Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Scandal 26 or 29 as a single speed………any reason why not?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Was going to press buy on the in bred 26er or 29er slot drop out as want to run ss with a possibility of gearing in the future but now tempted by the scandal 26 er or 29er…………any reason why it would be a bad idea to but the scandal for a ss.

Want to take advantage of on one sale before it finishes!

nuke

Go for it. Scandal will make a great SS bike but you’ll need to get SS dropouts as they don’t come with them.

slowboydickie

None. Depending on the size it will be much lighter. Mine rides superbly.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks nuke, do you work for on-one!!?

Two quick questions before I buy a scandal….have i read somewhere that ss dropouts are £30? And finally…are both the 26 and 29er ok to run as single speeds, any problems with either?

nuke

Thanks nuke, do you work for on-one!!?

😀 Nope but I do have a very nice Scandal 29er (the raw does look great…kind of pre-worn)

Think Brant said on the O-O sale thread that you might need to do a bit of filing of the swapouts but nothing major 😕

slowboydickie

They were £30 for the SS dropouts and mine (29er) did not need filing to fit. The DMR chain lugs however…

whatgoesup

I’ve got a geared and a ss one, very happy with both. had to file my dropouts (I posted a pic of the filed dropout on here a while ago) but I think it’s maybe just a v2 issue

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ran reverse spring tensioner on vert dropouts for years no issue. That’s the beauty of ss…cheap biking!

TooTall
    Free Member

Other than it being a bit like buying a colour TV and turning the colour and contrast down so it looks like a black and white, go for it.

gaberin
    Free Member

Isn’t the 26er one vertical dropout only, without the swap out? So can only be run geared..

specializedneeds

26er may be vertical dropouts only, but that doesn’t necessarily mean geared only. I chose the vertical dropout Inbred for my SS, as I prefer a tensioner (instead of tugs): fixed position brake calliper, adjusts for chain wear automatically, easy to get the wheel in/out for transporting in the boot.

A Surly Singulator and a half link worked well for me.

rOcKeTdOg

buy a 26″, add a 29″ front wheel for a niche not many follow

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Scandal 26 or 29 as a single speed………any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.