Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • RockShox Reverb Seatpost
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has anyone got / used one?

Would you recommend it? Could you tell me what the minimum insertion is for them?

Ta.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got one. It’s excellent so far. The action is very smooth, easily controlled and the speed adjust is actually really handy. Bit early to see how the sealing will be but it looks the same as a fork so should be pretty decent. There is virtually no sideways slop at all and very little front to back movement either.

Minimum insertion is about 80mm or so, iirc

Only point seems to be that the remotes are a little fragile and can break in a crash so I am running mine (a rhd version) on the left underneath the bar tucked out of the way. Not absolutely ideal but works well and has already survived a pretty big off unscathed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Matthew… I was thinking that having it on the right would be a bit silly anyway.

Looking to put it on a hardtail I’ve jsut bought. Never needed one enough to mess around with the earlier incarnations on my FS.

geetee1972
    Free Member

matthew what was your experience of setting it up like?

I’ve got mine so that it ‘works’ in so far as with the return speed set to the fastest it will go it comes back up at just about a quick enough speed for it to be practical, but it’s not as fast as I would like; reducing the speed return basically stops it from working.

I’ve bled the remote till i’m blue in the face and set the air pressure to about 150 psi – any more than this and you can’t lower the post!

Bit frustrated really.

toons
    Free Member

Geetee mine was like that at first, but a bleed sorted it 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Toons – Would you recommend it? Have you tried any others? Have you ever ridden without dropping your post?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I had to bleed my full system too to get it to work, really easy to do though. They are great compared to clunky old Gravity Droppers 😀

If you want one cheap, actionsports.de are doing them for under £200 posted. Only took 3 days for delivery too.

toons
    Free Member

Yes they’re quality; much prefer them to the gravity dropper.

For me, riding a bike without a dropper post is a complete pain, as the terrain is steep & twisty.

Just need to see if the reverb holds up long term.

matthew_h
    Free Member

When I first got mine, it was really reluctant to go up and down unless on the slowest setting but once I’d trimmed the hose and bled it all up it worked absolutely spot on. I just followed the bleeding instructions from the sram website and it went fine.

jedi

i may be getting the reverb soon 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Wasn’t there a thread about this recently? When I buy something, I expect it to work straight from the box. 😕

Any idea when Fox are releasing theirs?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Do you just fit brakes to your bike without trimming the hose?

cinnamon_girl

Hose? On a bike? No, only use to clean it!

nickegg
    Free Member

I find a QR seat clamp works well 😉

speaker2animals

In theory for the price they are charging and considering how well RS forks were that are cycled hundreds/thousands of times per ride one would expect the seal life and action to be good for a LONG time. But of course we all know what we are doing when we “assume”.

snakebite
    Free Member

picked mine up today, printed the bleed stuff off the SRAM site, but want it to fit both my bikes so am gonna have to play with the hose length a little I guess…

Northwind

cinnamon_girl – Member

“Wasn’t there a thread about this recently? When I buy something, I expect it to work straight from the box.”

It’s no different from brakes really, they get bled at the factory but they can’t guarantee they’ll still be perfect when you get them.

oxforddan
    Free Member

what hardtail did you go for yeti?p.s- the singletrack is great in rotorua sunshine!!!

snakebite
    Free Member

all fitted, hose trimmed and bled and working fine.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks for you replies all. Really interested to know pretty precisely what the minimum insertion is… would be a great help as I might be able to get away with the shortest length.

Thanks for you replies all.

Off topic.

oxforddan!! How is it out there? Biking and everything else?

Got a Ti456. Should see me smash the hour mark round Twrch before you’re back! If it rides well may even do TP on it 😯
    Also – booking myself up for a couple of things…
    LEJOG at the end of April. The Welsh Ride Thing at the end of May. Let me know if you’re interested.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for these for a while now, haven’t looked into it much but can someone confirm what the 380/420 is reference to?

Is that the total length of the post from the very bottom to the seat clamp?

If it is, does anyone know the ‘insertable’ bit length? I need to check if I can get enough of it into the seat tube!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hob nob.. most posts it’s the total length. We are after the same answer though…

snakebite
    Free Member

I have the 420 in a medium Sov and could easily have got away with a 380….

Trimix
    Free Member

Well Ive ordered mine and cant wait to try it out. Like all shiny new bits it should make me at least 10% faster 🙂

oxforddan
    Free Member

off topic

hello yeti

nz is fantastic – hopefully doing sky dive in wanaka on the 15th and then the heli biking on the 17th so got a good couple of days coming up. its nice riding dry trails, will be doing some more biking around queenstown.

book me on to the rides – i need to burn off the beers

might be back sooner than planned if brisbane doesnt dry out!!!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Much as though I’d like a Reverb, I don’t like the fact that SRAM have chosen to build the bloody thing upside down!

Why on earth is the release mechanism on the top of the seatpost? This means you have to have an extra loop of hose which wouldn’t be necessary if the release was on the lower part of the seat post…
    I’ve read of people having issues routing the extra hose and its ripe for snagging if not done correctly.And it looks, if that matters, untidy

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t like the fact that SRAM have chosen to build the bloody thing upside down!

The only adjustable post that doesn’t do this is the Gravity Dropper. All the others, which use the same basic premise of moving oil from one chamber to another (basically it’s a minature office chair!) have the cable coming into the post at the top.

My Joplin had that spare loop out the back so that every time the suspension compressed, the back tyre buzzed the loop and everntually wore it away.

I ended up sending the Reverb back to the SRAM technical centre on their advice. To their credit, they fixed it and posted it back next day delivery on the same day they received it.

bazzer
    Free Member

How much does the Reverb weigh compared to a Gravity dropper ?

Taz

I have the Reverb (2.5 months now) and have (& still have) the Gravity Dropper & The Pure Racing i900.

It needed bled before it worked (which is a very easy job though I agree is very irrating). The cable is too long, though this is purely cosmetic. I chose not to cut so I can use on my longer bike if required.

That aside it is in a different league to the other 2. Smooth, easy to get a slight drop for twisty singletrack, perfomed faultlessly in every weather condition possible and no noticeable side to side play. Only open question for now is longevity which I have no worries about just do not know yet.

I bought on a US trip so paid ~ £180. CRC have them for £250. I would buy again even at that price

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Taz… what’s the minimum insertion??

oxforddan
    Free Member

off topic

just looked into lejog, have you turned gay?? bet your wearing lycra now!!! lol

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Evening Dan!

Turned?! Will be one hell of a sense of achievement! Certainly help to shift the beer baby.

You might want to edit your post as well mate.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Taz… what’s the minimum insertion??

I think it’s 80mm.

This month’s issue of MBR has a group test that includes the Reverb, Spesh Command Post, Gravity Dropper, X-Fusion, Joplin and Pure Racing.

The Reverb gets a 10 and a glowing report. The others get scores ranging from 5 to 7.

The Reverb, in this article, is said to be leagues ahead of the competition.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s here, it’s here and my god does it look good!

Thank you Wiggle, right… how do I make myself look ill so that they send me home from work?

fbracing
    Free Member

Done 20 or so rides with my Reverb now and am very pleased with it. However, always thought return speed was a bit slow, even after bleeding the remote. Have just done a system bleed and WOW! Now perfect, much faster with a little “thunk” as it reaches the top of its travel.
    BTW, as most others I have the RH remote (no option for LH) but have mounted it on left under the bar. Works well and a little safer (two offs yesterday and no damage – to the remote at least!
    Would highly recommend this post.

cinnamon_girl

Can I please ask a really stupid bimbo question?

Those using uppy downy – have you ever felt that for a particular ride your previous seatpost would be fine, ie non-techie ride? In other words, you have a weight penalty with an uppy downy and need a lighter bike for a particular ride.

Not sure that makes sense!

Obviously with the remote model, it’s not easy to remove and then put on again when needed.

So … in other words … could a non-remote make sense in that scenario?

Thank you. 🙂

DeeJay
    Free Member

Looking at the picture of your Ibis you have a saddle bag – do you notice a difference to the bike if you take that off? – probably not I suspect, and the advantage of having the remote outweighs (see what I did there) the issue for me. It is a pain to swap from 1 bike to another though – The XFusion one looks like it might be good as it comes with a lever and a remote.

Northwind

cinnamon_girl – Member

“Those using uppy downy – have you ever felt that for a particular ride your previous seatpost would be fine, ie non-techie ride? In other words, you have a weight penalty with an uppy downy and need a lighter bike for a particular ride.”

The weight difference is pretty small, I’ve got a pretty light raceface carbon post normally, 215g. My Gravity Dropper is somewhere sub 500g, the KS a little over. I’ve occasionally swapped but not often.

You could say the same about any bike part- lots of riding doesn’t need suspension but swapping out the forks soon got old despite the 1kg weight saving. (Usually when I take the rigid bike out I fit the Gravity Dropper, I’d sooner have no suspension than no dropper post 😉 )

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for your replies and glad that you understood what I was saying!

My biggest problem is that I struggle on climbs as it seems a heavy bike compared to what I’ve been used. In fact another Race Face carbon post user here!

The instruction leaflet with the carbon post specifically states that it should not be raised and lowered regularly. I honestly believe that an uppy downy would help as I struggle to get far enough behind the saddle.

So a saddle bag can not be used, boo hoo. 🙁

Northwind

Depends on the saddlebag, those ones that clip to the saddle would be fine but with ones that tie round the post as well that’ll get in the way of the drop.

(oh, my Next’s been up and down like a yoyo, it’s probably about half as thick as it used to be but kit is for using not looking at so I don’t mind. A good quality alu post doesn’t have to be so much heavier though.)

I dunno, personally I think the benefits are way more than the drawbacks, except for the price, they are damn expensive. I think worth it but then I’m a disaster with money.

Also it might sound daft but mine really saved my legs in France, some of those rides were right on the limit of my fitness so being able to drop the post for short sections then fire it back up for pedals was a big deal, compared to dropping the post for long undulating sections.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘RockShox Reverb Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.