Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RunningTrackWorld – First 10k done, quietly chuffed!
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve never enjoyed running, and i’ve certainly never been any good at it. However i got volunteered to take part in a 10k this morning.

We’ve been doing some training over the last few weeks – mostly over 5k and 8k – and my aim was to finish within the hour. In the end, i got myself under 55 mins, which i was quite pleased with! I realise that’s a pretty leisurely pace, but for someone who’s never run 10k before, i’m pretty happy! No aches, no pains, dare i say i even enjoyed it…?

During my short career as a runner, i’ve noticed that cycling has made my legs heavy, slow and horribly inflexible. When i’ve been running, i’m quite happy bumbling along at my own pace, but as soon as i try and open my stride out my legs really start to cry. Has anyone else had to overcome this?

tails
    Free Member

Congratulation! My friend swears by a sauna before he tries to beat PBs etc. If you’ve managed 10km I imagine your legs are fine.

willard

Well done! A 10k is a nice run and if you have not done one before, getting 55 minutes is a worthy achievement.

The problem is that, as you have completed one, you’ll want to do another one. Faster. Then you’ll start thinking about a half-marathon, then…

dantsw13

Well done!! My wife started running a few years back. She went from absolutely nowhere to her first 1/2 marathon this summer. It’s great exercise, and perfect to fit into those little gaps when there isn’t time for a full ride.

leffeboy

Well done! A 10k is a nice run and if you have not done one before, getting 55 minutes is a worthy achievement

jealous

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It matters not what your time was relative to others. It does matter that you made it through and exceeded your own expectations. Well done you! 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

First up, well done. Winning in sport IMO gets defined as coming first, when actually the triumph is in beating yourself and your own expectations. So next step is a sub 50 🙂

I run and cycle a lot. A few things I’ve learnt/would recommend
    1. Cycling shortens your hamstrings. For running you need the opposite so you need to work on that. I would imagine this is the main issue you have
    2. Cycling is low impact on joints, running is high impact. So you may get some pain whilst you build up the strength
    3. Stretch after EVERY bike ride and EVERY run to keep yourself supple and injury at bay
    4. Core strength (stomach, back, lats) will pay dividends for your strength and speed for running and cycling
    5. Yoga helps a lot in respect of all the above
    6. The best thing to do IMO is get a few sessions with a physio or personal trainer to assess your areas of weakness and a programme for fixing them. This will keep injury at bay and help make you faster.
    7. Joining a running club and doing some speedwork/track sessions will speed you up more effectively than just running a lot.
    8. I don’t find running a whole lot of fun but it is a much more time and cost-efficient way of keeping fit than cycling

Enjoy 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hi Duffer,

I have read some stuff about how lengthening your stride is not the best way to run faster. Seem to recall that the middle distance athletes actually shorten their stride and increase their stride frequency to go faster.

Re pain, the most common complaint with new runners seems to be shin splints. Exercises to strengthen your anterior tibialis works wonders. You may also want to analyse your foot strike pattern. What feels natural to you may not be the most efficient way to run. For example, heel striking is very painful but seems to be how most people run. Perhaps try landing the ball of your foot first and transitioning to the rear if you’re a “heelstriker”?

I also find running needs me to focus more on my breathing than cycling does. Try some HR training if you can get the kit.

Duffer
    Free Member

Thanks for the input and encouragement, all!

I’ve been doing quite a bit of strength training on my legs – Squats, Calf Raises, Hamstring curls, etc – and core strength too… I’ve seen marked improvements in my leg strength (and size) but I imagine this all counts against my capability for running!

Cycling is the priority, though!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Did a 46:12 in my first and last 10k (hilly) race.

Never again! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RunningTrackWorld – First 10k done, quietly chuffed!’ is closed to new replies.