Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadie niche content – riding as a group.
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

So far to date i’ve done all my riding and winter training on my own, I’m a newbie. What can I expect when riding as a group in my first sportive? Do you get much restbite when sat behind someone or do you still have to work hard?! Obviously we’d be taking it in turns at the front!

RickyRah
    Free Member

Riding in a group is a great way to conserve energy. In the few sportives I’ve done, it seems a lot of people don’t have much experience of riding in a group. Just make sure that you’re aware of people around you and try to be predictable.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Can you get out with a local road ride? Good to get some experience first. Groups like this usually help out a newbie but riding in a group is not as simple as it looks.

aracer
    Free Member

Road riding in a group isn’t niche!

If you’ve never ridden in a group before, then definitely try and get out with a local roadie club to get some tips – otherwise not only will it be rather scary in the semi-race situation of a sportive, you’re also liable to be a danger to others.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Apparently road riding is the new niche!

kilo

If it’s a busy sportive be prepared for lots of people who aren’t used to riding in groups either. Did the Spring Onion the other week people all over the road.

If you are riding in a group hold your line, be aware of those around you and point / shout for obstructions, vehicles and potholes. If an obstruction -such as a narrowing gap comes up and you are at the front if possiblle don’t brake, try and accelerate through the obstruction but give a warning shout as well, this will avoid a bunched up crash behind you.

Club runs are a good place to learn group riding and a good low cost alternative to sportives

ampthill

I have been in a bunch for years but its really exciting. Really focus on the wheel ahead. Don’t brake if you get too close, ease on the pedals. Don’t go mad on the front its just a slight increase in effort.

Again years ago when we toured on the road we always drafted. Possibly with tired people never on the front. Even just 2 up we worked together. So even now I get annoyed when I see some one miles off the back of a social road ride. They need to be tucked in and getting a tow…

crazy-legs

Sportives are the worst for group riding. A mix of people from decent road racers through club riders through to people who’ve barely ridden a bike before!

Most people are at least vaguely aware of the general etiquette of riding in a group but are quite often incapable of putting it into practice. Staying smooth is the key to making it work. No sudden changes of direction or speed, make sure you’re not half-wheeling someone (where your wheels are overlapping) otherwise you’ll take someone out when you move or they’ll take you out.

Try not to yell out. If you’re at the front and yell “CAR UP!” or “POTHOLE” or “LOOK OUT”, all the people at the back will hear is “AHH UHHH” which means nothing. Keep your wits about you, try to relax and stay smooth, you’ll be fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really focus on the wheel ahead.

Focus on their front wheel not their back, by the time their back wheel starts to move you’ll already be picking the gravel out of your skin.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t go mad on the front its just a slight increase in effort.

Shouldn’t even be that. Just concentrate on keeping the same cadence going as when you were on the wheel.

One of my bugbears with riding in groups in sportives is that very few people will pull off after their turn at the front, or even come through if you try and pull off – instead thay will accelerate past you forcing you to accelerate to get on their wheel.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sportives are full of wheel huggers that would rather get off and walk than actually come past and take a turn on the front ,whilst being very vocal about the poor pace of the group!In my experience!!

Flash
    Free Member

I hugged several peoples wheel on Sunday’s Cheshire Cat. I’d like to thank them. Can I also add the cyclist that gave me a push up one of the climbs thank you very much it really was appreciated.

oldgit
    Free Member

IME there’s no need for verbal communication, and signals don’t need to be over the top, just subtle movements are all that’s needed.
    I’ve also never needed to compensate for obstacles, if your on the wheel just follow it. If your half wheeling you’ll see what’s coming anyway. Drafting through towns and cities on open roads is dim anyway.

Though I’m just a nobody I’ve been fortunate to ride with pros, ex pros and future pros from the UK France and the States, and none of them say a word. It’s actually a very simple proccess following a wheel, and bear in mind I’m technically inept off road.
    And like it’s been said up there, when you come to the front you should just arrive there. When I’ve been out with newer and fit riders they nearly always get out of the saddle and pass in a way that’s more akin to an attack.
    As for being easy it’s about 30%? but drafting doesn’t always mean sitting right behind someone, you can experiment by moving side to side and overlapping wheels.
    As for distance I’d keep it to a minimum of about 50mm for now.
    I’d get learned up first though if possible.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadie niche content – riding as a group.’ is closed to new replies.