Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Roadies: fingerless or full finger gloves??
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’ve been bitten by the road bike bug, still mountain biking to.
    I’ve bought all new stuff helmet,sunglasses,Lycra

jam-bo

fingerless in summer

nemesis
    Free Member

Fingerless if it’s warm enough. Full finger otherwise. Rule 3563.

scaredypants

For me, no gloves when it’s warm and full finger when it’s not.

I don’t like track mitts.

What do you wear on your mtb ? Unless they’re armoured DH gloves I’d expect they’ll be fine

stumpy01

Full finger for me, but that’s because I just use my mtb gloves. Only problem seems to be that in the stretched out position, I seem to be pushing my fingers through the ends of my gloves, so might have to go fingerless next summer or try some gloves with longer fingers….

lee170
    Free Member

I wear xc gloves on the mtb, troy lee designs,661 raji. Do they make full finger roadie gloves??

Gary_M
    Free Member

Full finger in winter, unpadded. Nothing the rest of the time, unless you’re planning on falling off then there’s no need for mitts on a road bike.

Its just an unnecessary accessory.

dunmail
    Free Member

Fingerless in summer (and spring/autumn if the temperatures are mild enough) and full finger in winter. If it’s really cold then it’s mountaineering gloves!

prawny

As most others fingerless or nothing unless it’s cold.

nemesis
    Free Member

Full finger in winter, unpadded. Nothing the rest of the time, unless you’re planning on falling off then there’s no need for mitts on a road bike.

Presumably you don’t carry spare tubes or a multitool since you don’t plan for punctures/mechanicals either 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Punctures are fairly common occurrence on a commute, falls less so.

I always used to wear mitts but then thought ‘do I really need these on’, turns out I don’t.

I had a crash last month and took a chunk out a knuckle, mitts may have prevented that but it was no big deal.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If I ride for more than 2-3 hours without gloves I start to get sores and blisters. My hands would be a mess on a long ride.

tonyd

Nothing in summer, fingerless when it’s chilly, full finger in winter, windproof and toasty full fingered when it’s really cold.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I ride for more than 2-3 hours without gloves I start to get sores and blisters. My hands would be a mess on a long ride.

On a road ride? Toughen up sister

TiRed

I ride with thin full-fingered Endura Singletrack Lite mtb gloves. I don’t plan on falling off, but others in the bunch may have different ideas! Position on the bike means I don’t worry about padding as most weight is taken through my core. I do however have palmoplantar psoriasis, so it helps with cracked and split palms.

taxi25
    Free Member

I always wear gloves. More to absorb sweat than anything, nothing worse than the feel of sweaty h/bar tape.

lunge

Fingerless mitts for me, simply because I find it more comfortable. I dop feat the spring/Autumn gloves are going to be making their appearance soon though. I like simple leather palms are my preference, none of this gel padded stuff.

oldgit
    Free Member

None in summer I.e now.
    Mitts for racing.
    Thin wool with grippy palm, autumn.
    Winter gloves in winter.

Dobbo

Castelli fingerless of course.

butcher

I go from no gloves in the summer, to fingerless when it’s getting chilly, to big, massive moon gloves in the winter – though I’m yet to find any warm enough for our wet and cold northern climate.

Kuco

Full fingers for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fingerless, full finger, or lobster, depending on conditions.

mcnultycop

Full fingers all the time.

jonba
    Free Member

Fingerless normally. Mainly because then I can eat more easily and open cereal bars/flapjack without stopping.

Full fingered if it is a bit chilly (the wooly ones with rubber dots) then everything up to lobster mitts for commuting in winter.

I find good gloves comfortable and give me a handy wipe for snot and sweat. Also in the event of a crash they might protect my hands a bit.

Haze

Full finger wool in winter (Defeet) and mitts in the summer…need somewhere to wipe the snot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fingerless in summer, and some looser fitting full finger in winter. If the gloves are too short then fingers against the end isn’t that pleasant.

mogrim

Generally full finger, year round, although occasionally fingerless. Never bare handed, what do you use to wipe the snot off without gloves????

sputnik
    Free Member

661Raji perfect for road. Spesh makes some full finger ones too.
    Mitts mostly in summer but if I can’t find them I will happily use the Rajis.

njee20
    Free Member

None in summer I.e now.
    Mitts for racing.
    Thin wool with grippy palm, autumn.
    Winter gloves in winter.

+1

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Switched to gloveless this summer and it feels ace!

corroded
    Free Member

None, until it gets chilly then a wind proof pair of long-fingered gloves. I’ll admit to lusting after a pair of Rapha’s African sheep leather gloves!

Lifer
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

I always wear gloves. More to absorb sweat than anything, nothing worse than the feel of sweaty h/bar tape.

This, full fingered from Prendas when it gets cold.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Another ‘nothing through the summer, full finger in winter’ kinda guy here.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Spring/summer commute – none
    Long spring/summer ride – mitts
    Winter rides – full finger with option of liners
    Freezing cold – water/windproof with option of liners

Gary_M
    Free Member

Never bare handed, what do you use to wipe the snot off without gloves

I’ve learned to blow tidy snot rockets

edhornby

I always wear fingerless, even commuting because gravel rash on hands is horrid and it’s more likely to be commuting bike/car interaction that sends me onto the tarmac than a quiet road ride with self inflicted crashing

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Roadies: fingerless or full finger gloves??’ is closed to new replies.