Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • s2000
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks ed, I was ‘semi’ serious but I would want the v6

Tbh I’m probably more in the budget range of the gtv style 🙂

edoverheels
    Free Member

I have now bought the s2000. i have driven it for a couple of days on cold damp roads. It is much noisier and bumpier than the Alfa!
    On going through the service history I saw that there was K&N filter acquired in 2012 and so this morning I took the air box lid off. What huge fun!
    Really, for something so sensible looking it is hilarious. At town speeds it is a church mouse and then as soon as you get any space the noise is unlike anything I have ever experienced and really loud. no wonder the stereo is supposed to be crap and there is no point in thinking about an exhaust because the induction is all consuming.
    A bit ‘new bike syndrome’ at the moment but the weather has controlled my exuberance but when pushed I felt it start to move around a bit where I know some corners with some space but didn’t end up in a hedge. However I fully accept that when cornering and deep into VTEC you need to be wary. The gearing is fantastic. Everything is a gear down on previous cars because of the engine range, all of a sudden there are loads of 2nd gear corners!! The gear change is as everyone says and it seems I can barely go a 100yds without going up and down the box. To have a car that is 240 bhp and 6 gears and top gear is less than 20mph per 1000 rpm is great. We have a brand new Fiat Panda with a sewing machine for an engine that has taller gearing!
    If I survive the experience I might calm down.
    Faster Eddie
    (I have just re read this post before sending, I am 47 for goodness sake!)

SammyC
    Free Member

There’s not many cars better all round in my opinion, I is well jel!

catsplums
    Free Member

I am a current owner and have been for a few years now of an AP1, only mod is AP2 alloys…
    It is not easy or quiet but it is reqarding when you are in the mood and easy enough to live with when it is just transport.
    VVT coming in is not bad at all (and reminds me of 2 stroke motorbike fun / addictive and rewarding).
    it will be replaced by my skyline when I have completed it – don’t hold your breath as it is bottom on a big list of projects – but until that point I am happy to enjoy and love my S2k.
    It as the wifes car and she did spin it but I found it thus for predictable and fun. if you can drive then enjoy, if not then learn slowly.
    congrats on your purchase and hope you have many happy miles.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Catsplums
    I have now been driving it for a week or so. However the whole time the weather and roads have been awful. i have found it difficult so far. I don’t want to be a tit and stick it through a hedge in the first month but it is faster than I thought it was going to be. 90 in third wherever you want. I haven’t managed to build any trust with it yet, i don’t feel as if I can lean on it in corners and it wanders a bit at high speed. I know they are susceptible to geometry and so i am having it looked at by TGM in Fleet in Hampshire. The combination of useability and scarieness seems ideal to me and so i would hope to keep it but need to be reassured by the handling when really going a bit too fast than is sensible.
    Other cars seem to have telegraphed things a bit more. I know that this is me not being that good and someone who is handy would get the limits much more quickly than me. I know that for slow learners like me it will be fine in the long run. just need to be comforted that everything is pointing in the right direction.
    Eddie

somafunk

Sounds like a track day to explore the handling and familiarise yourself with how it reacts when it starts to break away may be useful, bloody good fun as well for the price of a set of tyres and usually pads. I used to do quite a lot of track days in my mk2 GTI16v (ABT tuned engine and 190bhp), eventually got quite good at shaking the tail out at 80mph+ and holding (or rather not losing it) the oversteer on the throttle which on a fwd car took a bit of practice. Your insurance may not cover you so best to check first.

Fantombiker

Agree about the track day, although do one where there is loads of run off like Bedford or donington and get an instructor for a few laps. This will transform your confidence. Also tyres are important you need good, sticky progressive break away rubber.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I don’t think mid-winter is a good time to form an opinion of the handling of your new sportscar.

Just baby it until the weather gets better.

I’ve been taking it nice and easy for the last couple of months in the MX5, but was able to have more fun in it in September when I got it, before it got too cold and wet.

onandon
    Free Member

I live about a mile from TGM and used them for three of my cars inc an s2000. Great guys.
    The standard fit bridgestone tyres aren’t great in this weather ( if it has them fitted )

Oh and have you found the hidden cubby hole yet 🙂 ?

catsplums
    Free Member

Hey Eddie

sorry for slow response, working out of the country at the moment…
    I know what you mean about other stuff telegraphing the feedback, I changed tyres on the back and feel I took a big step backwards in handling and confidence (went from Goodyear eagles to Dunlop sports (need to check the exact model)) but they have removed a lot of that confidence and I can’t wait for them to wear out!
    I would say that poor weather and pushing it to the edge is likely to end badly, it is not very forgiving. I would rather ride my R1 closer to the edge in the wet than drive the S2k close to it and that is all about the feedback and confidence from the tyres – I hope I get some of that back when I change tyres down the line.

For me it is transport in the cold and wet, it is fun in the warm sun.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘s2000’ is closed to new replies.