Viewing 40 posts - 5,961 through 6,000 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Many? Don’t recall anything about JD, certainly no English centres that weren’t there should have been ahead (jj, teo and Farrell were obviously there) Not sure about the Scottish ones, think the best Irish was there and clearly he’s the best Welsh one!
    Just be happy a Welshman won player of the season – he like all the other lions will now be shite for the rest of the season…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well we were up in holiday in Orkney when the 3rd test was on so I went along, with a mate, to Orkney RFC in Kirkwall and we got a very warm welcome, free mugs of tea and a cracking fry up at halftime. So many thanks to a great club for hosting us. 😉

Good effort for someone who shouldnt have been on the tour according to many on here!!

Indeed – I was wrong on that score. 😳

Hats off to Gatland. His record of achievements with Wales/Lions is better than Henry or Hansen. You’ve gotta hand it to him.

I really had it down for a 3-0 whitewash with each loss being greater than the previous one. I think the SBW sending off was the turning point for the whole series.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Farrell butchered a lot.

I think England would function better with Ford at 10 and Slade at 12 but Farrell is the guy you’d want to be lining up that last minute kick to win the match – so he’s hard to leave out.

Tom-B
    Free Member

🙄 ah Farrell’s shit again now is he!

He was crap in the third test, and was below his best for the entire series…..but as always, he is not crap…..Ford and Slade at 10-12 for England?! Really can’t see it.

Farrell will be a favourite for the Lions tour captaincy next time around.

anagallis_arvensis

Warburton will still only be 32!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Seriously?! 😯

Well if fit (and it is an if) he’ll be in contention too you’d imagine. I see Hovis very much as being at the peak of his game right now though, whereas with Farrell, I still feel that he can improve even more.

anagallis_arvensis

Faletau will only be 30! Not that he’s captaincy material

namastebuzz
    Free Member

ah Farrell’s shit again now is he!

Well he kicked poorly from hand, threw a terrible pass for the interception when the Lions had their best chance to score a try and generally tackled like a girl.

Apart from that, he was great!

Ford and Slade at 10-12 for England?! Really can’t see it.

Watch the first test in Argentina.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Watched it, moment of genius to play May in for the try. Otherwise I thought that he was pretty ropey.

tinybits
    Free Member

Slade hasn’t hit the heights of the pre broken leg form, but he’s got the ability. I think this year will be his time to shine.
    However, Ford is playing great at 10 for England, Farrell just has to be in the team. Teo is surprisingly good, JJ is not exactly shabby and we’ll either have Manu back or he’ll be done for good (and damn, I want the former!).
    I simply can’t believe that a few years ago we were playing utter nobbers in the centers, I mean, Jamie Noon, Henry Paul, Stuart Abbott, Andy Farrell, Riki Fluty, Brad Barrett, Billy Twelvetrees, Twinkly eyed ****…! Just very pleased that England Rugby is able to have an argument over who’s best, not just who’s not totally shit.
    Still take JD though, and always would have!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jamie Noon, Henry Paul, Stuart Abbott, Andy Farrell, Riki Fluty, Brad Barrett, Billy Twelvetrees

Shudders at some of those names….Jamie bloody Noon.

The Lions was a success really; I know a draw seems like a bit of an odd way to end it but most were expecting a three nil humping. The AB’s made mistakes on Saturday so were proved to be human after all if put under pressure.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens now – will Wales adopt a more free flowing game plan under Gatland? Who will loose any form they had this season and who will be broken come September?

England have some interesting calls to make – if Ford keeps playing like he did this summer, surely he is our preferred 10 and if he keeps his kicking stats like that do we keep Farrell at 12 or opt for a natural 12? Will Te’o get more starts? Will George displace Hartley and if he does, will Itoje take over the captaincy?

anagallis_arvensis

It’ll be interesting to see what happens now – will Wales adopt a more free flowing game plan under Gatland?

They already had if you look at Gatlands last games in charge of Wales.

ElVino

Kieran Read was 3 yards ahead of the kicker for the last kick off, it should have been a penalty to the Lions, plenty of photos of it on social media.
    Thought JD was immense, I thought Gatland’s selections were brave and on the most part right. I am certainly not a fan of his but credit where it is due. I love watching the Lions, I don’t support them like I do Ireland but the games and concept are fantastic.

wrecker
    Free Member

Here people still seriously questioning Farrell’s ability? One ropey game out of probably 20 or 30 where he’s been nothing short of excellent?
    I’ll allow him that. Ford won’t be good enough until he learns to play on the back foot. Breezing through a seriously sub-par Argentina is hardly a great example to use.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like feeding refs seemed to have given up on being behind the kicker.

Don’t forget OF wears a white shirt, nothing more needs to be said…. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

Kryton57

I thought Gatland’s selections were brave and on the most part right. I am certainly not a fan of his but credit where it is due.

AA won’t believe this but I’m fully behind that statement now we are at the end of the Lions tour.

anagallis_arvensis

AA won’t believe this but I’m fully behind that statement now we are at the end of the Lions tour.

You mean you are fully behind it now as even comical ali would struggle to give a different view.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was a never a Gats fan, but I never doubted the quality available to him. Far from not crediting him, I thought his selections were pretty much right. I did, however volunteer that we could beat the AB’s after the first test and that they weren’t that good. Opinions which were met with broad derision!!!
    Can I get on with banging on about england now please?
    Just looking at the young talent around;
    Genge, George, Sinkler, Itoge, Kruis, Curry (2No), Underhill, Wilson, Billy V, Lozowski, Ford, Farrell, Marchant, Daly, Watson, Nowell. Most of these players haven’t even reached physical maturity yet.

anagallis_arvensis

Can I get on with banging on about england now please?

Yep, we need to start a new thread so I can get over excited about Gavs return to Wales with the mighty Dregs!!

wrecker
    Free Member

The privilege is all yours, a_a!

Pigface
    Free Member

I was explaining the Lions to a German friend of mine who is sports mad, he said “cool, like an all stars team”

I was quite offended but then I guess he is right.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Here people still seriously questioning Farrell’s ability?

JUst watched the third test again and I couldn’t believe how pish Farrell actually was.

5 times he attempted a high tackle and was brushed off. Twice he came in high as the second tackler and contributed nothing. In sharp contrast to Sexton who bravely threw himself into everything. He makes Dan Parkes look like Jonny Wilkinson.

He kicked twice out of hand – once out on the full and once an up-and-under that didn’t go nearly far enough.

Twice he threw poor long passes – one leading to the intercept which ultimately led to the first AB’s try.

He also threw a poor offload wasting a promising attack and watched Savea catch a cross-kick then stood there as he ran off.

If you take away his place kicking – as a 12, what does he bring?

wrecker
    Free Member

Lots. He’s bloody brilliant. Warren, Eddie and pretty much everyone with an informed opinion on rugby agrees.
    You are right in a way, he does bring mare at 10 though, more (and more consistently) than Ford does.

anagallis_arvensis

One bad performance v the best team in the world doesnt make him a bad player even I can see that and now the the Lions are over I can happily state I cant stand the squinty eyed ****!!! 😉

dantsw13

Haven’t even seen the 3rd test yet. Controversially, on s MTB forum, I’ve been riding my bike in the Alps! (Tignes – bloody brilliant btw!)
    Hopefully get to watch it today as I recover from the monster drive home.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m not saying he’s a bad player – he’s actually pretty good but he’s not world class.

If you took away the kicking he wouldn’t be selected.

He really can’t tackle though. If you look back over recent years the number of times he gets handed off or brushed aside as he goes in too high is astounding.

wrecker
    Free Member

He really can’t tackle though.

Then England better start looking hard for a 10 who can. I think Loz has a decent hit on him.

anagallis_arvensis

Sinkler arrested in Auckland, typical Englisher on tour 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Farrell’s tackling is a bit poo; he does tend to go too high and often gets bounced off.

I was a big detractor, but in the last season or so I think he’s developed into a pretty good player had has developed his attacking game. He usually has a pretty good pass on him (his pass was key in the try that beat Wales in the 6N). He wasn’t at his best in the third test, but he’s young and played a shed load of rugby.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Then England better start looking hard for a 10 who can

Yeah but England don’t play him at 10 do they? They play him at 12. It’s handy if your 12 can actually tackle.

Seriously though, if England had, say, a fullback who kicked 90%+ would Farrell get picked at 10 or 12 for the rest of his skills?

DanW
    Free Member

Farrell was all at sea in the third Test but is a bloody good rugby player. Sexton is the only better *proper*, complete 10 of the home nations but will probably have to be carefully managed to prolong his career and is likely to be a bit more up and down (as he has been recently). Farrell might not run a game or keep a defence on its toes in the same way but is ridiculously consistent and if kicking all one’s points were so easy then NZ would have comfortably won the series 3-0. He cops a lot of flak for his tackling but isn’t usually that bad and is one tough mofo! I actually like Ford and Farrell together and think we need a bit of a Scotlandish view on things to pick the best team rather than the best individuals in a position 😉 🙂

dantsw13

Just watched the match. Wow. Kieran Read & Warbs obvs have huge respect for each other.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wow. Kieran Read & Warbs obvs have huge respect for each other.

Apparently, during a break in play, Read turned to Hovis and said, “Wow. THIS is rugby!” and Hovis nodded in agreement.

tjagain

I didn’t get to see the 2nd and 3rd test and haven’t bothered to watch them.

Fair play to Gatland and the lions – Warrenball and a dead eye kicker was almost enough. Superb defence to restrict the ABs scoring. Warburton proved Gatland right in picking him from what I hear as well.

anagallis_arvensis

I didn’t get to see the 2nd and 3rd test and haven’t bothered to watch them.

Fair play to Gatland and the lions – Warrenball and a dead eye kicker was almost enough. Superb defence to restrict the ABs scoring. Warburton proved Gatland right in picking him from what I hear as well.

Sour grapes anyone?
    Oh and they didnt really play Warrenball which you would know had you watched or indeed if you you had a clue!

Pigface
    Free Member

And we’re off 😆

tjagain

HTF you get sour grapes from that AA is a bit odd.

Congratulating them and accepting that Gatland met his aims.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,961 through 6,000 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.