Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Schmidt SON dynohub – worth the money….or should I go for Shimano?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I fancy building up a dynohub front wheel for touring. Does anyone have experience of either the Schmidt Son 28 hub or the Shimano DH-3N80. I doesn’t look like the Shimano hub has a 6 bolt disc option where the Schmidt does. There is about a £70 difference in the price between them.

I figure if I’m going to buy one I’d like it to be useable across a couple of bikes, one with a disc brake the other rim.

wwaswas

have a search on google for rob deans blog – lots of info there (and on here from him too).

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alfine dyno hub, can’t honestly see how the Schmidt can be any better, apart from using cartridge bearings rather than Shimano’s cup and cone crap. I never notice drag, thats running Supernova E3 LEDs front and rear. I’ve had it for about 2yrs now and it’s been spot on.

avdave2

My Schmidt is 6 years old the last 4 years it’s been on an off road commuter and it’s needed no attention whatsoever. It’s used in all conditions all year round.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Well I bit the bullet and went for a Schmidt Son Delux and Edelux light combo. They are beautifully hand made made. I just need to sort out the spoke length.

What spoke length for a 36h Son Delux crossing three onto a Mavic A719 700c rim?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha, I didn’t see this before, but I’d have guessed you’d go Schmidt!

No idea re spoke length, I might have used 2 x on mine, maybe.

bencooper
    Free Member

288mm built 3x according to my calculator.

And of course don’t remove that blue stuff until the wheel is done – it’s there to stop the spokes scratching the hub…

damitamit
    Free Member

I went for the cheaper (but lighter) option of a Shutter Precision PV-8 from Taiwan and a B&M Cyo last week. Was great on the dunwich dynamo at the weekend. Not as bright as my big mtb light but a much better use of the light meaning it was much better for road riding (even on the fast bits).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No idea re spoke length, I might have used 2 x on mine, maybe.

Al, it’s for my touring bike which will have a front rack too, so a wee bit of extra strength would be worthwhile. Having said that Mme Moonteresse rode the TA with a 32h Open Pro with a front rack and panniers.

jimc101
    Free Member

Had my SON Delux for just under 2 years now, and it’s done about 12,000 KM in the best and worst weather the UK has to offer and has been flawless in operation.

Got it from SPA Cycles, they orginally built it with a Rigida Chrina, similar to an Open Pro, but lasted 1 year before the braking surface was worn concave, so replaced with an Open Pro.

Have also got an XT T785 dynamo disc hub to build up for another bike, expecting the performance to be the same, but it is a lot heavier than the SON.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Schmidt SON dynohub – worth the money….or should I go for Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.