Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Sam pilgrim interview
  • andybrad

Can anyone point me to the link where Hanna interviews sam?

paton
    Free Member
    rene59
    Free Member

Well that was a bit strange.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, he has had a few bumps to the head.

pjm60
    Free Member

The video has been deleted – from memory, hannah asked sam valid questions about fear of injury, and a couple of times about the perception of slopestyle side of the sport being more associated with recreational drugs and partying than, say, cross country. They then talked about sam teaching hannah how to backflip, which he said he could do in one day. Hannah then asked about up coming british riders, Sam couldn’t name anyone in particular, but focused on men. Hannah then asked about up and coming female riders, which Sam couldn’t answer and made the “I don’t ride with girls” comment as a jokey reply.

paton
    Free Member

sirromj

Comments are a bit mental. Enjoyed the interview, hope to see Hannah being taught back flips by Sam!

MSP

He always seems like the world is against him.

MSP

oh no, actually that’s his brother Scott.

andybrad

Ah so no video.

chakaping
    Free Member

So where’s the video?

Is Sam guilty of being a sexist pig or just making a poorly judged, laddish joke?

Nobody comes out of it very well with that article as it is.

Garry_Lager

Didn’t realise the vid had actaully been taken down – hard to judge the context without it. I saw it when it was up yesterday and it was a throwaway comment, not said in any mean-spirited or deliberately inflammatory way. But the fact that he said it at all to a (female) journalist is quite revealing. Someone that well-entrenched in the sponsored rider / youtube influencer world, been interviewed a lot, must 100% know how the game works and how you need to measure your words at least a little bit. To just drop that in shows that female riders have zero standing with him in his type of cycling and he’s completely not arsed about them.

I’d take that honesty over Aaron Gwinn-style corporate pish any day like – Yeah man those freeride girls are killing it, totally stoked to be riding with them, I’m learning a lot, but it was unneccessary for him to be that dismissive.

tetrode
    Free Member

He made a shitty joke that Hannah and every other woman in the sport must hear constantly or some variation of it. Male dominated sports like this are not the most friendly to women, and the fact that Hannah actually has a platform and can raise awareness of stuff like this is really good. Even better that she then went on to do something constructive with it and hopefully the article inspires other women to do similar things.

I don’t think Sam is a bad person but there’s obviously a huge blind spot when it comes to this kind of casual sexism. There’s just no need for it and it’s not going to help bring any more women to the sport if prominent figures like Sam keep making jokes and comments like it. I would think there are a lot of younger kids who look up to him whom he has a big influence over, they don’t need to grow up spouting the same lazy gender stereotypes that the older generations do.

I was utterly embarrassed at the state of some of the comments on the article.

nickc

it was a throwaway comment, not said in any mean-spirited or deliberately inflammatory way

This is literally the dictionary definition of casual sexism, you do get that, right?

Without wishing to get all “wishy-washy liberal” on you, replace with “I don’t ride with Jews/black/disabled because they’re too slow”, does that feel better? worse? the same? I don’t think for a minute that Sam is bigoted, but as a professional mountain biker who’s job is to get bikes sold to anybody and everybody, it’s a remarkably stupid thing to say, doubly so to a journalist who’s a woman. It does beg the question, What did he think Hannah would do with that comment?

geex
    Free Member

Is Sam guilty of being a sexist pig or just making a poorly judged, laddish joke?

Neither. He’s right.
    Sam is next level.
    Name a girl doing Darkfest. Nevermind backflipping the 90ft doubles.

orangespyderman

the fact that Hannah actually has a platform and can raise awareness of stuff like this is really good

This. It’s not the end of the world for sure, but it is a bad reflection on the state of sexism and a sport and I’m pleased it does get called out by those who can when they can. If it doesn’t, he’ll never be made aware of his own “blind spot” as mentioned above. No-one should feel bad about that, take it on board and try and keep moving forward.

oikeith

This is literally the dictionary definition of casual sexism, you do get that, right?

Is it casual sexism if this is actually a truth though? I dont ride with any girls and dont think I could name many of them, even more so when put on the spot.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

He said, “I don’t ride with girls, they’re too slow”… this kind of knocked the wind out of Hannah’s sails…

But, allow me to play devils advocate… maybe girls are too slow for him to ride with… at his level I mean… and I’ll use Rachel Atherton as a yardstick… She’s an absolute animal and great ambassador for women in all sports, and yet she’s a long way off what the men at their level can do… I’m not denigrating her achievements here, this is a fact.

So, perhaps he was just speaking from his personal experiences… the rotter!!

Hannah was just as flippant with her drugs comments in fairness, and had he wanted to he could have taken umbrage with what she said to him, instead he gave as good as he got… it was a light hearted, jocular type of convo, very matey in truth.

Hannah did however chose to lead the story with faux outrage at his comments… what’s that you say? There’s a storm brewing in your tea cup?

dc1988

Poorly chosen comment/joke from Sam but also a poorly worded question from Hannah regarding drugs.

rene59
    Free Member

He is free to ride with who ever he wants. If that excludes slower riders then so be it, that’s his choice. He is top level, let’s not pretend there are any women riders out there that would even come close to his abilities on a bike. Talking to a journalist though he should have known better than to say he doesn’t ride with girls. But given the writers reaction, the original article clickbait title, later clarification and retraction, even if he just said he doesn’t ride with slow riders she would have interpreted it the same anyway.

orangespyderman

But, allow me to play devils advocate… maybe girls are too slow for him to ride with… at his level I mean…

So he never rides with anyone who isn’t within, say, 7% of his stage time. Or just the girls that aren’t. Does he have a fixed threshold for what is too slow; is 8 or 9% acceptable to ride with him? Or is it just that all girls are too slow and no boys are. Sorry, but I’ll bet what you suggest is not at all what he was implying.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just LOLz – nobody can say a damn thing anymore – if I was remotely famous I just simply wouldn’t bother doing any interviews ever. period. theres always someone out there trying to twist the knife and make you stumble

I cant see what hes said is remotely sexist – its factual, why would he ride with women just for the sakes of it? to look PC? he’s fast, ALL of the elite level riders at his level/genre are men, why on earth would he ride with women if there’s no call for it in his chosen sport? how does that even become a question he needs to be asked?!

its a question that’s loaded, and shes trying to get a rise out of him, to which hes jokingly responded

ask stupid questions and this is the sort of answer you will get off someone being honest who’s a bit mental, instead try to turn it on its head into something its not….

andybrad

Thing for me (having not seen the video) is it sounds like a smart arse and someone being bitchy. The article as it is isnt doing anyone any favours imo without the context. So either put the video up or pull the article.

BTW i see where this was going i taking a flippent remark and using it to empower someone to better themselves and to let people know that you dont have to take jibes. But its just uncomfortable.. (maybe thats the idea?)

robridesemtb
    Free Member

I met Sam yesterday at Rogate Bike Park. He came across as an absolute gent, was talking to all the local young shredders, had a chat with me about a few bits and was a generally nice person to talk to. He was working (filming a few bits for his channel) but took the time out to connect with folks that were around him / interested in what he was doing.

Not related to the article but I found him to be a nice, down to earth friendly chap.

Oh also, he is so skilled its insane. Watching him chuck an ebike downhill and the air he gets on one was stunning.

tetrode
    Free Member

Neither. He’s right.
    Sam is next level.

Maybe there aren’t any girls doing Darkfest because they get put off by shitty sexist comments like that from the guys? You really have to understand that as a man, you are in a very privileged position to never have to put up with shit like this all the time.

If I was a girl trying out mountain biking and constantly hearing shit like this, I’d probably give up and go find a sport that’s less hostile to me just because of my gender.

There’s nothing ‘PC’ about not being a dick to women.

nickc

Neither. He’s right.

But stupid. His job is not just 90ft backflips, his main job (like all professional mountain bikers) is selling bikes, and now we all know that Sam doesn’t think that 50% of the population are good enough to ride with him, and that got broadcast on the biggest mountain bike site in Europe. I imagine the product managers (the people that pay his wages) are well chuffed…

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Neither. He’s right.
    Sam is next level.

Casey Brown probably could, she was a prospect for Red Bull Rampage last year.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Maybe there aren’t any girls doing Darkfest because they get put off by shitty sexist comments like that from the guys? You really have to understand that as a man, you are in a very privileged position to never have to put up with shit like this all the time.

Ooo no, someone said girls can’t do something, so no girls will try… stop trying to be offended ffs… watch the video, its banter nothing more… they’re ribbing EACH OTHER

His comment is no more shitty than her drugs question…. is it?!

nickc

His comment is no more shitty than her drugs question…. is it?!

OK, lets address the drugs one, as it seems to be an excuse that some folk are trotting out to try to defend Sam’s casual sexism.

Hannah started by suggesting that he had a reputation for NOT being a party animal in an environment that is OK with hard partying and casual drug taking (Ratboy, f’instance, just for starters) Sam answered to the effect that he didn’t mind letting go occasionally, but that he watches his diet, Hannah then presses with the “No drugs?” question, to which he answers along the lines of “no, it’s never been his thing”

That’s pretty much it.

trumpton
    Free Member

stw suscribers are offended again lol. Put the video up. It was probably just banter. I am sure he’d say the same thing to a girl rider and they would give him some banter back. No harm done.

tetrode
    Free Member

Ooo no, someone said girls can’t do something, so no girls will try… stop trying to be offended ffs… watch the video, its banter nothing more… they’re ribbing EACH OTHER

Ah yes, “Stop being offended” – the classic response from someone who doesn’t actually have a good argument. You gonna call me an “SJW” or a “snowflake” next? The fact that you don’t even see how his comment could be anything other than “banter” just goes to show how out of touch you are.

The world is moving on from casual sexism like this and the more it’s called out the better it will be. Reactionaries like you are just mad that your outdated views are being left behind. I’d say judging by the state of the comments on the article, the “offended” people are the ones who’s sexism is finally being called out.

geex
    Free Member

No. She couldn’t @hypnonewt.
    it’s cool girls are stepping up and progressing fast but they’re still way off the level all the Fest guys are at.

trumpton
    Free Member

there’s some great riding girls. See the crankswork videos. The downhill girls are also awesome.

geex
    Free Member

@tetrode
    You have absolutely no idea what sexism or the level of it I have encountered in my life.

STOP BEING OFFENDED ON BEHALF OF OTHERS

PrinceJohn

@geex – are you a woman? Cos if you’re not then you’ve never encountered sexism.

trumpton
    Free Member

I think Sams comments are a bit immature though. I think I was in his position I’d pleased there are more girls riding.

geex
    Free Member

@Princejohn
    No. I absolutely have.
    Thanks for sharing your limited understanding of the word.

rene59
    Free Member

are you a woman? Cos if you’re not then you’ve never encountered sexism.

Are you one of those muppets that think only white people can be racist?

PrinceJohn

No. I absolutely have.
    Thanks for sharing your limited understanding of the word.

I very much doubt it. I think you need to improve your understanding.

Have a read of this then come back to me.

geex
    Free Member

“Kat George is an Australian writer living in New York. She is the creator of the web series “The Big Gulp” and author of the book “Pink Bits”. Her work can be found at VH1, The Village Voice, Noisey, i-D, Vice, The Gloss, Refinery29, and a bunch of other places.”

No thanks.

https://www.bustle.com/profile/kat-george-1909461

She seems more than a little obsessed by writing about the 90s and not exactly a genuis with it.
    How old is she?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Sam pilgrim interview’ is closed to new replies.