Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 235 total)
  • Rogue One – spoilers
  • curto80
    Free Member

Oh and not to go on about it but I always though it was implied that the destruction of Alderaan was the first time they’d used the Death Star (“Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration of this station’s capabilities but don’t worry, we’ll deal with your rebel friends soon enough”).

rone

She went to private school in Birmingham

The character or the actor? 😉

stevio

i was disappointed not to see the Brave Bothans dying…. maybe the 2 colliding Star Destroyers that destroyed the Force Field gate then vanished landed on them???

Northwind

I think the bothan thing is going to drive trekkies mad for years- that’s the second death star, no bothans were harmed in the making of this film

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Just saw it this evening and thought it was brilliant! Really liked the overall feel of the film. Did think Peter Cushing looked slightly weird (clumsy CGI) and Carrie Fisher more so but it didn’t spoil it for me.
    The girlfriend was less impressed however…

Got free mince pies and hot chocolate in our local Odeon, which was nice 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

I thought that the reference to the female Jedi was a reference to Leia as it was the (ex?) senator Organa who said it – he being her adopted father. If this is the case, then when Luke tells Leia she has the power too as she is his sister (Return of the Jedi), are we to now assume she’s been keeping it from him? For me, that was the only bit that didn’t make sense. The only other minor criticism was that we didn’t get the DAAAAAA! and the rolling narrative at the start.

Other than the above, I really liked it. I liked the Forrest Whittaker character as the slightly psychotic rebel faction leader who had split from the mainstream rebellion. It added a lot in terms of the terrorist to freedom fighter spectrum and the problems that causes.

One other thing, though, Vader’s voice was not quite as sinister as other films. Not Kenneth Williams, but not quite as booming.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other than the above, I really liked it. I liked the Forrest Whittaker character as the slightly psychotic rebel faction leader who had split from the mainstream rebellion. It added a lot in terms of the terrorist to freedom fighter spectrum and the problems that causes.

Liked it and wanted more there, that bit probably had the feel of something that was much bigger and cut, I need to see it again and watch the older trailers to see what was missing.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought that the reference to the female Jedi was a reference to Leia

I thought they were referring to her as getting the plans to the Jedi. “You need someone you can trust” “I would trust her with my life”

Guess that means Ashoka is really dead 🙁

BoardinBob
    twistedpencil

aa – Star Wars Rebels plays out Ashoka’s fate in Series 2….

You lot need to start watching more kids tv 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

It was all a bit Carry On Up The Kyber Crystal.

Northwind

dannyh – Member

The only other minor criticism was that we didn’t get the DAAAAAA! and the rolling narrative at the start.

I liked that they trolled us with this tbh 😆 A wee burst of orchestra that just tails off after a few seconds.

wordnumb
    Free Member

And if you’re going to pinch a ship to go on an unsanctioned suicide mission, maybe consider a callsign like Innocuous One or Nipping Out Five Minutes One or Stardust Express.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member
    It was all a bit Carry On Up The Kyber

Yet to see it (next week), but are you suggesting that during the film one side sabotages the others gattling gun by means of inserting an LP record?. Brilliant, can’t wait.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Did anyone else not find it a bit… middle eastern/terroristy?..

Jedah.. holy city in the sand (where all the special power allegedly comes from). Blown to bits.

Brown skinned mercenaries wrapped in black head clothes, kidnapping at will…

Coastal palm tree shod high rise buildings on desert fringe..

Like TFA, it was a bit crap. Had it’s moments, cracking last tie-in scene with Vader preceeded by over an hour of sod all.
    Until producers realise that the charm of the originals lay in its virtual lack of CGI – then they’ll never crack another classic Star Wars movie. You’d have thought they’d have learned the lesson from Lucas’s EpI/II//III complete jack fest.

Agree with sentiments of plot holes. Can’t understand how AT-ATs are now open to random cannon fire to blow them to smithereens.
    Whittakers character, wtf?
    The entire ‘we need to run a cable to hardware a radio signal up to the sky’ plot was excruciating.
    Totally agree with earlier comment on the score being a bit off too – it was over intrusive and sounded lack lustre. Very un-Star Wars – un-John Williams in that respect.
    Disagree about costumes though, thought they were great.

Good sci-fi is like making love to a beautiful woman – the less special effects that are flaunted, the more you want – too heavy on the special effects, one begins to feel they’ve perhaps seen it all before

mahalo

saw it last night, absolutely loved it and glad to have seen it in 2d.

sat here disagreeing with all the negative comments until this one

The entire ‘we need to run a cable to hardware a radio signal up to the sky’ plot was excruciating.

that was pretty lame!

anagallis_arvensis

aa – Star Wars Rebels plays out Ashoka’s fate in Series 2….

Does it though? Until I see a body I wont believe it!!

mahalo

I loved Chirrut and Baze too, they were badass!!

Drac

Did anyone else not find it a bit… middle eastern/terroristy?..

Well I certainly didn’t.

mogrim

Until producers realise that the charm of the originals lay in its virtual lack of CGI – then they’ll never crack another classic Star Wars movie. You’d have thought they’d have learned the lesson from Lucas’s EpI/II//III complete jack fest.

CGI’s just a means to an end, but personally I’d have liked a bit more spaceships blowing things up and a little less Forest Whittaker. So you can’t please everyone.

boltonjon

Awesome – watched it in 2D last night and i am thoroughly impressed

Lots of nice tie ins with later movies, especially for a geek who re-watched ANH & ESB on Sunday

Good use of CGI to bring some important characters back

Massively influenced by our global issues in the middle east

Fantastic action sequences and good character development – thought it dovetailed into ANH well

Vadar looked & sounded a bit different though

Roll on the next instalment 🙂

slackboy

I think the bothan thing is going to drive trekkies mad for years- that’s the second death star, no bothans were harmed in the making of this film

A bothan, earlier

JPR
    Free Member

They are AT-ACT’s not AT-AT’s.

I assume there’s something kicking around about them being less heavily armoured or shielded as they’re designed for cargo rather than troop transport.

mahalo

Vadar disnt sound any different to me, was delighted when he started talking to hear he was still voiced by Jaffe Joffer!!

stuey
    Free Member

Drac

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Cargo_Transport

They’re a lot easier to kill I took about half a dozen last night on Scarif.

weeksy

WHERE was the proper Into music !

That was my biggest irritation.

BoardinBob

Yeah, that disappointed me too. I get it’s a side story, but the lack of a proper intro didn’t set the right tone for me.

Northwind

You actually see at least one of the AT-A-whatevahs is open at the sides, not fully armoured- it gets blown in half. Doesn’t seem like the most effective transport vehicle tbh but it’s a long time ago, they haven’t invented the rusty transit yet.

Quite a lot of people say “if x-wings can blow up an at-at why not use them on hoth” but hoth’s an evacuation/rout/brutal arse-kicking, the X-wings aren’t involved in the defence because the defence is trying to buy time for the transports and fighters to get away.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Really looking forward to the sequel…..

Rogue Two – Many Brave Bothans. 😉

gonzy
    Free Member

Jaffe Joffer

that’s King Jaffe Joffer to you… 😉

saw it in 3D on Sunday night with Gonzy Jr…loved every bit of the movie and how it ties into A New Hope
    some of the 3D was a bit blurry bit to be honest i didnt really notice it that much and it didnt put me off

Chirrut and Baze were awesome and it was sad that they died…but i think all the charachters in this movie had to die otherwise we would expect to see them re-appear in A New Hope

scuttler

You actually see at least one of the AT-A-whatevahs is open at the sides

For crossing the Severn and Skye Road Bridges when it’s a bit blowy and closed to high-siders obvs.

geoffj

You actually see at least one of the AT-A-whatevahs is open at the sides, not fully armoured- it gets blown in half. Doesn’t seem like the most effective transport vehicle tbh but it’s a long time ago, they haven’t invented the rusty transit snatch Landrover yet.

FTFY

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just seen it in IMAX 3D. Have seen all the films but wouldn’t suggest I am a true fan. Ok not great. Wall to wall shooting and zero plot. Seems simply a vehicle to sell kids toys and computer games. Much preffered The Force Awakened. We got super discounted tickets (£2.50 each) but had we paid full price I think we’d have decided it wasn’t worth it. Enjoyed the Vadar scene at the end and Princess Leah raised a smile, probably the best moments in the film.

pondo

Why did no-one tell me Donnie Yen was in it??? 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

I thought it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

maccruiskeen

I’m not very good at this metaphor thing – but the Rebels… they’re basically ISIS yeah?

maccruiskeen

Really enjoyed it mind. I thought I like the last film but I think really I was just relieved it wasn’t dreadful. Looking back it just seemed to be running about from one place to the next for no real reason without a stop for a shower or clean pants.

This one flows better

P-Jay
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

WHERE was the proper Into music !

That was my biggest irritation.

There was a few bars, then it would be a newer, worse version – it’s not a ‘core’ film though – no scroll, no John Williams, no Jedi – cut backs, I blame Brexit.

BoardinBob

Actually I’d blame George Lucas. When Disney bought the rights they had to agree to certain things and Lucas was insistent that there was a clear division between the offshoot films and the main saga.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘Rogue One – spoilers’ is closed to new replies.