• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dale.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rock tolerant rim for tubed 2.35 tyres
  • dale
    Free Member

looking for some advice experience on mid range rims for a 2.35 tyre.
    thinking about mavic 521,Rhyno lit xl,Wtb speed disc trying to keep price to £30 each and around 500g weight also want to have a go at building them myself any recommendations?

Vortexracing

my DT 5.1 seem OK.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

cant speak personally for the DT5.1 (only just got some on a “new” bike) but all the reviews/comments Ive ever seen suggest they are quite soft and are susceptible to dents and rock dings.

Ive currently got Mavic 325s which I run 2.35 Minion DHs on and theyve survived a few years of alps, morocco and wales unscathed. Not light (716grms according to mavic website) and the narrower 321 you mention is 570grms and should work fine with a wide tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the old521/new721 is good, very good infact

the old f219/new321 is also very good, good enough for Barrel to do WC DH on, not bad for what most on here discount as a budget rim!

Mine survive the peaks when i’m up there, and take 2.1-2.4 tires easily.

fozzybear
    Free Member

the new 521 or a 721/321 IMO..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got an EN521 on the back a month ago and so far im pleased with it. Running a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 and it seems to give the tire more support so it doesnt want to roll off the rim as much.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

721 is surviving reasonably well on the tandem which hammers wheels. About due for replacement after a more than a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the old 321 (now called the 729) is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee and not light.

Anyone tried the 521?

james
    Free Member

Mavic XM719 discs are fine and lighter than everything suggested above (460g)

Bigger tyres are pushing it though

Else DT E540s are about £30 when I was looking, 40g hewavier than DT EX 5.1Ds but half the price

fozzybear
    Free Member

James
    Mavic XM719 discs are fine and lighter than everything suggested above (460g)

true but as i can tell you from experience a 719 is not good on rock hits.
    my rear is a good example of that. Running it tubeless it’s now resembling a 20 pence piece.

dale
    Free Member

anyone tried rhyno lite xl pinned £20 520g 22mm internal width to good to be true? or the ringle sos

paule
    Free Member

521 or the new versions of are the best thing like that – I’ve got 5 wheels laced with them, the oldest one being 11 years old, and they’re all still going strong. They get plenty of peaks/wharncliffe/jumping abuse too.

dale
    Free Member

cant say fairer than that paule

ton

dale
    i have a set of sun double track rims for sale at £30 the pair.
    probably the toughest rim money an buy.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Sun, singletrack or mtx

hustler
    Free Member

+1 for Mavic 721 tough an reasonably light and don’t cost the earth

coffeeking
    Free Member

521s (old from 5+ years ago?) are bombproof but fairly heavy. When I say bombproof I mean a 100kg bloke rear-wheel-landing a 5ft drop onto concrete with a flat tyre bombproof 🙂 Love the old 321 but it is a heavy beast too. I’ve had no problems running 2.3s or 2.5s on mavic x19 rims?

dale
    Free Member

thanks for the offer Ton but they are a way too much rim for me looking at about 28mm wide good luck with selling them though

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rock tolerant rim for tubed 2.35 tyres’ is closed to new replies.