Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • RP23 Shock on Nomad Carbon – Driving me MAD
  • willber
    Free Member

I am riding a 2012 Nomad C – Fox 36 Talas up front with an RP23 w/ boost valve on the rear (both Kashima)

In relation to the rear shock – I’ve tried to set sag correctly but when I ride with the pressure for correct sag the rear end seems to bog down on any sort of climb. I previousley rode a meta 5 with an rp2 and that climbed better than my nomad with the RP23 on. As soon as the rear wheel hits any kind of sqaure edge the bike just kinda stalls – its weird. I’ve tried to turn rebound off and fully on, and half way but doesn’t seem to make much difference. The back end just doesn’t ‘skip’ over anything when climbing. Hope i’ve explained that right.

Also the Pro-Pedal lever has absolutley no effect at all.

Any ideas – anyone with similar issues? Its only 2 months old by the way.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmmm, i’ve a Marin 140 with a regular RP23 shock. I found that the set-up critical area was quite narrow, but once i’d figured out the parameters i made myself a little gauge so that it was always in the right range. Mind you, i find that the pro-pedal settings really do make a difference – are you using the different 3-position settings on it?

peachos
    Free Member

pedal kickback/feedback…that’s inherent with VPP. i hate it! perhaps you need a new bike?

Superficial
    Free Member

Well, it’s a VPP long travel bike so I’m not surprised it doesn’t climb as well as the meta, really. VPP bike have a tendency to wallow in the mid-travel (apparently) which will give you this problem. Reading what you were saying, I would have though pro-pedal would help. If it genuinely does nothing, I’d be sending it back for repair because the difference certainly should be noticeable when you’re pedalling.

duir
    Free Member

Call TF and book a PUSH tune for it, you won’t recognise it after that.

jonke
    Free Member

I had exactly similar issue/perception. Also felt like it ‘wallowed’ sometimes although the rebound I thought did make a difference. Propedal hardly any difference. Hard to explain exactly – but never felt quite right. Also had to run with a pretty high shock pressure to get the right level of sag. Kept tweaking the pressures and found it very sensitive to this. Got it as best I could, but ran next to no rebound where it eventually felt ok – but nevertheless pretty was always a little ‘chattery’ and never as plush as I wanted.

Prior to buying it – I had a demo on it with a rockshox aircan(can’t remember which one) but I can’t recall having the same issues – obviously or I possibly wouldn’t have bought it!

Eventually put a coil on it (CCDB) and feels really good now and happy – but obviously there is a weight penalty and not insignificant cost to consider!

munkyboy
    Free Member

Same set up as you although 2011 rp23. you need to experiment a lot to get it right. To be honest I still haven’t got it sorted but ‘it’ll do’, not the best from a supposedly high end product. Overall I think you expect everything to be perfect because of the price tag, but as is much in life it is not.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No problems on my Nomad C with an RP23 on it. With the VPP system you don’t need the Pro Pedal anyway.

I would suggest if you can’t feel the difference between the rebound being fully open and closed then there is either a problem with the shock, or with you. Mine in it’s slowest setting is snail paced & fastest, it’s like a pogo stick.

willber
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys – the rebound is functioning correctly, it just doesn’t seem to have any effect on the problem I’m having. I’m 15 stone – what pressure would u expect to run in the can? I dont think the pro pedal is working – I have tried it on all 3 settings and none make any difference. I have considered a CCDB with Ti spring

Matt24k
    Free Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that the Pro Pedal on the Kashima models works in a different way to a 2011 RP23. It is not like the 2011 where you have 3 levels to choose from and then flick the lever to engage it. This was mentioned in one of the mags recently IIRC but I’m not sure which one. Sorry I can’t be more specific but it may point you on the right track.
    Maybe LoCo will see this thread and cast some light on it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You’re about 3 stone heavier than me, so I have no idea what air pressure you need to run. How much sag in MM are you running?

I run about 17MM on mine in when kitted up in a normal standing riding position. I think that equates to approx 26% sag.

It’s hard to tell if the Pro Pedal works with a VPP system because you don’t really get any noticable suspension bob anyway (unless you are out of the saddle honking away.

Matt24k is right ref the propedal. It’s slightly different to the older lever in the way it works (fairly self explanitory though if you read what it says on the shock).

dans160
    Free Member

VPP bikes climb very well and you don’t need pro-pedal. The RP23 on my Tracer was rubbish. It would blow through the mid travel at the slightest sign of a twig on the trail. I changed it for a Bos Stoy, problem solved. After talking to other Tracer owners that had the issue I discovered that we all had something in common… we weighed quite allot. Get the RP23 tuned to bike/weight/riding style and you should be sorted i.e. speak to TF Tuned. Or buy a different shock.

the_lecht_rocks

mojo do a factory tune for £35 apparently on non OEM kashima rp23s.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Put a coil shock on my Nomad climbed fine with one I had a PUSH’d DHX-5,
    no real pedal bob ,pro pedal on one click, much better than the meta 5 which as it happens my daughter had and I borrowed from time to time.
    RP23 can drop through its travel quite easily even when sag is set.
    I am around 90Kg+ kitted out, I think if you are over 11-12 stone standard RP23 tune does not work well.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Perhaps you can beg, steal or borrow some alternative shocks to try. I’ve got a 2010 Nomad2 and it performs well with both the normal Monarch air can it came with or a Fox DHX5 coil.

Jonke ( see above post ) probably demoed his Nomad with the Monarch

It sound like something is wrong because to my mind the one big thing about the vpp system which i love is the way the suspension seems to “rear up and forwards” when you put the power in rather than the horrible wallowing / folding in half feeling i think you are describing .

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BlzbPU0FQ[/video]

stevenieve
    Free Member

Fitted a Fox air tuning spacer to my Nomad C 2 weeks ago.
    O-ring sag meter sits higher on the shock shaft now,
    worth a go for £25 and it’s only 5 minute install.

kevolution
    Free Member

I can’t beleive when you bought a bike of that standard the setup wasn’t explained to you or done for you so you could could use it to full effect right out of the shop door.
    With VPP, the recommended sag is 30%. that’s right in the sweetspot or “pocket” where the bike pedals best. The pivot placement is designed around more efficient pedaling in the middle ring, but a good setup would allow for propedal to make up for the inefficencies in the granny ring.
    Check out Mojo’s website for shock setup vids and follow it to the letter. The bike will ride much better if you can get the sag set corrctly with your body position set correctly. (not out of the saddle, that’s the correct setup for fork sag measurement)
    If you still get issues, ring mojo and the staff there will give you info on correct setup.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve tried to set sag correctly but when I ride with the pressure for correct sag the rear end seems to bog down on any sort of climb.

I’ll bet it has a high volume air can. are you ..ahem.. heavy?

If so you need smaller volume in your air can you can either buy a smaller volume aircan for about 23 quid from MOJO or just pack the air can with stuff to reduce /tune the volume. My mate uses cut up kids water sippy cups.

Chap above mentioned it too.

stevenieve – Member

Fitted a Fox air tuning spacer to my Nomad C 2 weeks ago.
    O-ring sag meter sits higher on the shock shaft now,

willber
    Free Member

TOYS19 –

Yeah it is a High Volume Air Can, and i’m 15 stone…..

I’ll look into this tuning spacer

Cheers

Will

deviant
    Free Member

RP23 on my bike too….initially underwhelmed by the shock, magazines rave about it but mine took some fiddling to get right too.

It came as a medium tune, and with my 14 stone sat on it the sag seemed correct right out of the box (approx 25% of its travel)…however when riding it felt too soft and squishy, had that odd falling-off-the-back feeling just pedalling around on the flat.

Bought a shock/fork pump and gradually increased the pressure until the sag was at around 15%….these shocks can take up to 300psi so dont be shy with the pressure….then took it to Rogate DH to see how it felt.

Probably the biggest compliment is that i didnt notice it was there, the back end of the bike was no longer a concern.
    When i checked the little rubber band to see what travel i was getting out back i was about 5mm shy of full travel so its pretty much spot on for my riding now….

….had to put more air in the Float 32 forks than Fox recommend too but that’s another story.

toys19
    Free Member

deviant. if its got a high volume can you might benefit from volume reduction too…

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers, it has got a high volume can but i cant be bothered with a move to a low volume can at the moment….seems like a sideways move now i’ve got it working for me.

Most of my riding these days seems to be gravity biassed so my next shock purchase will be a DHX-Air.

dangerousdan
    Free Member

Stick a coil on that Nomad. Rides so much better. You won’t notice the extra weight. Sell the RP23 to someone with a single-pivot.

I’ve got a CCDB on mine Nomad C (steel spring) and it’s a different world compared to the DHX I demo’ed. Loads better support, less harsh, no bottom out.

That said, VPP still feels very different to a four-bar or single-pivot – I like the positive engagement when you push on the pedals when climbing, others hates it and prefer a more neutral feel.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Noooooo – Dont put a DHX air on it. Not unless you want more of the same.

Coil…..

deviant
    Free Member

Haha, ok then suggestions?…..coil shock wont clear the linkage on the single pivot design by the way (Ariel).

Rockshox Monarch plus RC3….?

X-Fusion vector….?

To be honest i dont think the bulbous ends of the Vivid Air or imminent Cane Creek DBair will clear the frame either.

willber
    Free Member

Well – I decided to start again with the suspension. I’ve set my sag perfectly now and started again with the rebound settings by bracketing. Its now a million times better.

I hadn’t understood the Adaptive Logic thing fully and when i’d been setting the sag I had the “open” position on option 2. I changed it to opion “0” – i.e. fully open, re set the sag (which meant the air pressure went up from about 180 psi to 220 psi. It now sits up in the midstroke a lot more and the small bump sensitivity is awesome.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Will

steveh

Push tune or a shim stack from j tech (cheaper but same performance) and it will be like light and day. Gives the shock much more support and transforms the ride.

Trimix
    Free Member

I have had some issues getting my rear RP23 to work as I expect and reckon the mags who test and rave about them do so because they are all much less heavy than me.

Im 90kg in the bathroom, I bet the mag testers are 20 something year old whippets who weigh 60kg.

I had to put 220psi in my shock ! Im too fat for normal shocks.

flange
    Free Member

I’m 86kgs and I could NEVER get on with the RP23 on either my Yeti or my Five. I ended up running 300psi on my Yeti and it still felt awful, I just couldn’t get on with it.

Bought a second hand CCDB to the five, just waiting to give it a try when the weather picks up…..

wildstyle
    Free Member

i have an Aluminium nomad Mk1. I am 90KG riding weight, ride uk trail centres including innerleithen downhill trails. I have also ridden a lot in the alps in switzerland, france and italy. I have done 3 megas.

I have 3 rear shocks for the bike.

Plain old 2008 Van r coil with 450 spring
    2009 dhx air which has just been upgraded to 2012 spec
    2012 rp23

what i have found:
    VAN R is perfect for alpine life served plus megas.I trust it on the long descents in the alps. I’ve seen to many overheated air shocks blowing out in the alps.

RP23 is almost impossible to get right without mailing it to someone.not what i need. it will be on ebay very soon.

DHX air is perfect for me. I can configure it to be a fine pedalling platform plus it is nice and plush when i need it.

DHX air setup.
    1. empty main and piggy back reservoirs.
    2. back off all rebound and unwind the bottom out protection
    3. wind the bottom out back in 1.5 rotations
    4. 150-175b psi in to the piggy back
    5. 240psi in the main reservoir
    6. rebound to taste

i have found the pressure in the piggy back is the key to a decent square edge with the dhx air when climbing with the pro pedal on. when off, it is still lovely and plush. Some people slag it on the nomad, it has served me very well for years now.

I haven’t tried the CCDB setup yet, it would probably be good as well but i would prefer to keep my money in my pocket for the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine was set by the SC rep on a demo climbed like a 100mm bike descended like **** from a shovel!! Seek professional assistance maybe

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘RP23 Shock on Nomad Carbon – Driving me MAD’ is closed to new replies.