Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sat Nav question please help !
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 310 its about 4 or 5 years old.

My question is as follows the unit seems to calculate what seem to be really odd directions, yes it gets you there…I have changed setting i.e shortest route etc.
    If I was to upgrade are newer ones less likely to do this or will it be the same ? Have Sat Navs changed that much in the last few years. If I went to Halfords I'm sure they'd tell me to change it !

Thoughts please and thanks in advance.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought co pilot live for my iPhone for £25. Way better than the tontom one unit it replaced.

My TomTom sometimes takes me routes I wouldn't have picked myself, but always seems to get me there in the right time. You can switch between shortest or quickest routes in any case. It has IQ something or other which calculates the route based on traffic information for peak times. It also has HD Live traffic (sometimes hit or miss though), Google search – which finds pretty much anything you want and gives you the option to drive there, or call (via Bluetooth linked to my phone – I also use it as my handsfree system). Oh, it has speed cameras on it too.

MartynS

I found with the tom toms that the shortest route would do some bizarre things to cut corners.. but it was the shortest way.. have them set to quickest now, however really only need them for the last part of the journey, I kinda know how to get to most of the areas we go to so just ignore/mute it untill i need it

Flaperon

Never set to shortest route unless you fancy unintended detours down council estates and through people's back gardens. Tried it once on my TomTom and swore I'd never do it again!

Interestingly (??) I'm currently working round Middlesbrough with my ex director. Neither of us know the area so we both use sat navs – I use a tomtom and he uses a Garmin. They sometimes send us on different routes, but 9 times out of 10 I arrive sooner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sat Nav question please help !’ is closed to new replies.