Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Schengen collapse – impact on border resort areas ?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

If the whole Schengen thing collapses and borders are restored everywhere, this could have an impact on our ability to ride and ski between countries, e.g. like Portes du Soleil between France and Switzerland.

I’ve done a few hops now both on bike and skis between France & Switzerland and Italy & Switzerland, and it’s rather nice to do it with no border control and I don’t even carry my passport with me.

Though maybe they won’t be concerned with these areas unless refugees start buying mountain bikes, skis or snowboards.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

#firstworldproblem.

How horrible for you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You see all this going on with refugees and this is what you think of ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..it’s rather nice to do it with no border control and I don’t even carry my passport with me.

Though maybe they won’t be concerned with these areas unless refugees start buying mountain bikes, skis or snowboards.

Take your passport with you just in case.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There hasn’t been any border control on Alpine passes between Switzerland/Italy/France for long before Schengen. Even if it where to collapse (which IMO it won’t) you’ll still be able to ride freely between the two. As an side it’s the law in France to carry your passport or ID with you (or produce it at a police station) but that’s not enforced, we don’t carry our passports round all day when on holiday. FWIW my French wife carries hers religiously 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

FWIW my French wife carries hers religiously

There you are deadkenny, sorted. Any other questions ?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    You see all this going on with refugees and this is what you think of ?

I’ve been thinking of the refugees and migrants for a long time, this is just a side thought about potential side effects after talk of the Schengen agreement potentially collapsing. I’m more concerned about Russia’s involvement in Syria and where that’s going, but I’d be discussing that somewhere other than a bike forum 😉

jambalaya – Member
    There hasn’t been any border control on Alpine passes between Switzerland/Italy/France for long before Schengen. Even if it where to collapse (which IMO it won’t) you’ll still be able to ride freely between the two.

Good point.

andytherocketeer

No border control, but they do have patrolling customs control.
    But that’s more to catch chancers buying too many duty free fags in places like Ischgl (or somewhere near there).
    Only know one person that got caught.
    I tend to carry passport with me, but that’s more for the case where I miss the last lift back from Les Crosets to Avoriaz (been dangerously close), although that was when the road border crossing was still manned.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think it was about 20 years ago I managed 3 countries in one day on the bike over some passes in the mountains

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Unless that is a troll you are part of the problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

?? Really just pointing out that mountain trails don’t have passport controls

andytherocketeer

huh? it’s only part of problem if you storm the border with 12,999 others (with no valid passport and right to travel).

Nearly managed 4 in a day once. Very easy if Liechtenstein is one of them.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Depends what problem you think I’m referring to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps you could enlighten us

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why would I do that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good point, then we would know what you were talking about are you ukip?

jambalaya
    Free Member

😯

How can we be having a row about this ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How can we be having a row about this ?

About what ?

I got lost between 3 mountain passes and Liechtenstein.

I’ve got no idea what this row is about

chewkw
    Free Member

I hope the whole Schengen thing collapses and borders are restored everywhere … you apply for visa like every non-EU people … Ya, that you learn you!

Ya, restore the borders … 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how long ago did you need a visa to travel through Europe with a UK passport?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I did the Freeraid years ago (before it became known as the Passeport, it was timed, you got certificates, and we also needed to get back in time to get the all the lifts up to Grange au Frene camping above Les Gets), and as we were hurtling towards a border crossing a cop/guard stepped out into the road and shouted at us. Just as we’d nearly come to a halt worrying the passports were back in the campsite he burst out laughing and waived us passed.

Hilarious, it was…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got no idea what this row is about

George got on his high horse but hasn’t yet decided why. Everybody else is waiting to see if he does.

chewkw
    Free Member

Border control is only to control the legals, if you are illegals coming in en-mass there is not much the system can do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having travelled throughout Europe since the late 80s border control is a quick check if anything it’s hardly a control of the legals.

zippykona

In the 80s I got stopped on my motorbike between France and Belgium. My friend and his girlfriend sailed through.
    As I had more room on my bike than they did ,I had her luggage. The search went really well as they started pulling her undies out of my panniers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Schengen collapse – impact on border resort areas ?’ is closed to new replies.