Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SD card help
  • ventanarider
    Free Member

m
    having returned from riding in spain my SD card has decided it can’t be read by camera or laptop.
    Anyone know if there is a way of recovering the photos?

CountZero

?

donsimon
    Free Member

Can you see the photos using the camera?
    Do you have a card reader?

Don’t panic there is recovery software available.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Sandisk provide recovery software with their Extreme cards

CountZero

Sorry about the ? I couldn’t see anything when I opened the thread. As above, there is data recovery ‘ware available, some of it free, but the best stuff costs a bit, likely around £25-30.

sharki
    Free Member

You can download recovery software, also some photo developing shops have software that can do a deep scan of corrupt cards.

I lost about 300 very important photos this summer due to a corrupt card, in this case they weren’t recovered..

Best of luck with yours.

ventanarider
    Free Member

on laptop it either doesn’t even notice the card or it says it needs formatting, on the camera it says memory card error

donsimon
    Free Member

It looks like you need recovery software, which I know nothing about. Some suggestions above or get to a photo shop for advice and maybe pay for professional recovery if the photos are valuable. 😥

I don’t know if this is your case, but I would suggest using numerous smaller memory cards rather than the largest you can find. It simply means that in cases like this, you only lose a precentage of your photos and that percentage isn’t 100! 😉

stumpy01

I have tried Recuva in the past and it worked pretty well. It’s free (made by the people who do CCleaner.

I also tend to follow Don Simon’s advice and use a few smaller cards than one whopper, as you don’t run the risk of losing all images. Not that this helps you at the moment.

Do you format your card often? I can’t remember who recommended it and whether it does actually make a difference, but I was told to frequently format the card using the camera you intend to use it in, to reduce the risk of data corruption.

donsimon
    Free Member

Any joy?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’m presuming it’s been used in the laptop before? If it’s a new card make sure Your car reader works with SDHC over SD cards.

ventanarider
    Free Member

no luck yet. downloaded 2 lots of software but laptop doesn’t recognise a card in the reader 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

I used some downloaded software a while ago to see how it worked, and it was KRAP!

Maybe a trip to the pros and pay for recovery. 😥

lesoudeur
    Free Member

If your memory card is 4Gb or more, the card reader will have to be able to read an SDHC card which is the same size as an SD but not compatible with older card readers that can only read up to 2 Gb SD cards.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SD card help’ is closed to new replies.