Seawater + merino = advisable?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Currently at 32,000 ft above Belarus, en route to Vietnam. I’ve forgotten my Helle Hansen poly pro base layer – which I use as a rash vest for tropical ocean swimming – drat!

Is there any chance my Aldi merino top (currently packed!) will survive the seawater immersion experience without falling to bits?

Apparently – according to the internetz – salt water was used to condition wool in the past – so I’m hopeful this might work out!

Alternatively – any tips on where I can buy a rash-vest in Saigon would be most appreciated

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ho Chi Minn City 😉

There will be tons of places selling authentic and/or rip off rash vests either in HCMC or on the coast. Are you going to Mui Ne / Phan Thiet btw ?

I love Vietnam. Enjoy ba-ba-ba 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I often wear merino Ts for kayaking on the sea in the summer and whilst that’s normally in conditions when I don’t expect to get very wet I do still often get plenty of spray. Haven’t noticed any particular problems with it falling to bits.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sweet – cheers! I was practically having a panic attack at the thought of my forgetting such an essential bit of kit earlier. Nevertheles I’m sure I can sort this problem in Ho Chi Minh shortly.. 🙂

Got to avoid sunburn at all costs! And if I go diving – poly pro thermal layer is essential to keep warm!

Cheers dude.. 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Great – thanks guys – I can enjoy my holiday now 😀

Literally no_idea where I’m going (yet!). Will probably involve a mixture of forests, ‘culture’ and beaches though! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

The only issue I’ve found is that they tend to go baggy when soaked through, which is why I tend to wear long sleeve synthetics when I expect to get wetter. Something to consider if you’re planning on swimming in it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You will smell like a steaming sheep with a major BO problem if you don’t rinse and dry it after use.

nedrapier

Sweat is pretty salty.

paule
    Free Member

Great under a wetsuit or drysuit, but stretch out and get in the way in their own

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Seawater + merino = advisable?’ is closed to new replies.