• This topic has 76 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • rooting an HTC desire (low storage space issue)
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

mines ****

DrP

nope – doesn’t seem to do anything in particular – I’ve wiped all teh data and it’s back to square one for the phone, but there’s no new ROM installed?!

DrP

DrP

Hopefully the reboot to previous state will work!! – I’d rather have the ‘old phone’, or have a new ROM installed, than to have simply erased all my data!!!

UPDATE – seems to be restoring boot data…fingers crossed I can go to bed with my ‘old phone’ and try again tomorrow!!!

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how long did it take for yours to reboot with the new rom? what ro did you choose?

Mine alive 🙂

DrP

RCMIX 2.0, the CM7 one, but it didn’t boot into it – started doing it (i think) then simply returned to the HBOOT screen, and I clicked reboot and it was just a ‘factory’ phone – no new rom, no old data!
    Have just restored, which took about 8 minutes, and currently loading back up. Hopefully it’ll be just like it was about 2 hours ago……
    Hazzah! Well at least the recovery works!!

What ROM did you choose? Did you unzip the file to your SD, or jsut copy the 299mb zipped file across?

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

one that doesn’t work!! No on screen keyboard!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I get “firing up”, that ends and then an animation with RCMixHD in flames and the setup icon in the top left corner. Thats it!!

markgraylish
    Free Member

So did you guys get this to work?
    Im in a similar position but not bothered about a fancy new ROM, I just wnt some bloody memory!

Murray

Used Revolutionary earlier this week to put cyanogenmod 7 on my HTC Desire. Reasonably smooth but some of the steps failed as the SD card wasn’t ready after a reboot. I ended up manually specifying which apps to install from SD card. In retrospect I should have used an empty SD card.

The other gotcha was that you need to install the Google Apps. Once that was done it was plain sailing.

Lots of memory now! Good luck.

DrP

Right….
    I’ve gone to s-off, which is good?
    Initially failed an install of RCMix, so recovered to ‘stock’.
    Then installed from the HBOOT screen (rather than using ROM manager – doesn’t seem to work), and it DID work – looked nice and pretty! But…. still only 23mb of internal data – it was a partitioned SD, so it would appear there is an additional step to ‘open up’ all this storage I’m looking for – anyone care to let me know what that step is??!!

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mine does the “firing up” bit, then goes to the still flames RCMixHD screen but goes no further then the screen goes black. Is that familiar/right?

DrP

I’m missing being able to text my bestest chums about TOWIE and X factor, so am restoring again!

If cougar is out there – advice on which RCMix Rom you used (as I’ve not had great success with CM7 ver 2.0) and what steps are needed for the ‘internal storage to extend into the SD card (which is essentially the whole reason for doing this!).

In summary – thus far I’ve rooted fine, but am struggling with flashing a ROM…. Just like life….!!

DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

drp – any comment on my post>?

Rich
    Free Member

I use insertcoin, it’s really good. Used the one with standard hboot so I didn’t have to mess around with s off. Been a while so can’t remember details.

There are usually good installation guides attached to the rom posts on xda, that’s what I followed.

sadexpunk

From what I remember when I rooted mine I had to use gparted to put a hidden partition on SD card. There’s step by step instructions on androidforums. That was 6 months if so ago now tho so there may be a quicker way now. For what its worth ive tried a few roms and for decent battery life I tried leedroid which is a bit nearer the stock Rom. But I finally settled on redux. Best battery life and a good mix of stripped down Android and stock.

sadexpunk

Oh and yes, Rom manager is generally thought to be crap, its advised to use your boot menu which is holding down volume key and then switching on.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Give oxygen rom a try. It’s a bare bones gingerbread rom. Even with all my app on the internal memory I still have 173mb of free space. The rom is super quick and good on the battery.

Keith.

DrP

Cruz- I think it’s busted!
    When mine worked, it did some text in the hboot menu, then tells you to reboot. When you reboot it does do the flames for a few minutes, then sense loads yo and away you go.
    I fiddled around with mine a bit, then some more, then it broke and when rebooting I got stuck on the flame!

Have recovered now-will try again when my lad’s not yanking at the cables!
    Let me know which version you get working-I had 2.0 going ok. Looked like stock sense, which is what I wanted.
    DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thought mine was a sucess as it booted and worked BUT i hadn’t done a wipe before the flash install, back to square 1

firestarter
    Free Member

I was gonna give this a go but I can upgrade in march I might just wait lol seems a bit complicated

Cougar

If cougar is out there – advice on which RCMix Rom you used

The file on my HDD here is “RCMixS_v2.0_A2SD+_BravoHboot” if that helps.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

distinctly underwhelmed by it 🙁

still cannot move apps to sd or delete stuff i don’t want – do i do this at root? if so, how?

DrP

Right – round two – ding ding…..

DrP

DrP

Relevant for christmas – my package is opening…

DrP

DrP

Cruz – i literally wiped everything via HBOOT menu (not ROM Manager) as per this:
    1. Uninstall swype and swype installer
    2. Use your beta invite to re- download the installer, chose desired version and install.
    3. Once installed go through all the steps installer wants you to.
    4. Once all is done, click “generate license” – most likely it will retool you swype isn’t licensed.
    5. Do as asked by the app to generate a valid license.
    6. when done correctly, you’ll be back on the sign in screen. (i tried to sign in, but it wouldn’t work)
    7. Hit the back soft key, and launch the installer again.
    8. Follow instructions, you should have working swype.
    9. Enjoy.

I also used the same ROM as Cougar – he seems a happy chap….

Will see if the flames go out!

DrP

DrP

As I appear to be posting from my shiny new Rom with 130mb of storage (not sure where the other 380 went…..), bit all seems good thus far!
    Good luck all!
    DrP

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mines fine just not impressed as i thought i would be 🙁

how do i shift stuff onto the sd card and delete stuff like teeter?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of these, so when it goes pear shaped i’ll give you a call Dr.

Happy xmas to the misses and wee man
    Rusty and family xx

Cougar

You can install App2SD to move stuff to the SD; however, if you’ve done the ext3 App2SD+ stuff, you don’t need to cos it already is.

If you want to delete system apps, you need to do it in the ROM before you flash it. Dunno how you do this cos I’ve never done it, but I know it’s possible.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

You can delete and freeze system apps using titanium backup pro. Even after everything is installed.

DrP

Merry Christmas fellow geeks!
    DrP

maxray
    Free Member

Bit of a bump on this thread … what ROM’s did people go with in the end? Any suggestions of the better ROM’s to try?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

CyanogenMod 7

DrP

RCmix HD 2.0 Hboot bravo…..

I found|:
    -rooting easy following the Unrevoked guide
    -Making a nandroid backup easy, once rooted
    -Installing a ROM hard, the reason being
    -i didn’t format/partition the SD properly. Use minipartition tool to do it – 1 gig (needed for RC MIX, 512 wasn’t enough) as ext 3, the rest fat 32)
    – I didn’t install a decent rom. ver 2.0 hboot bravo works fine!

I sued all the links posted in this and cougar’s thread…

DrP

maxray
    Free Member

Unrevoked was indeed a good guide, rooted and currently got the miuirom on, chuffed!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Finally S-Offed my Desire using Revolutionary, absolute doddle, can now block ads across the system and change system font, schweeeet

DrP

Hello again thread!
    I’ve been flicking through ROMS like no-one! I’ve found a nice, simple, and pretty one here – it’s stable like all oxygen roms, but has some bells and whistles too!

DrP

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘rooting an HTC desire (low storage space issue)’ is closed to new replies.