Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • RockShox XC
  • birney29
    Free Member

Interested to hear any opinions on the new Rockshox XC range. Seems like a steal for the price you get them on Merlin Cycles or the Bay. I realise they are bottom of the range but i currently run a set of suntours that are reaching the end of their life and I am in the market for a half decent, reliable set of forks. Tend to ride XC only, at a rather sedate pace with my dogs although I will be doing the tour de ben nevis in September.

Are the Recons worth the extra money?

birney29
    Free Member

Bueller?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a pair of xc32’s, i like them.

i’ve owned much more expensive forks too: Lyriks, pikes, Domains, boxxers, recons, rebas, etc. my XC forks seem to be as well made as any other rockshox forks, they’re just simpler/heavier.

they work well enough, they seem reliable, and they’re cheap.

recon forks will have aluminium stanchions, which will save about 200grams, and the option of a through-axle.

z1ppy

I think your onto a looser here, as most experienced riders will tend to have a better fork and won’t (or want to) be in the position to try a more basic unit like that.. so you can’t get honest opinions.

EDIT: Bugger.. how annoying (see above post)

Seemingly they have replace RS Tora’s forks which were heavy but did the job, I run a (moco) set on my HT (though I’ve always been suspect of the later TK damping)

I’d suggest you spend the extra money on the Recon’s, as they are a known to be a good fork and definitely better than the old Tora’s.

…So spend the money once and get something that worth keeping hold of, & spending money on servicing.. Recon’s.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sorry Zippy! 🙂

i just needed some cheap forks for a cheap bike, and i remembered being impressed by the toras on a friends bike – even after they’d be seriously thrashed.

z1ppy

😳
    he’s better off with a owners opinion…

birney29
    Free Member

Planet X have the Recons for only a wee bit extra, so think I may go for them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

spawnofyorkshire

i have the xc’s on a cube bike and don’t rate them that highly, had a go with these recently and they are nicer.

recon silver tk @ on one

at this price you won’t get much better unless you get lucky on ebay

cakefacesmallblock

I have hust taken Toras off my bike and replaced them with Revs. There is a big difference in my view, partly in weight and improved damping.

That said my solo air Tora performed way above expectations for almost four years. Serviced just twice, having been heavily used, both tearing round the local forest and on trail centre duties, for the last two years in particular. The plastic lockout lever failed and was binned, but no big deal to go without. Latterly I removed the spacer and went from 100 to 130mm without issue. No leaks no noticeable wear. The xc seems as though it could work well for the money.

Cant be arsed to do a for sale ad as such, but £40 collected or 45 posted buys my Tora.

kja78
    Free Member

Cakeface, don’t suppose those Toras have V brake mounts? If so I’ll take them. kenadolphe at hotmail dot com

Edric64
    Free Member

I bought a pair of recon silvers but sent them back as they are heavy and basic .I bought the recon golds instead and they are well worth the extra money

emanuel
    Free Member

There’s some really cheap xc RS forks in the rose catalogue.28mm stanchions are going to flex quite a bit more,but you don’t seem to be a gnarcore rider like everyone else on stw,so I wouldn’t worry.
    I’ve got toras on one bike,the uturns,the damping is pretty basic when hammering it hard.but asides from that they’re solid dependable forks.easy to service yourself as well,like all RS forks.
    I’ve had recons,got pikes,toras and sektors.fwiw.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

if you are going for an xc28 then surely a pair of darts can be picked up now pretty cheaply. Wasn’t there a set of recons on here going for about £70? We noticed a big difference going from a dart 3 sl to recon 351, weight primarily then stiffness but the damping also felt a lot better.

j3w3ll3r
    Free Member

I have some XC32 TK 29er forks that will be going in the classifieds soon if that’s any good let me know and I will list them up

birney29
    Free Member

Thanks, but 29er no good to me I am afraid.

Tempted by the recons.

cakefacesmallblock

kja78 Sorry mate ! I.S disc mount only 🙁 1/18 steerer ( 195mm I think) 9mm qr, 2008, grey lowers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘RockShox XC’ is closed to new replies.