Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scotland access rights – please explain…
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Is it true that there is no distinction between on foot/bike/horse?

rs
    Free Member

well we can tell them apart, but yes we can ride where we like pretty much as long as we do so responsibly.

druidh
    Free Member

Basically, correct.

Of course, what is responsible might limit your choices.

Oh – there was a court case recently involving a path and it being restricted to certain users, but that (currently) is a one-off.

falkirk-mark

Access rights are not very good here you would be better staying where you are.

balfa
    Free Member

Essentially there is no distinction. However, its meant to be responsible access not a free for all.

Access rights extend to cycling. Cycling on hard surfaces, such as wide paths and tracks, causes few problems. On narrow routes, cycling may cause problems for other people, such as walkers and horse riders. If this occurs, dismount and walk until the path becomes suitable again. Do not endanger walkers and horse riders: give other users advance warning of your presence and give way to them on a narrow path. Take care not to alarm farm animals, horses and wildlife. If you are cycling off-path, particularly in winter, avoid:
    – going onto wet, boggy or soft ground; and
    – churning up the surface.

Full Access Code

stevomcd
    Free Member

Better to turn it around. Is it true that England makes bizarre distinctions between different modes of transport* regarding access? 😉

*OK, I’ll caveat that with “non-motorised” before the pedants step-in!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Many bridleways turn into footpaths (or disappear completely!) as they cross the border between South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
    Seems to be a lot better in Scotland.

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – it’s rubbish. Have a look at an OS map of England and one of Scotland. See all those little pink trails on the English on showing all of the various tracks and paths?? Tons of them. Now look at the Scottish one. That’s right, there’s hardly any.

See – much better south of the border.

rudedog
    Free Member

In Scotlandshire, we just let our fists do the talking.

I’m only joking btw – I’m on my first/last warning so its probably a good idea to let the mods know when I’m being daft 😛

Macavity
    Free Member

From the 12th August onwards its the people with the shotguns that have the right…

Even if you are a grouse riding a bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scotland access rights – please explain…’ is closed to new replies.