Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Roof Bars and Cycle Carriers – on a budget
  • tootallpaul

Really want to get the car sorted with roof bars and cycle carriers but the money is tight at the moment…

Any recommendations?

Looking at the Mont Blanc bars and the New Thule 532 Carriers for about £170 at the moment.

Cheers all.

P
    🙂

mmel
    Free Member

I’ve got Halfords Advanced and they have done me pretty well over the last year or so. With a quick change of the brackets the bars fit both the wife’s and my car.

The carriers come in a handy two pack so you have a rack for you and your mate! As far as I know it’s all made by Mont Blanc just with a Halfords badge stamped on.

Cheers, Tom

Scamper
    Free Member

Also got Halfrauds Advanced – think at the time i got the roof bars chucked in for free or something.

They have survived taking a wallop from the Wife driving under a hefty height restriction barrier with 2 bikes 😳

fenred
    Free Member

Halfords roof mounted advanced carriers are Thule not Mont Blanc. 😉

cr500dom
    Free Member

What car is it ?

I have some std Thule Bars that I had fitted to my B3 Audi 80 which will be cheap if they are the same size that you`ll need for yours ?

You`d need a foot pack possibly, and a fitting kit ?

All normally easily available on ebay 😉

tootallpaul

I’ll check out the Halfords ones- what are there roof bars like? Also made by Thule?

The car is a Vauxhall Astra- 2001 vintage …

simon_g

Ebay.

Get familiar with the configurator on Thule’s website – they only do a couple of types of feet and a few lengths of bars – the bit unique to different models is the fitting kit which is only about £15. See what else takes the same major parts as your car and you have a much wider range to choose from.

tootallpaul

Cheers Simon- some bits spotted, and added to the watch list…

Northwind

I got my 591s and Thule roof bars used… Some off here, some on Ebay. Ended up spending more or less what I’d have spent on a load of Halfords specials, new.

RustyMac

Once you know what bits you need get on ebay, I got Thule aero bars for £36 then a foot pack for my car for £20 and managed to get 3x montblanc bracuda racks for £70. The only bit i bought new was the specific rubber adapters for my car for £15-20. £140 for the roof rack with 3 bike racks seemed like a decent price to me.

fenred
    Free Member

OP – I’ve got some Halfords roof bars sitting in my shed, they came off a 2005 Vectra, not sure if they are the same footpack etc as the Astra but check it out and if your interested you’re welcome to make me a silly offer…

neil853
    Free Member

I’ll just give a little bit of advice form my experiance. I had the Thule 591’s for about three years covering litterally thousands of miles in all weathers. They were left on when not used and all I had to do to them was replace one wheel cradle (£15) and that was due to the elements.

If you’re savvy you can get bargains from the roof box co and ebay. While I appreciate we’re all on a budget (me especially at the moment) I wouldn’t want to be skimping on something that is holding my bike onto the car at 70-80mph. I KNOW the Thule ones to be top quality stuff. Me peronally, I’d try to get those.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got some thule aero bars to get rid of as i just had to get wider ones for the new car. they’re 120cm ones, if you’re interested.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I have got some vw ones for sale if your interested mail me.

transapp
    Free Member

If anyones got any Thule 591’s they want rid of, I’m interested in one or two.

Wozza
    Free Member

I have actually… Clicky

tootallpaul

All sorted now- got a blinding deal from Steven (skid-1972) on eBay for some Thule roof bars and Halfords Advanced bike racks. I would thoroughly recommend him – prices were better than anywhere else I found- I managed to get the entire set for less than half price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/skid-1972/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bars and Cycle Carriers – on a budget’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM