Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Scott Genius….Any Good?
  • RickDastardly
    Free Member

Hello,
    I want to buy an All Mountain bike and have been offered a weeks loan of a Scott Genius.

I don’t know much about Scott. Are they any good?

I can only afford an alloy frame bike. If the deal is good should I consider buying?

Cheers.

neninja
    Free Member

A mate has a 2008 alloy framed Genius – he loves it.

I’m not so sure about the way it rides but it’s very light for its travel.

ash.addy
    Free Member

I had a 2008 genius 50 and it was a great bike bit of a do it all. Borrow it and suck it and see. Whats to lose.

Bregante

As above. Sounds like you’ve nowt to lose. I’ve always fancied a go on a Genius. Even more so with the new LT version.

flow
    Free Member

The most stupid shock placement on a bike ever

TooTall
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with shock placement – it works an awful lot better than most. I rode one for a couple of years and it never missed a beat – great bikes – a bit of a well kept secret.

sambob
    Free Member

I loved the one i tried, really light for the travel and the suspension works superbly. They seem to be quite firm once you’ve used up the sag until you need the rest of the travel, then there’s as much as you’d need. Would be a perfect long distance big mountain bike IMO.

grantus
    Free Member

I think they are one of the nicest looking bikes out there – just check if it has a replaceable mech hanger. a guy i know had a 2003 or 04 model and the hanger was integral to the rear swingarm. he had to get a rear swing arm as a result when the hanger got bent.

Think i remember him saying the guy in the shop told him scott had changed it in 2005 to a replaceable hanger but might be worth checking.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Love the idea, look great, dubious shock placement fir a British winter without fitting some type of guard. Only issue I’d have would be the possibke difficulty in shock servicing / replacements

honourablegeorge

I know lots of people with Ransoms, and every one of them had huge grief with the own brand shock. Dunno if the Genius suffers in the same way

geologist
    Free Member

Ive got one, and its great. I love the versatility of it. On full travel copes with anything that I can throw at it (and im a 13st duffer), yet it is light and can deal with full day epics no probs.

When I come to renew my full suss, I would defo think about another Genius.

Only had the shock serviced once, and it is a 2008 model. Still runs like a dream. Rear shock servicing is not a prob, Hope service them, you just need to post it to Hope.

flow
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with shock placement

I can’t see it being the best place for a shock in the British winter, being right next to the rear wheel, directly in the firing line of all the shite.

RagTi
    Free Member

My mate has a lovely 09 finishing on ebay tommorow night (carbon MC20).
    They are top bikes.

neninja
    Free Member

Actually talking to my friend tonight he’s decided to sell his 2008 Genius (I think it’s a 20) – looking for £750.

Comes with 2008 32 Talas 100-140 and has seen relatively little use as he’s always had other bikes.

RickDastardly
    Free Member

Thanks for all the good advice.

I am getting the bike on Tuesday 20th for a week. I am going to take it on the toughest route I am capable of doing.
    As I have no full suss experience I don’t know what I am looking for.
    Should be a nice step up from my Specialized Rockhopper SL!

Thanks again.

Have a lovely evening.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Get the bike shop to set the rear shock.Not the easiest shock to get just right.

TooTall
    Free Member

I can’t see it being the best place for a shock in the British winter, being right next to the rear wheel, directly in the firing line of all the shite.

It works in the reverse of other shocks – closed normally, then opens when the shock moves, so protected far more than others for the majority of the time. I rode the worst of Chilterns gloopfest winters for several years – with wheels clogging from mud – and it was a faultless shock throughout. It might be in the worst place, but it shrugs it off.

Phototim
    Free Member

Assuming it’s a recent ish model, it will use the equalizer 2 rear shock which is far better than the shock on the Ransom. Setup is a lot easier than people think with instruction on the shock itself, although you will need the special high pressure shock pump that comes with the bike. You can use this tool to help you (at the top of the page):

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/support/europe

Basically you just set the positive chamber according to your weight (I run slightly less than recommended for my weight on my Genius LT), then set the negative chamber and then set the two rebound dials both the same and to your liking. Simples.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Scott Genius….Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.