• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Salsa RIms … any experiences ?
  • OCB
    Free Member

I’m about to order stuff in for my next build, and I’m wondering about using Salsa rims this time – I normally use Mavic A719’s, but need could do with something wider for this build.

The ‘Delgado Cross‘ looks pretty tempting as does the wider ‘Semi‘. Not worried by the fairly workman-like appearance, nor the ‘not for tubeless’ disclaimer, and weight isn’t super critical – I’d just like some durable, reliable rims to run 2.3 – 2.5’s on, for what I ‘spose, is what was called ‘mountain biking’ back in the day … (which is to say just ridin’ along. 😛 )

It’s a fully rigid, steel 29er of course, (with a slight twist) – I’m not heavy, nor especially hard on parts, but I’m not the most gifted / subtle rider either …

Any experiences / horror stories / glowing endorsements you’d like to share maybe?
    Ta! 🙂

tazzymtb

salsa make good29er rims the 35mm versions are jolly nice as well and fairly light for the type.

I’ve started using nimbus dominator unicycle rims as they are cheap as chips and bombproof 42mm wide or kris holm freeride rims are 47mm wide and not too heavy either

Velocity rims are meant to be fantastic but I’ve only played with a full wheelset not built them up myself so I don’t know what they’re like from that point of view

tk46hal
    Free Member

Got semi’s on one of my 29er’s and I’ve found them to be excellent!

Highly recommended!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I use a Gordo on the rear – at 35mm wide -you can run low pressures = 20psi or less and not pinch flat, bomb proof too. Was thinking of upping it to a 47mm KH – but I’ve not been that bothered.

tazzymtb

I’m running 8 psi with a dominator rim and it’s fab

tk46hal- slappy told me you were a weight weenie, what are you doing wiv big heavy old hoops on?!

Stoner
    Free Member

I make all of my 29er wheels with Salsa rims.

Im 14+st and indelicate. Theyre nice rims to build with and Ive never had to retrue or tend to any of them.

And the gordo is ace with a 2.4″ RR on it

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O1VzeFs74mA/TgjnxphnUtI/AAAAAAAAABg/262fbK6wKHs/s400/img_8657.jpg[/img]

tommid
    Free Member

I have a set of the old style Semis that I have had for over five years and they are still as straight as the day that i bought them and I am a 110kg rider… I also have a set of Delgardos again they are ace. As good as Mavic, but that little bit cooler…

tk46hal
    Free Member

Tazzy,

Not all my bikes are delicate! My green one is my regular baby, the one with the Semi’s and one of those springy things at the back end! 😉

tazzymtb

a springy thing? TIGGER?

tk46hal
    Free Member

Not quite, but probably a better rider!

OCB
    Free Member

Lovely, thanks for that – that’s my next set of rims sorted then.
    Now all I have to do is find a nice quiet hub for the back (or just stick with XT) and I can get building.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Salsa RIms … any experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.