Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Running Machines at Home
  • Spud

How many of you folks use running machines at home? If so, how often do you use it, do you find it convenient, how do you find it on the floor i.e. do you need to put something down. My wife is looking at the Reebok machines so any thoughts would be good.

Ta

dobo
    Free Member

well if your too lazy to open the front door and just go for a run then your too lazy to use a running machine…

i just dont see any advantage with a running machine, its nicer outdoors isnt it? even running in the rain is nice..

Jase
    Free Member

I run outside and reckon I’d use a machine a couple of times before getting bored.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends if your wife has any form of imagination. If so, she’ll be bored out of her skull after about 30 seconds 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Don’t do it – I don;t understand people with running machines in the house – run outside!!!! There really is no excuse!

If you want to exercise indoors join a gym and see how you get on.

joe1983
    Free Member

If you have sh1te kness / ankles they can be good because the belt is cushioned. I stopped road running due to shinsplints but don’t get them half as bad on a treadmill. Also good for hanging clothes on.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a running machine in the garage. I use it as it is convenient and i can look like a sweating maniac in privacy. Which for some is the thing, as usually they are trying to lose weight so may be concious about how they look jiggling about. Saying that tho, i am going to start running outside soon and plan on making the full switch and selling the machine in late spring.

roper
    Free Member

I think they are a good idea for topping up runs but couldn’t imagine being on one for more than an hour a time, but they are probably ok for a quickie.

mogrim

Personally I wouldn’t bother, but then I’m not a woman worried about running on her own late at night.

If she’s not too self-conscious a gym would be a better bet.

MoreCashThanDash

We had a Reebok one for quite a few years – it was a high spec £900 model that I won in a competition.

It survived my (then) 14 stone weight bouncing around on it in our spare room for a few years, before migrating to the garage, where dust and damp finally did for it – less of an issue if you have a tidy integral garage, I guess.

I’d use it 1-2 times a week if I didn’t fancy running in the cold/rain etc.

MrsSwadey used it more than me – apart from feeling safer running in the garage rather than on the dark mean streets, she is slightly disabled and felt less conscious of her limp running in private.

That said, since the Reebok died, her DLA gets her a discount rate at the local leisure centre and she goes there now.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I think the statistic is that about 85% of all fitness equipment bought in the UK never gets used after the first couple of weeks. Hate running generally, but would always go for running outside rather than a machine inside – just soooo boring.

joe1983
    Free Member

Running joke (see what i did there) in my family is that my sister uses her’s as a travelator to get from the lounge to the kitchen. My sister is not amused.

Spud

Thing is with two very young kids and very busy work lives my wife finds it difficult to go out after 8pm etc at night to run. So this would prove a suitable aid I guess. Food for though.

aleigh
    Free Member

In that case it would be a good idea although it does get very boring running on one after a while.

I run outside when I can.

patentlywill
    Free Member

I have a concept 2 rower at home bought it 5 years or so ago thinking better have it at home rather than waste money on monthly gym membership and get loeads of use by self + family but it didn’t seme to work that way… in my view she’d be better joining a local running club if she can find one that suits – would give motivation and save quite a bit. I’ve rejoined a gym ….

nickname
    Free Member

I understand why someone would consider buying one if they are self-conscious about running outside. Must admit, I don’t like to run in built up places, but thankfully I can run around the park or woods, and it’s pretty quiet where I live. I also love running during dark mornings or at night, so the problem of worrying what people might think of you goes away.

I have used a running machine before and found it was a lot easier. I didn’t get any problems with my shins which I do outside. Having said that I would never buy one.

Expensive, noisy and boring 🙂

Edit – Of course, if you have no alternative, then you may well try it. It’s better than doing nothing. If she doesn’t use it you can always ebay it later.

alpin
    Free Member

no-one has suggested using it as a turbo trainer….. would that be feasable?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

and nobody seems to realise they’re a godsend if you have little ‘uns, you can’t really leave them while you go for a run, can you?

simon_g

I’ve never been tempted to buy one for home, but from the experiences of friends who have:

– cheap ones are rubbish. Treadmills need weight to be stable and work properly, and that inevitably means cost. Anything decent is likely to weigh 120+kg, and thus NOT be something that can easily be moved around and put away when not in use.

– equally, consider space carefully. Ones big enough to run on comfortably need a fairly wide and long deck. They don’t look too big in a gym but can look huge in a domestic setting.

– don’t even think about putting it upstairs, or buying one at all if you have a non-ground-floor flat. Weight of person + weight of treadmill will cause lots of problems for the celing downstairs (not to mention the structure of the floor!) plus loads of noise when it’s being used. Garage is ideal, especially as it tends to be cooler so you won’t be sweating buckets.

Personally, if I wanted a machine for doing cardio work at home I’d get a Concept II rower. Far more flexibility about where to put it, easy to get out of the way, replicates doing something you can’t get by walking out of the front door.

surfer
    Free Member

I think they are useful if you have small kids that you cant leave. Otherwise as is the concensus above, running outdoors is preferable.

I almost bought one a few years ago for that reason, kids are bigger now so not so much of an issue getting out for evening runs when Mrs Surfer is working.

I think they are useful for serious athletes who would use them for specific sessions as the boredom wouldnt be a factor. Some athletes use them in countries where the outside conditions are too bad such as Norway. Seldom an issue in the UK.

For serious traing buy a Powerjog, they are the dogs dangleys of treadmills.

spooky_b329

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

I’m sure its been posted before but its still on-topic 🙂

mogrim

Bonus: buy a model plane, video camera and you can check if the damn thing will take off or not!

Conor
    Free Member

Bought a good treadmill a year ago. Main reason being I wanted to run but because of my ACL injury and not wanting to run along dark country roads!!

I used it a lot last year as prep for the Mega. Started again as I’m doing a leg of a marathon. I find it boring though. But good for a 30min blast after work on these dark evenings. When the days lengthen and I’m more confident I’ll start running in the forest.

40mpg

I bought one for the wife last year as she wanted to keep running through the winter, but a combination of dark evenings, unlit lanes, kids and work meant running outdoors wasnt really an option.

Got a Roger Black Gold on ebay, £700 new, hardly used (!) for £200. I usually hate gyms / running machines but have got into the habit of using it for 30 to 45 minutes a couple of times a week, watching iplayer on the laptop. Beats being cold and scared running dark lanes, saves cleaning all the mud off after biking. The missus uses it 3 or 4 times a week too, so works well for us.

And we’ve got it upstairs in the spare bedroom. I’m not worried about floor supports as its no heavier than a loaded wardrobe / bookcase, and bounces less than my bed. Does drum a bit downstairs though!

Hedgehog
    Free Member

how much for Magura Thors ?

….. yes on topic !!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Running Machines at Home’ is closed to new replies.