Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scientists! Get this invented NOW!
  • Stu_N

As I cooked on the climbs and froze on the descents on my nightride, I came up with an excellent idea for a material for jackets that science hasn’t yet invented.

I want a material that is open and breathable when it’s not windy, but closes down to be windproof when it is. Would need to be sensitive to relative air pressure across the garment, or something like that, so that the fibres swell up more on the upwind side the stronger the wind blows.

Ventile has done this for water for 50 years, so surely it’s not beyond the ken of modern materials to sort it for wind?

What do you all think (and no I am not on crack).

MrNutt
    Free Member

are you on crack?

crazy-legs

Such a product has already been invented…

Incredible things, very lightweight and cheap.

😉

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

make it, and sell it to berghaus or race face?

dont baselayers do this…..

bassspine
    Free Member

I’m with Stu_N; that would be brilliant: climbing the pass/breathable, descending/windproof

Suggsey
    Free Member

Its called the Altura Attack Jacket and it has some of those super dupa lightweight zip type things under the arms and at the front. Sleeves that you can push up your arms and rolls down to a small pack size and breathes really well IMO.

chewkw
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

are you on crack?

😆

Cougar

There was a material that was advertised as doing this a couple of years back, the movement of air activated the fibres. It was a make of toilet paper.

Stu_N

Zips are OK as an interim solution (much like a Walkman sort of did the job before we had iPods).

This would be the entire fabric opening and closing in response to windiness. It would be awesome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scientists! Get this invented NOW!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM