Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Santa Cruz 5010 – prices/buying advice!
  • uphilla
    Free Member

It is looking like an impossible dream, but it is some years since I bought anything ‘new’ and as I have a milestone birthday this year it seems like a good time to treat myself to what I kid myself might be the last bike I buy 🙂 5010 carbon seems to tick the boxes at this point.
    Probably a silly question, but are there any ‘deals’ to had on the 5010 frame or complete bike?
    I have not costed it out, but guess that buying a complete bike is cheaper than buying a frame and sourcing parts yourself. So, the other option is to buy a frame and use parts I have plus some ‘low mileage’ used parts.
    Apart from ‘don’t’ any advice welcome! – I will have some stuff to sell that will partially fund this.

darrenspink
    Free Member

You’re not going to find any ‘deals’ as they don’t need to give it away…not yet anyway. You could wait until the next model comes out of course.

Cheapest way is to buy a frame and stick what you can on it then upgrade as and when you can afford. If you buy secondhand the frame warranty won’t apply which would be a bit of a disaster.

GHill

Personally, I don’t think the complete bikes are a particularly good deal. I’d definitely be buying frame only and kitting it out how I wanted it.

fathomer

I agree with GHill, I rekon by shopping around you’ll get a better spec for the same, if not less money than the full builds.

Edit: the SPX AM with XT and Fox 32’s is £5.6k on Evans, which is crazy.

Frame, £2.6k, XT group inc brakes £450, Pikes £600, reverb £200 and wheels £400, leaves over £1300 for tyres, bars, stem etc!

tomhoward

I have not costed it out, but guess that buying a complete bike is cheaper than buying a frame and sourcing parts yourself. So, the other option is to buy a frame and use parts I have plus some ‘low mileage’ used parts.

TBH, it isn’t all that much cheaper buying as a complete bike than a frame and DIYing it, epecially if you go for more ‘value’ kit (lowly-est spec is XT on a full build, so plenty of scope to go lower) or get the absolutle cheapest on the net, what ever you buy.

As for deals, nowhere is going to be doing 20% off rrp type stuff but I cant believe that if you walked in to the shop with £xxxx(x?) in readies and said ‘whats your best price for cash?’ you couldnt negotiate a few % off.

Superficial
    Free Member

I have not costed it out, but guess that buying a complete bike is cheaper than buying a frame and sourcing parts yourself.

It might be worth costing it out – I’m not sure that’s always the case with the more upmarket brands – particularly Santa Cruz. If you can get a good deal on a groupset and forks online then you might be surprised. Plus, you get to pick and choose exactly the bits you want.

tomhoward

It might be worth costing it out – I’m not sure that’s always the case with the more upmarket brands – particularly Santa Cruz. If you can get a good deal on a groupset and forks online then you might be surprised. Plus, you get to pick and choose exactly the bits you want.

Find a shop that price matches, buy the frame from them, then do a custom build with the shop, matching the prices of all the components. Winner. Though not really in the spirit of ‘supporting ones LBS’

though I do think the RRPs on SC full builds are a bit of a ‘negotiation start point’ rather than ‘this is what you WILL pay’

simonbowns
    Free Member

We can do a really pretty sweet deal, especially on a complete build – certainly better value than the off the peg builds. You also get full choice on component sizes/colour/which tyre etc. It’s what we’ve done on our own bikes too, makes much more sense imho.

Fire me an email if you’d like to chat through details. I might be biased (have a 5010 myself) – but you’ll not go wrong with that bike!

info@18bikes.co.uk

simonbowns
    Free Member

certainly no problem to re use existing parts too – that’s pretty commonplace tbh.

antares
    Free Member

I bought a frame and sourced parts myself, ended up costing me £5k in total and after seeing that £5.6k build in Evans last week I reckon I did alright for myself. 🙂

cultsdave
    Free Member

I costed out a Bronson in the same way. It was way cheaper sourcing the parts yourself and you get what you want.

uphilla
    Free Member

Greatly encouraged, Thanks! Starting to look possible 🙂

SBrock
    Free Member

my Hecker build

cost £3174

Santa Cruz Heckler Frame
    Pike RCT3
    Hope Taper Headset
    Flows/PRO2 Evo
    Easton EA70 Carbon Bars (u)
    Thomosn Stem (u)
    Shimano SLX Double
    Shimano XT Cassette
    SRAM X9 Shifters R/L
    SRAM X7 Rear Mech
    Shimano SLX Front Mech
    SRAM PC971 Chain
    SRAM PC971 Chain
    Maxxis HR2 TR EXO
    Maxxis HR2 TR EXO
    Thomson Post (u)
    Shiman Saint MX80
    WTB Pure V
    Stans Valves
    ODIRogue
    Hope Tech 3 E4

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did a long spreadsheet to build mine and the missus Blur LTc’s

Outcome was for an initial investment for her the Basic build kit was the best option with a fork upgrade then upgrade as we went – we did a swap out on the wheels with the LBS. 18 months on and there isn’t much of the existing build left.

I did mine as a full custom build but using complete bargain parts (the lbs has most of what I wanted available at the right price) the build was at a price I won’t discuss but was very good.

When we came to the missus and her Tallboy as it was out first trip into 29 the build made sense again. She ended up going up a level or so and getting the X01 Fox Kashima build. We had no 29r wheels or fork just a drive train. The build price was better than we could have sourced from parts at the time. Couple that with it’s nice to have a new bike with new kit that works well and is all compatible.

Long and short if your moving to 650b then you probably can’t reuse wheels and forks – forks are certainly at a better price over here in Oz via SC than the other importer.

The one thing we have going for us down here is the Au$ is worth something where as the pound is still crap!

My only problem with the build kits is the lack of a SRAM option at the x9 level.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz 5010 – prices/buying advice!’ is closed to new replies.