Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Running one sintered and one organic pad in the same caliper?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

I was reading an interview with Giant rider Adam Craig where he said that he, along with all the other riders on the Giant team, mix brake pads i.e. run an organic and a sintered pad at each end. Supposedly this gives ‘the best of both worlds’ with regards to power, squeal etc.

Has anyone tried this? Is this a good idea?

spock
    Free Member

Wouldnt the organic wear out quicker than the sintered? I’ve never had a problem with sintered pads, could try superstar kevlar pads if you want best of both worlds?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Sounds like a bad idea to me.
    You’d get different wear rates for the pads
    I guess it’s another case of race teams throwing resources at a problem an getting tiny increments in Performance for reductions in longevity. Which is not a problem if you are in a team and get all your parts from your sponsor 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Shimano lx brakes I bought years ago advised that. There were two sets of pads in the box.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have done in the past, if i remember rightly this was because of the premature failure of a well-known factory-direct-brand of sintered pad. There was certinly a changeover period between the wearing out of the remaining sintered side and its replacement with an organic one again. I can’t say I really noticed any difference.

Incidentally, having one part worn and one new pad is the only way I can manage to use ssc/imperial pads in my Oro’s as the backing plates are significantly thicker than proper formula pads, and so you can’t fit 2 new pads and the disc rotor in the caliper. 😕

bassspine
    Free Member

you’ll go round in circles!!

BigJohn

I always replace just 1 pad per caliper. Currently got 1 superstar kevlar and 1 superstar sintered at each end. Works a treat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

you WILL die.

djglover
    Free Member

I put toffos in one side and rolos in the other

lipseal
    Free Member

Scotch in one side and Brillo in the other.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Running one sintered and one organic pad in the same caliper?’ is closed to new replies.