Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Sam pilgrim interview
  • orangespyderman

“Kat George is an Australian writer living in New York. She is the creator of the web series “The Big Gulp” and author of the book “Pink Bits”. Her work can be found at VH1, The Village Voice, Noisey, i-D, Vice, The Gloss, Refinery29, and a bunch of other places.”

No thanks.

So that alone is enough to make you not want to read it? Why, out of interest? It’s a reasonable discussion of sexism, and isn’t particularly controversial (though I’m certain that STW will find controversy 🙂 )

geex
    Free Member

Not alone Spidey. no.

Seems Kat was 29 when she wrote that massively naive article.
    I wonder which other 20 something’s words John holds highly in his view of how the world works.

Perhaps Miley?

PrinceJohn

So massively sexist person – experiences sexism… OK.

geex
    Free Member

Who are you calling massively sexist?

johnners
    Free Member

Seems Kat was 29 when she wrote that massively naive article.

Because if anything makes what a woman says even less worthy it’s when she’s young, amirite? Or if she’s old. Or middle-aged, that would do it too. Oh, hang on…

andybrad

ooof getting a bit bitchy all this isnt it….

PrinceJohn

Who are you calling massively sexist?

From your dismissal to that article without reading it, & your other responses I am calling you massively sexist.
    Although a bunch of privileged white men arguing about sexism is pretty much peak STW.

tetrode
    Free Member

STOP BEING OFFENDED ON BEHALF OF OTHERS

Says the person using all caps haha!

geex
    Free Member

Used all caps to make it easier reading for the stupid.

Seems to have worked.

geex
    Free Member

I dismissed the article because it’s written by someone with very little experience on the subject of male discrimination.
    I actually skim read it. and can confirm it’s bollocks.
    But I had a pretty good feeling it would be by the use of “litterally” in the title.

have a look through Kat’s back catalogue of articles before hailing her as some sort of social philosopher.

PrinceJohn

Are we talking about male discrimination now? I thought this thread was about female discrimination until a someone decided to say ‘what about me!!’

geex
    Free Member

Yes we are John. It was you who brought the subject up.

rene59
    Free Member

Have a read of this then come back to me.

Written by a woman, telling men what they do or don’t experience and trying to dictate and redefine the meaning of sexism. Like she also does with racism. I’ll pass but thanks for posting although I couldn’t be arsed reading beyond the introduction.

geex
    Free Member

FWIW

joey here is one of my all time favourite riders to watch male or female

I’m also 100% in favour of equality. I’m just also 100% realistic about who the best mountain bike riders in the world today are and what sex they happen to be.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

He’s right, the current women are slower but it doesn’t mean that women won’t catch up in the future. However he sounds like a right arrogant, sexist prick by saying that he doesn’t ride with women because of it, there’s plenty men who are slow as and couldn’t keep up with women, even me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m just realistic about who the top mountain bike riders in the world today are and what sex they happen to be.

Who’s your top 10 then? Mine would have Rachel Atherton, Jolanda Neff & Cecile Ravanel in there for starters

there’s plenty men who are slow as and couldn’t keep up with women, even me

There was the tale from when a bunch of car park warriors jumped in the middle of the group of the ladies on one of T-Mo’s racing girls rides, they got chased down very hard by some very talented champions 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

He’s right, the current women are slower but it doesn’t mean that women won’t catch up in the future.

Too right! Who knows what evolution has in store for our species?

geex
    Free Member

I didn’t mean Joey was in my all time WOMEN’s favourite riders. I meant all time favourite riders full stop. I have way more than 10 favourite riders. You simply can’t categorise every rider either.

none of the three you mention are favourite riders of mine.

Your car park warrior tale is rather dull Mike. Soz Xx

geex
    Free Member

However he sounds like a right arrogant, sexist prick by saying that he doesn’t ride with women because of it

He didn’t actually say it in the way the “offended” of STW are saying he did.
    Sam has ridden with girls. The UK DJ scene is pretty small. and friendly.
    He just doesn’t go out progressively riding/competing/training with any. (for fairly obvious reasons)

nickc

The actual words reported were.

“I don’t ride with girls, I never would, they’re too slow”

there’s no qualifications, no exceptions, just a blanket no, I don’t think Sam needs you to put words in his mouth, geex, do you?

For clarification. the words he used were objectively sexist. There’s no denying it, they very clearly are. End. You can try to imply that he meant something else, or that it was out of context, but Hannah is, by any standards, a good enough journalist to report the truth.

Now, you may know Sam, you may know him to be open and willing to ride with women, this is besides the point. You can have a discussion about what some-one has said, vs the person they may well be. The two things can be separated. I have no beef with Sam Pilgrim, of all the stuff I’ve seen him in, he seems like a decent bloke. It doesn’t mean that what he said isn’t daft, and I don’t understand why folk are trying to defend it really.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WGAF, perenially offended excepted.

Folks who probably don’t know who Sam Pilgrim is, the rascal.

geex
    Free Member

this thread needs to be joined with the autism thread really.

“I don’t ride with singletrackworlders, I never would, they’re too slow”

geex
    Free Member

“A Note From Hannah:

This article originally appeared with the video interview, however it is clear that it could be taken out of context of the article, which was never my intention, and I’m sorry if anyone was upset by it – that’s not who I am. We had a fun chat, and following the interview Sam was impressed to see the riding skills of female friends we showed him on Instagram. The point of the article was to highlight how Sam’s comments had spurred me into acquiring some new skills, and to light heartedly suggest that maybe I could take him up on his suggestion that he could teach me to backflip in a day – not to have a go at Sam.”

Hmm…
    She can’t seriously be saying stirring up a bit of controversy at Sam’s expense in the very first paragraph wasn’t intentional? Especially considering the hand wringing tendencies of the readership here.
    If Hannah ever bumps into Warner in the pub after a few shandys she’s gonna end up DH world champ the following season. ;).

It’s cool to see how you’re progressing Hannah. STW could certainly do with a decent rider writing for them 😉

kerley
    Free Member

this thread needs to be joined with the autism thread really.

Because?

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe, just maybe Sam Pilgrim really doesn’t give a shit what you lot think anyway.

geex
    Free Member

Because of the difficulty some here clearly have in understanding that a collection of written words may in actual fact not have been delivered in the way they’ve percieve them to have from simply reading them.

Autism can mean even spoken words have a similar effect. My sense of humour is kinda dark and can be incredibly dry. It’s often quite subtle when I’m gently taking the piss but often far more obvious. This means many people often won’t get it… well… not straight away anyway. You too fall into this category pf person Kerley (autistic or not).

tick…

tock…

geex
    Free Member

I don’t care what Sam thinks either Dez.
    I’m not a girl 😉

or easily “offended”

PrinceJohn

Autism can mean even spoken words have a similar effect. My sense of humour is kinda dark and can be incredibly dry. It’s often quite subtle when I’m gently taking the piss but often far more obvious. This means many people often won’t get it… well… not straight away anyway. You too fall into this category pf person Kerley (autistic or not).

So earlier on you weren’t being sexist, you were being funny? I see that now.

geex
    Free Member

You don’t seem to see very much John.

It really wouldn’t surprise me to hear you fall over your own feet daily.

singlespeedstu

I recon geex is sexist too.
    Met him for a ride and he gave his ebike to Mrs stu to ride up one of the climbs while he rode her non ebike the sexist bastard.
    He was also really helpful and encouraging to her on the previous ride.
    I was shocked at his outdated behaviour.
    I’d have let her struggle.

geex
    Free Member

Scuppered.

It’s a fair cop guv.

nickc

may in actual fact not have been delivered in the way they’ve percieve them to have from simply reading them.

I watched the video, i still think it was an ill considered remark. Probably played for laughs, that came out wrong (if I’m being generous)

geek, just for reference, you don’t come across as someone with a dark sense of humour, you come across as an obvious troll with a desperate need for validation from a bunch of strangers on a bike forum.

geex
    Free Member

And yet you still stalk me trying to get one over and fail time and time again?
    hmm.. :/
    those sound like proper next level issues you got going on there nick.

how’s your blood pressure?

PrinceJohn

You don’t seem to see very much John.

It really wouldn’t surprise me to hear you fall over your own feet daily.

So in place of any argument you’re now resorting to cheap insults. Classy.

john_l
    Free Member

Where is this video? Seems to have disappeared, so sort of pointless trying to have an opinion.

geex
    Free Member

Haha. John. You’ve called me a lot of unfounded things in this thread. I’m merely pointing out you could benefit from opening your eyes a little.
    Not you John.
    The other John.
    ok john?

rene59
    Free Member

Met him for a ride and he gave his ebike to Mrs stu to ride up one of the climbs while he rode her non ebike the sexist bastard.

That’s only so the sexist pig could stare at her arse. Don’t be fooled.

geex
    Free Member

seems it’s monny o’clock again already guys

‘s’been emotional

I’ll leave you in the capable hands of pilgs. The bounder.

L8rz H8orz

orangespyderman

Not sure if I need to answer, as I’m not sure whether I’m one of those who commented and you think are either offended or under some illusion that Sam Pilgrim GAS what I think. I’m not at all offended in any way whatsoever, but I do think he missed a point that the kind of comment he made was an example of casual sexism, and I still think it was. He might still think it wasn’t. I am also absolutely convinced there are probably at least thousands of people whose opinion matters more to him than mine, if not millions. However, one of those might be a female MTB journo who interviews him and if he’s a decent guy (and I’ve every reason to believe those who have met him and say he is) I’d hope he’d listen to that feedback. What he does with the feedback afterwards is up to him.

Of course, this is a Catch-22 and that by clarifying that I’m not offended I’ll probably just come across as offended. Oh FFS 🙂

sirromj

In the video yeah, there was lots of laughing. There was no offensiveness.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Sam pilgrim interview’ is closed to new replies.