Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • SC Blur XC carbon, the best bike ever?
  • glynP
    Free Member

A lovely new Blur XC Carbon arrived at the shop last friday, we have all been out for a spin down the local woods, everyone to a man (sorry no women riders have tried it yet)says that its the best bike they have ever ridden. Its pretty light at 23lbs but its super stiff and accurate. It tracks like no other bike I've ever ridden yet the travel feels endless. It makes you wonder why we need long travel bikes. I like it with the forks set at 140mm some of the other guys a bit less. Even Mikey and Chris the two downhillers say its superb to jump as well. Anyone else tried one of these?
    If your in SW scotland and fancy a blast the give us a shout, we will also be doing a demo day soon and will have the Blur LT and Nomad carbon as well.

njee20
    Free Member

Never got on with the alu ones, be interested to try the carbon one though.

gothandy

I thought the XC comes with 120mm on the front?

RepacK
    Free Member

Riding a Blur Xc carbon with 140mm forks will invalidate the warranty mate..

glynP
    Free Member

I think your wrong about the warranty

RepacK
    Free Member
    glynP
    Free Member

Mmmm seems your right, it felt great with the forks set at 140 although there was a lot of sag and I think I was the only one who rode it like that, maybe its just me, I like em slack!

RepacK
    Free Member

Technically that bike is now fekked..

aviemoron
    Free Member

I prefer the clown bike version.'

glynP
    Free Member

Repak you talkin s**t i,m about 8 stone soakin wet

RepacK
    Free Member

Dont be an arse – read the warranty. Technically Im right – wasnt looking for a fight, just pointing something out. You should have read the specs before putting a 140mm fork on the bike..

Hadge
    Free Member

Yip, not designed for 140mm forks and after reading what they have to say I agree with RepacK on that point. I'd also question any shop telling it's customers saying that a 140mm fork would be fine as if God forbid anything did happen, would the shop fork out for a frame replacement if Santa Cruz said no? Err I doubt it very much. It's meant for a 120mm fork so any owner buying new should stick to that.

scaredypants

so does this mean it isn't the best bike in the world ?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

or there will be a dirt cheap "ex demo" bike for sale soon 😆

ibis
    Free Member

Looks for Made in China Sticker 😛

Trimix
    Free Member

Brilliant – best plug ever 🙂

glynP
    Free Member

The shop is not recommending a 140mm fork, I tried it cos its the way I like my bikes, it was one run and now it has the supplied 120mm fork, for gods sake the point is how good the bike is, I'll just get my coat and go home and kick the dug!

Metasequoia

I think you'll find that the Tallboy can be ridden with a 140mm fork without voiding the warrenty. Geometry would be v slack though.

PS the Tallboy is the 'best' bike ever 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

ladies ladies (no gentleman have yet entered this fray) don't use 140mm forks on the xc carbon blur. unless you have a shop. or a tallboy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jesus wept.

Repack becomes a TROLLING ZOO FIGHTER!

And on another note, has TLR been updated on this important news re the world's latest best bike?

stooo
    Free Member

Right, not caring about all the tittle tattle about fork lengths etc….

It sounds like my kinda bike, I'd be keen on a test ride of that, will be looking for a new frame for 120mm forks in the coming months. Where's your shop glyn? I'm in Innerleithen.

Do you know Dwain in Kilmarnock? Did I sell you some wheels once? Met up in troon, on the beach? Might not be you.

stooo
    Free Member

Actually, talking rubbish, think you sold me some wheels. Hope hubs, 321 rims. I'm a pal of Jamie M's.

glynP
    Free Member

Stooo! at last some sense and yes you did buy some wheels and big dwain is ma buddy, mail me for details of the shop etc

druidh
    Free Member

They're OK. Just another bike really.
    22042010210.jpg by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

nice pic, but a little way from its natural habitat of the car park :p

druidh
    Free Member

Lucky I had a loan of a 4×4 to get it there!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Looks amazing, a lot of money though. Would love to try one to compare with my 03/04 blur.

DezB
    Free Member

I prefer ASR to VPP, so best bike ever would probably be a 5C.
    And I bet you can have a 140mm fork on one of those.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Answer to priginal question is simple:

No its not the best bike ever

coogan
    Free Member

I was under the impression that because there is about 8 threads a week about them that the recycled filing cabinet that is an Orange 5 was the bestest bike ever in the whole wide universe of all time. Ever.

aracer
    Free Member

The best bike ever is an Islabikes Cnoc 14 (or whatever the nearest equivalent was 35 odd years ago). End of.

JCL
    Free Member

The 'best bike ever' wouldn't need a longer than recommended fork to sort the geometry.

anthonyb
    Free Member

I prefer ASR to VPP, so best bike ever would probably be a 5C.
    And I bet you can have a 140mm fork on one of those.

I agree i prefer the new yeti 5C as well, but your wrong in the fact that you can run 140's on it – that too would void your warrenty. 140's on the Alu yeti 5 is fine though….

druidh
    Free Member

anthonyb – Member

I agree i prefer the new yeti 5C as well, but your wrong in the fact that you can run 140's on it – that too would void your warrenty. 140's on the Alu yeti 5 is fine though….

See Page 11

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I am sorry to day, the Carbon Blur XC is NOT the best bike ever… However, the Carbon Blur LT? YES, that is the best… Plus, you can get up to a 160mm fork on the front if that tickles you fancy 🙂

anthonyb
    Free Member

druidh – Member

See Page 11

Yeah i noticed that they still had the Geo listed with 140's a while back in the 5c manual. But then Yeti removed that same info that was on its webpage for the 5C, i discussed it with a few guys/american distributers who already had the frames in here…

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582133

then got myself a demo on a Asr5 Alloy and confirmed with Yeti that the ASR5c is only warrentied for a 120mm fork and the Alloy for the 140mm.
    They should really update that manual…. 🙂

mikeep
    Free Member

Back on topic-

Well, I can’t say it’s the best bike ever as I’ve not ridden all the other bikes in the world.

But I can say that coming from an 8 year old Superlight, it feels amazing (even with a 100mm fork – I like to feel some of the ground I’m riding over!!).

Pros – stiff, outstanding climbing on technical stuff, very stable descending, instant out of saddle acceleration, backend feels like at least 120mm travel but no pedal bob.

Cons – erm, donno. Higher chance of it getting nicked?

@glynP, where in D&G are you at?

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t really get on with Blurs, I want to, but just don’t.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘SC Blur XC carbon, the best bike ever?’ is closed to new replies.