Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • sack Philip Hammond
  • sparksmcguff

Hammond has publicly stated that it is absurd to think EU citizens can continue to live in the UK. That is surely inciting racism. So am I reasonable in calling to have him sacked? (PS will be writing a stiff letter etc on return from my lovely holiday in France)

5thElefant
    Free Member

No, you’re a drama queen, and that’s just a negotiation position.

Daffy

Legally, and until something is put in place to say otherwise, he’s right. The same is true for Brits living in the EU.

Cant really sack a man for being right, Can you?

I’ll admit, the undercurrent of what he’s saying is distasteful, but then, so was everything that Farage ever said…he’s still an MEP.

mefty
    Free Member

No he didn’t, no it isn’t and no.

sparksmcguff

Yeah, perhaps I am being a drama queen, but… The mans an arse

wilburt
    Free Member

Racist!!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“I hope we will be able to get to a position where we are able to say to those EU nationals who live in the UK, and to those Brits who live in EU countries, everything’s fine, you can stay as you were” – Philip Hammond

That doesn’t sound very racist to me.

Have you got anything else a bit more racist than that which we can accuse him of ?

allthepies
    Free Member

mcguff by name…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Applause for Ernest!*

cranberry
    Free Member

That would be one letter of apology required when you come back off holiday then. Perhaps you could work in the phrases “unthinking”, “knee jerk”, “no basis in fact” and “totally unfounded accusations of racism for which I am ashamed”?

sparksmcguff

Or perhaps I could write suggesting that hope isn’t sufficient! I’m quite happy to offer a knee jerk reaction, barely on the scale of brexit is it. Sorry, but Hammond hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory and has done little other then make one or two vague statements regarding the future status of EU nationals.

cranberry
    Free Member

barely on the scale of brexit is it.

Classic whataboutery.

Sorry, but Hammond hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory

Did he get something totally wrong, think that he could engage in some nice virtue signalling on the internet and call someone a racist for:

1. Not saying anything racist
    2. Not actually saying anything like the non-racist thing that you imagined he said

??

allthepies
    Free Member

Does he look a bit racist ?

sparks has probably only seen him on telly so that could explain it.

poah
    Free Member

can he whistle?

ocrider

Well, the daily mail were trying to make him out as some sort of cosmopolitan bogeyman not so long ago. The headline read

Heaven help us. Another Foreign Secretary has gone native

They then unsuccessfully tried branding him as Euro-Phil.
    Imo he’s not the worst tory by a long shot and he got the red satchel because May has far more tactical nouse than the official leave and stay campaigns combined.
    He was still crap as transport minister.

ratherbeintobago

Legally, and until something is put in place to say otherwise, he’s right.

Is he though? Presumably those who would meet the requirements of ILR if they were from outside the EU will still be able to stay whatever happens.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Alex Salmond said the exact same thing. Not sure whether he believes it or is just trying to make trouble.

ninfan
    Free Member

There ought to be some form of Corollary to Godwins law, which states that

“As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of some innocuous and reasonable statement or act being labelled as racist approaches 1”

Caher

Used to be a Goth, so says Richard Madeley who went school with him.

loddrik
    Free Member

Took a while for my brain to acknowledge that the thread was asking for the sacking of the Tory MP, and not, as I had read it as, the former Top Gear presenter. Thread seems to make a bit more sense now. Although the sentiment is probably one which Jeremy Clarkson would espouse.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘sack Philip Hammond’ is closed to new replies.