Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • sealing a flue
  • SaxonRider

In the wake of the recent woodstove thread, I have to get on with doing something with my chimneys. One I will be putting a proper stove in shortly, but the other I am going to have to seal up and put an electric fire in.

Any suggestions on what material I should use to seal up the flue with?

Is there anything else I should know about sealing it before I begin?

Thanks in advance.

Taff
    Free Member

With the one that you’re sealing off completely, presuming that its a completely seperate chimney then I would cap it off at the head with a big bit of slate or paving slab if you can’t get hold of the slate. Are you closing up the fireplaces too?

markrh
    Free Member

Its a good idea not seal it completely, kinda defeats the object i know but you can have problems with damp in it if you seal them up completely.

SaxonRider

It’s two parallel chimneys that converge in the loft and exit as one.

One I will be using for a proper woodfire; one I want seal just above the fireplace opening so that I can stick one of those electric fires in the hole, with the possibility of putting a second woodburner in at a much later date.

Taff
    Free Member

On the outlaws house we framed and plasterboarded the fireplace leaving an alcove but put in a 200x200vent within the plasterboard so that the void could breath a little without leaving a draught. This was to prevent a spider nesting colony

Taff
    Free Member

In that case I would temporarily seal up the electric fire fireplace so that it can be removed in the future for cleaning etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘sealing a flue’ is closed to new replies.