Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Schwalbe procore vs 650b+ have we done this?
  • soulwood
    Free Member

It seems we want 650b+ for running lower pressures, increase contact patch, reduce trail chatter etc, but find the tyres fragile or too heavy. Doesnt procore provide a solution cheaper than new wheels and tyres? Has anyone got any experience of procore or has it been overtaken by the thirst for new tyres and wheels, a visible upgrade rather than an invisible one? Genuinely interested as it seems the trailblazers are not good up front so people are opting for nobby NICs and finding clearance issues with Reba forks. I know so many baby robins and kittens will probably perish as a result of this thread. But it will be for a good cause. Memorials will be erected throughout the land.

scotroutes

Who is “we”? I find the tyres just fine.

Genuinely interested as it seems the trailblazers are not good up front

Hardly a surprise given their tread pattern and “typical” UK conditions 😆 I found the FatBNimble similarly overwhelmed in mud.

so people are opting for nobby NICs and finding clearance issues with Reba forks.

I’ve got 3″ NNs in Rebas and there’s tons of clearance. Oh – they are the Boost version of course – the ones designed for 3″ tyres.

soulwood
    Free Member

So the idea of fitting 650b+ straight into regular 29ers doesn’t work at the front, needing a boost Reba fork?

scotroutes

It doesn’t work too well at the back either if you want wide rims and tyres.

soulwood
    Free Member

So procore should be the better answer for a regular 29er?

fifeandy
    Free Member

A) To say trailblazers suck on the front is a bit of a generalisation. Like any other tyre, they perform better in some conditions than others. We are having an amazingly dry spell here in fife, and on dry buff trails it has insane grip. Not tried it yet, but expect same to be true of trail centre hardpack.

B) I dont feel like + and procore address the same problem. One give a huuuge contact patch and grip, the other allows you to batter through rock gardens without paying a penalty of increased pressures.

scotroutes

soulwood – Member
    So procore should be the better answer for a regular 29er?

No idea. I’ve never ridden Procore, so can’t say it with any certainty, but I don’t see it would address my requirements.

soulwood
    Free Member

Has anyone ever used procore or even met someone who has? Or even met someone who met someone that used procore? I have heard of that there dry spell in Scotland, I was surprised to visit Edinburgh a few days ago and I got sunburnt! In Scotland! It was crap weather in Sheffield when I left so expected worse weather.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Its about time we had a decent spell of weather up here, its about 4 years overdue! Hasn’t always been that warm, but i’ll take it compared to cold/rainy.

Back on topic – tad concerning for Schwalbe when sunny days in Fife outnumber procore users in the UK!

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve got pro core on my 650b full sus. The jury is still out for me whether it’s worth it. I haven’t had a puncture since I’ve had it but that’s not really the reason why I got it. I’m a large ish lad, 16st or so and I’ve always had a love hate relationship with tubeless and I’ve always had problems with tyres burping. All manner of tyre/rim combinations have been tried with zero success. With pro core I never get it as the inner tyre is pressing 80 psi into the rim wall.

On tech steep stuff it’s mind blowingly good. Absolutely stunning you get soooooo much grip. Also even if it’s wet std tyres don’t clog as the tyre is deforming all the time. But, when the trail gets smoother and flatter it’s gets harder work imo. I’m still playing around with tyre pressures but so far I like it. Is it worth £150, no but if you get the chance to take a punt on a set for a reduced price like I did I’d take the chance.

soulwood
    Free Member

At last! Neil! A procore user. You sound like a similar rider to me. I trashed my rear wheel a week ago hitting a rock. This was due to still running a mud tyre that wasn’t really up to rocks. My usual tough tyre isn’t great in mud…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Procore ready to go in my new wheelset.

My thinking being that having busted 3 carbon rims it is actually an investment.

Hoping it will mean I can reasonably low pressures and not break rims. Plus I have had several races ruined by cutting my tyre on the bead when getting a little excited, so again tyres and race fees may not go to waste.

Will report back in September ;-P

BigDummy
    Free Member

if you get the chance to take a punt on a set for a reduced price

Exactly this! It’s a big investment by tyre standards. If it delivers what it reckons it does, it’ll be amazing.

I’ve half a mind to try and split a kit with someone and just do back wheels…

🙂

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve been using Pro Core for a few months now, really really good, grip is amazing and there is a definite increase in control, especially off camber stuff and roots etc.
    As per Neil above, i’m a bigish guy at 14st and 6’2″ and was terminally sick of blowing tubeless tyres off the rim through corners. I’ve never had that with pro core.
    Never ridden a + bike though, but heard horror stories of paper thin sidewalls stopping you from being able to run the super low pressures needed to get any advantage from the system.
    only issue with pro-core ive had is a blown inner tube as the sealant migrates to the inner tyre and glues it to the inner blue tyre and then it rips. time will tell if thats a one off, no response from Schwalbe though when i contacted them about it

soulwood
    Free Member

Are schwalbe still insisting that your lbs fit them? That to me seems to project the idea that it’s difficult to fit (although it looks simple enough) and adds labour costs.

soulwood
    Free Member

Dave, the inner tyre gluing to the outer tyre, was that using Schwalbe blue doc? I know they say any sealant can be used, but interesting observation.

STATO
    Free Member

Dave, the inner tyre gluing to the outer tyre, was that using Schwalbe blue doc? I know they say any sealant can be used, but interesting observation.

Inner tube gluing to the inner tyre, just like a normal tube you leave in a tyre too long, it sticks, but I imagine worse.

Ive got procore for my DH bike, but not run on it yet as waiting for new tyres to arrive, did a test fit with existing tyres and it was really really easy to fit after watching the video* and just going through the steps. The tyre levers that come with it are ace how the clip to the rim.

*really, watch the how to fit video, makes it so easy to do once you know how.

daver27
    Free Member

It was with Stans sealant admittedly, i’ve bought a new tube and fitted it with the Schwalbe blue dot fluid this time. I can’t imagine it makes any difference.

Also, the sealant migrates to the outer chamber filling holes on the valve and gets into the tube/valve assembly. this then blocks the top of the valve making it a pain to adjust pressures and deflate the tyre. literally took 10 minutes to empty the tyre to the point i could pop the bead seat.

to sum up, it offers game changing performance, but it is flawed and very very expensive (spare tubes are £25..). If you can deal with the quirks and the cost, it is totally worth it. If you want hassle free… maybe not.

and as a side note, also mentioned above, the tyre levers are absolutely ace!

STATO
    Free Member

It was with Stans sealant admittedly, i’ve bought a new tube and fitted it with the Schwalbe blue dot fluid this time. I can’t imagine it makes any difference.

New Doc Blue: Now even better formulated for Tubeless conversions. Produced by Stan’s NoTubes!

Not sure its exactly the same, might have different composition, but I cant imagine its that different.

Also, tubes can be had for £15 from Germany (plus post) now thankfully.

STATO
    Free Member

While we are talking about pro-core, and its kind of on subject, has anyone gone ‘down’ a level in strength, toughness or casing stiffness on fitting procore?

As everyone seems to agree the system does allow lower pressures and give some level of pinch protection, so just wondered if anyone had gone from say DH to AM tyres?

[need some new DH tyres and wondering if I can drop 200g and get a AM version of the same tyre]

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve gone from an exo case Maxxis HR2 on the back to a Schwalbe Rock Razor thats a good 200g lighter and not had an issue other than porous sidewalls.

The other advantage of Procore is it makes the outer tyre more progressive so more flexible tyres don’t squirm as they deform as the pressure ramps up quicker. I think that was one of the original design goals over pinch protection etc

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback. I have a few old AM tyres so might give them a try before I spend £30 on something that I might not like.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Been using official Procore and ghetto procore, (using a road tub), on the DH bike this season and it’s mint. Beauty of it is you use lighter folding ‘enduro’ tyres (~300g lighter), rather than the wired DH casings so you get a lighter wheelset.

Been running at 17psi Fr and 18psi Rr and grip is fantastic.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to ride one of the prototype procores (two separate valves) on a bike in Finale in Sept 2014. I was the only one in our group to not pinchflat or burp a tyre all week. Worked really well. The rest were all on std tubeless or tubes.
    Have bought some from BD.de now they’re getting a bit more reasonable and widely in-stock. Fitting later this week. Don’t think I’ll drop the rear from Supergravity to Snakeskin just yet though.
    For any big-ish fella, I think they’re the only realistic solution if you’re after the ability to batter through rocks at speed whilst retaining low pressures for grip.

STATO
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll drop the rear from Supergravity to Snakeskin just yet though. For any big-ish fella, I think they’re the only realistic solution if you’re after the ability to batter through rocks at speed whilst retaining low pressures for grip.

Yeah I think ill have a maxxis dual ply for the rear for France this year, just considering dropping a bit of weight for local stuff where I have to ride to trails. Im big-ish but I dont huck and rock gardens have nothing to fear from me, so I think the tyres should survive.

daver27
    Free Member

the main reason for me was to stop ripping tyres off in corners. its cured that!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe procore vs 650b+ have we done this?’ is closed to new replies.