Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Roadies – check your rear lights!
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve got some really bright Knog lights with USB batteries that seem to last one ride home. Some 5 years of riding a Supernova dynamo light setup on my last bike meant I’d forgotten how crap having to charge lights is. I’ll be lacing up a SP dynamo hub this week…

aracer
    Free Member

Output level indicators adding complication – not only added expense, but also more likely to break. If you’re relying on this to prosecute people then presumably they all have to be calibrated – I’m not sure doubling or tripling the price of decent lights is likely to help things much.
    Circuitry which maintains output and then cuts off when the batteries run out doesn’t really add much to the current situation.

Though most importantly we come back to my first point, what do you suggest the police stop doing instead so that they have time for this? Presumably you’d rather they didn’t bother about people using phones whilst driving or something trivial like that?

bearnecessities
    Free Member

Brilliant. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m suggesting. Congratulations for getting the bottom of it.

What with the argumentative stance?

Have I been?

bearnecessities
    Free Member

*Cough*

Well? Do you have a case against the idea of a legal output, or not?

Feel free to help define a transition strategy, but what’s wrong with the principle of increasing safety & standards through a legal requirement and a ‘readable’ measure?

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve told you what the big issue is – enforcement. I’m not sure we need another unenforced law on the books, and it would be easy to find something else which isn’t currently enforced which the police could spend their time on and would have a greater impact on road safety.

It’s also rather complicated, given the need for a calibrated level indicator which no current light has.

But then I just said that – are you after more reasons?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

As well as a minimum output standard for lights I’d support a minimum illuminted area. The tiny, single led ‘safety lights’ are not easy to focus on and judge the distance and speed of if they’re used as a sole light.

andyfla
    Free Member

Forget the lights you want a a nox gear tracer 360 – bloody awsome bit of kit [video]http://vimeo.com/94540789[/video]

bearnecessities
    Free Member

I’ve told you what the big issue is – enforcement.

I asked for you views on what the problem was with the principle.

Not sure why you’re getting you knickers in a twist about police resourcing, and my whole point of an indicator, was to make it easily enforceable, transition allowing – any time spent puling folk with old style lights during the transition period could be an opportunity to educate folk on the impending law.

But then I just said that

..actually confirms you’re just an argumentative sod though!

Suit yourself fella, it’s an idea that I’m sure a few have thought of. If you don’t like it, then no problem, move on 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – check your rear lights!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM