Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • RunningTrackWorld – Recommend me something for KindleTrackWorld, please!
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve recently gained an interest in Running, brought about by being stranded on a desert airfield for 4 months.

I’ve read through “Survival of the Fittest” and found it a fascinating book. I’d like to have a read through books of a similar topic – especially about distance running / human endurance stuff.

Any recommendations?

andyfla
    Free Member

Born to run

Matt_SS_xc

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes is a great read.

very much enjoyed Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

im half way through Running with the Kenyans: Discovering the secrets of the fastest people on earth by Adharanand Finn which is great so far.

All the books make me want to run crazy miles!

anonymouse
    Free Member

Feet in the Clouds.

surfer
    Free Member

“za-to-pek za-to-pek”

None of your “ultra marathon/superhuman endurance rubbish but the tale of a modest man who re wrote the record books in the three toughest events possible, against the worlds greatest and in the championship that counts most, the Olympic games. The only man to win the 5000m, the 10000m and the Marathon in the same games against the backdrop of hardship.

Gotama
    Free Member

Can’t remember the name of the book but i’m just reading a book by Scott Jurek who is a legend in the ultrarunning circuit. Decent read. Would also second Born to Run although given your new interest in running they will both have you googling barefoot running techniques.

stever
    Free Member

Seconded Feet in the Couds, also Goater’s Art of Running, Run Wild, Ghost Runner, Why We Run. I liked Born to Run but with hindsight feel I’ve been spun to a little, same with Karnazes. Maybe it’s just a preference for plucky outsiders and GB understatement.

takisawa2

I second the Dean Karnases recomendation, very inspiring read.

Something a little different, Rosie Swale Pope’s “Just a Little Run Around the World” is interesting.

stever
    Free Member

Indeed. We had a holiday house a few doors down from Rosie Swale Pope’s – “what’s that funny little trailer and the chirpy woman all about?” I thought “must be a story there”. Little did I know 🙂

Duffer
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll add a few to my Amazon wishlist.

given your new interest in running they will both have you googling barefoot running techniques

I take it “Barefoot Running” is just marketing bollocks intended to sell some fancy “Barefoot” lightweight trainers? Surely it can’t mean literally “running in bare feet”?

anonymouse
    Free Member

Well that’s opened up a whole new can of worms. Anyone for a hob nob?

Duffer
    Free Member

Anyone for a hob nob?

Got any chocolate ones?

surfer
    Free Member

but with hindsight feel I’ve been spun to a little, same with Karnazes. Maybe it’s just a preference for plucky outsiders and GB understatement.

+1 also known as “proper runners in real races” not made up inaccessible and unrealistic events or feats

nickhart
    Free Member

Born to run got me into barefoot/minimalist shoe running but only as a confirmation of something I’d experienced. Feet in the clouds is brilliant and running with the Kenyans validated some of the doubters of born to run but gave me inspiration when I needed it.

roper
    Free Member

Scott Jeurek Eat and Run. A very enjoyable book to read by probably the best ultra runner there is. He is also mentioned in born to run. The book also includes recipes of some of his energy foods, his motivation and how he keeps on running.

To The Edge Kirk Johnson is also good. About a journalist sent to cover the bad water race who gets sucked into trying to run it. There is also a documentary film about this you might be able to find online.

Duffer
    Free Member

Right, having dedicated many minutes researching (googling) barefoot running, i have come to understand it offers the following:

-initial difficulty
    -feeling connected with the trail
    -purity
    -efficiency
    -lightweight
    -health benefits
    -not necessarily faster

It seems barefoot running is like Singlespeeding for your feet; i’m surprised it’s not more popular on STW.

seanoc
    Free Member

Eat and Run; seconded that. Brillian book.

Barefoot running? Wouldn’t go into it on here.

Duffer
    Free Member

Born to run is finished. Very enjoyable, even if it does appear to be written primarily in Spanish; ironically, i don’t think he visits Spain at any point…

Eat and Run, now! Thanks again for the suggestions!

On a side note:

given your new interest in running they will both have you googling barefoot running techniques.

I’ve done a little more serious research into this Barefoot Running thing, and i have to say there’s a pretty compelling argument in favor. I’m sold, at least on paper. Hopefully i’ll try it out properly in the not-too-distant future. In the mean time, i’m concentrating on using good form, and not heel-striking.

mogrim

Born to run is finished. Very enjoyable, even if it does appear to be written primarily in Spanish; ironically, i don’t think he visits Spain at any point…

Er… you do realise that Spanish is what they speak in Mexico, right?

I liked Born to Run but with hindsight feel I’ve been spun to a little

I had exactly the same feeling – entertaining book, but the barefoot spin is laid on a bit thick, and it’s not entirely convincing.

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running” is pretty good, though more of a gentle meditation than an action packed novel.

Duffer
    Free Member

Er… you do realise that Spanish is what they speak in Mexico, right?

I think you missed the irony, there! I am aware they speak Spanish in Mexico, thanks. Haha!

And thanks for the other suggestion too; another one on the Amazon Wishlist for now.

takisawa2

If you fancy a post apocalyptic, vampiric epic I can recomend Justin Kronin’s “The Passage” & “The Twelve”…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It seems barefoot running is like Singlespeeding for your feet

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read today, thanks 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘RunningTrackWorld – Recommend me something for KindleTrackWorld, please!’ is closed to new replies.