Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scotish Highlands
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Aviemore next week, Any news on trail conditions, How bikable?

So I hear the singletrack off the top Of Burma roads finished with,
    carn Ban Mor a decent bikable ride and doesnt seem to be affected by the rain too much.

Had a monster ride down the Lairig an Laoigh and back via geldie and feshie but a feeling the bad weathers called this off for me unless anyone can confirm the condition of it?

sniff
    Free Member

Lots of rain in the last week but has been dry a couple of days now. I’d be wary of any river crossings for a few days

lewismorgan
    Free Member

So i see, lets just pray for good weather, if not sat round the log burner slurping malts sounds good to me!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

looks like Carn Ban Mor should be ok,
    Just The Lairig I’m worried about!

fergal
    Free Member

If you don’t mind manmade trails with a trail center feel, there is always Meall Buchaille down to Ryovan, lower Lairig Ghru.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Seriously, take some midge repellent or deet.

I got bitten to pieces on the other side of the cairngorms the other day. Midges and large black flying thngs. No idea what they were. possibly clegs.

13thfloormonk

Whats this about Burma Road? I’ve never ridden it but had always planned to at some point..

fergal
    Free Member

From the summit at the large cairn head left down some rocky bogfest of a trail, will be out of bounds at the moment unless bog snorkling really appeals, play nice.

fergal
    Free Member

If you really want to shred the gnar try Loch Eileen, the south side now even wider and smoother, should be fine on a mobility scooter, thanks Rothiemurchus estates.

druidh
    Free Member

The paths round Loch an Eilein have, indeed, made been made suitable for motorised mobility scooters and the like – they are marked as such on the estate map. Part of the them providing “access for all”.

Given that there’s loads of other, better, stuff available in the immediate vicinity (and Loch an Eilein, frankly, isn’t all that much anyway) it never occurred to me that this was a loss.

fergal
    Free Member

The thing that gets me is the way the whole area has been sanatised, years ago the trail from cairngorm bridge to loch morlich was quite splendid on a riged, a few rooty bits to entertain, now a smooth gravel highway WTF, it’s happening all over the gorms, the track over the shoulder of Bynack mor, **** trashed, it seems the smug middle classes are scared of getting mud on there boots, to be honest i found more natural trails down in that great wilderness of the Quantocks 😉

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Hmm There are plenty of fantastic riding about, its just finidng it,
    I Think Carn Ban Mor is completely bikable?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

weather actually seems to be picking up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scotish Highlands’ is closed to new replies.