• This topic has 185 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)
  • Road rage/dangerous driving in company van. Report to employer?
  • maccruiskeen

If he could get punished for the driving/abuse, learn the error of his ways (wishful thinking) and keep his job then that would be the ideal outcome IMO. Could be he’s an expert aircon mechanic or something, don’t see why he should lose his job for something unrelated. Maybe get someone else to drive him around!

if he’s behind the wheel in a company vehicle then that’s the job as much as anything else he’s paid to do.

as an employer you can’t really turn a blind eye to someone being a danger to the public just because he’s quite good at other things.

He’s made the choice to behave in a way that compromises his job (and let’s face it compromises plenty of things – he’s willingly given you and the police the grounds for a criminal conviction)

He’s an adult, he’s made his own choices.

frankconway

Yes, report to company after police.
    About 2 weeks ago on A46 bypass around Lincoln two vans of transit size from same company chasing each other, weaving in and out of traffic, generally driving dangerously.
    Got the registrations, called company and was put through to transport manager who listened but wasn’t apologetic; I said I would prefer him to deal with this direct without me involving police; he thought call had ended but I could hear him as he swore about me to someone else.
    Next day, I called their MD to tell him what had happened; made a formal complaint and left him in n o doubt that my next call would be to police.
    Electrical contractors based in Leicester and Nottigham.

cookeaa

Sorry but report it to the Police only.

Never mind a cursory telling off from his boss, that’s just a heads up and sharing it with any other parties/Social meeja might undermine any follow on action…

someone being a “bad driver” is one thing, but the ones that stop and get out for further interactions whether to hurl racial/religious abuse or get physical, deserve no quarter (IMO)…
    Otherwise what’s the point of recording the incident?

Send it straight to the Rozzers.

martinhutch

The anti-semitic stuff means you should take it straight to the cops IMO. Don’t even bother with the firm.

BruceWee

Don’t report it to the company until the police have decided what to do with it.

If the police decide to do nothing then I wouldn’t even bother going to the company, I would just put it straight on Youtube and make sure the various anti-racism groups were made aware.

Don’t see why this guys future employers shouldn’t have a clear picture of who they are hiring.

franksinatra

I manage a team that includes about 8 van drivers. If one of them was behaving like that I would want to know about it.

Based on what you have said, the driving would probably be a serious warning followed up with some additional training. But the behaviour afterwards would probably be dismissal. I would have no issue with sacking someone for being aggressive and racist.

Sandwich

I wouldn’t want someone to lose their job just for driving like a ****

I would and I would expect to fire anyone driving one of our vans that badly. There’s no place for inattentive half-wits in charge of 3 tonnes of vehicle. (Close pass – inattention stopping to argue and hurl racist abuse on camera – half-witted).

project
    Free Member

few years ago reported an LGV driver fir being an idiot, sales department answered the email,and said it would be passed on, so thought just ignored, a week later Health and safety manager from the company emailed, apologised, and stated driver had been taken off driving, was being retrained and had been disciplined, and all their drivers suddenly drove with consideration to other road users.

maccruiskeen

Topically this just popped up in my inbox from the HSE

t is estimated that one third of all road traffic collisions (RTCs) in Britain involve someone driving as part of their job……
    ……Although the risks associated with driving cannot be completely controlled, an employer has a responsibility to take all reasonable steps to manage these risks and do everything reasonably practicable to protect people from harm in the same way as they would in the workplace.

So while people are suggesting its somehow correct to inform the police but somehow unfair to notify their employer … how is the employer supposed to manage their workforce safely if nobody tells them whats happening out there?

allanoleary
    Free Member

Was there a “How’s my driving?” sticker on the back of the van? If so report to both police and company

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m so sorry to read this, OP. Not a pleasant experience in any way and you’re absolutely right to take this up with the police.

“****ing Jewish ****”

This has upset me more than anything else. I sincerely hope that you get a resolution and the guy in question gets his anti-semitic dues.

OwenP

Police first – makes it simple for the company to understand action is needed rather than mess you about and promise a “talking to”.

Even if the company fire him, he’ll jump into another company’s van the next week. So another reason for Police.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Whereas I would really want him to lose his job and be prosecuted by the police too.
    No excuses for that sort of a) dangerous b) threatening and c) racist behaviour.

If he was my member of staff I would suspend him immediately and investigate it as gross misconduct.

maccruiskeen

Was there a “How’s my driving?” sticker on the back of the van?

sockpuppet

I wouldn’t want someone to lose their job just for driving like a **** (there’s millions of em out there), so police would be if the company didn’t respond correctly.

I absolutely do want him to lose his job as a driver if that’s how he treats other humans while doing it.

DezB
    Free Member

I absolutely do want him to lose his job …

Oh ffs will you lot please read the rest of the **** thread.
    A retracted statement quoted 3 times. Jeez

scotabroad

Definitely report it.  I have done it a few times with responses from no response to full investigation and report back with full apologies etc.  If nothing else it may make a difference to some other unfortunate and modify the gus behaviour, we would hope

sockpuppet

Oh ffs will you lot please read the rest of the **** thread.
    A retracted statement quoted 3 times. Jeez

I have read the thread, all of it.

That’s still my opinion.

On my (mostly extremely enjoyable) ride on Monday, I was treated extremely patiently by many, drivers. So it is possible. Vast majority treated me acceptably and didn’t make me fear for me safety. Couple of dozen treated me very poorly – so about par IME.

What has me riled, and drove me to comment, was the *three* HGVs including one artic that overtook me and then immediately (within 100m) turned left across my path into their sites.

They knew I was there, they didn’t kill me to death, but they knew they were turning off a few seconds later. A few seconds later. THREE OF THEM, at different sites. Despite me doing all the right things re clothing, positioning, obeying traffic rules.

They chose to do that, and if they were a little wrong about their speed, or mine, or other drivers actions, or the low sun dazzled them or me, they risked killing me.

For a few seconds spent waiting safely behind me.

So yes, if I want to emphasise the fact that I think drivers who take needless risks with others’ safety should Do Some Other Job, I will.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one else has pointed this out, I’m not sure how smart it is to tell the police you thumped the side of the van – you lost the high ground at that point and escalated the incident. If the company point out it is dented you may not be doing yourself any favours.

CountZero

No? One of our logistics team drove like a dick last year; windscreen fogged up, no seatbelt, not showing trade-plates, and driving too fast, and because of the first item, he didn’t see another member of the team had stopped behind a parked van because of an oncoming articulated vehicle and drove into the back of her. He didn’t touch the brakes, (no airbag went off), wrote off three vehicles, and nearly killed our teammate in the stationary vehicle! He maintained he was driving below 30mph, the damage caused indicated closer to 50, and a third team driver following saw what happened, and confirmed he never used his brakes.
    So, should he have kept his job for driving like a dick? I have photos of two of the wrecked vehicles, the third was the stationary contractors van that was hit, just for confirmation.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sat at traffic lights at T junction at bottom of hill behind an SUV on red. Lights turn green:

SUV starts moving as a lorry comes from the right, downhill at full whack. SUV sees and stops just in time. I reported it straightaway to the company.

Driver relieved of his services the next day. Hopefully he won’t work again in that industry. At least he’ll think twice about jumping lights.

Sometimes its worth doing.

batfink
    Free Member

I would certainly be reporting it to both the police and company.

If it was “just” the close pass/nearly knocking you off, I would expect the company in question probably gets a few of those these days (if they have a reasonable sized fleet) so there is probably a process, either official or unofficial to deal with it. Probably involving a conversation, an official warning if appropriate, and some retraining.

However, getting out of a company van and threatening harm to a member of the public, AND using hate/racist/antisemetic language in the process is without any doubt at all gross misconduct, and my money would be on him getting sacked on the spot (especially if there was undisputable video evidence of the entire exchange).

I would be waiting to hear back from the police about what they intended to do about it – and probably wait until they had taken a statement from him before informing the company. Otherwise, as others have said, you allow him to get-his-story-straight before talking to the police.

When reporting it to the company, I would be sure to let them know that the incident has been reported to the police, and sent to several anti-hate organisations. This is effectively backing the company into a corner….. if they’ve got any sense they’ll realize they have to sack him immediately – which is exactly what he deserves.

maurice
    I’m surprised no one else has pointed this out, I’m not sure how smart it is to tell the police you thumped the side of the van – you lost the high ground at that point and escalated the incident. If the company point out it is dented you may not be doing yourself any favours.

Yeah, nah. The fact that he was demonstrably so close that this was possible, let alone required to alert him to the OPs presence so that he didn’t get crushed and killed, supports the OPs case rather than harms it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Poly has it. Police only.

m surprised no one else has pointed this out, I’m not sure how smart it is to tell the police you thumped the side of the van – you lost the high ground

Presumably it’s obvious in the video.

BruceWee

Just out of interest, do you regularly ride in traffic?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

+1
    Agreed

I have read the thread, all of it.

That’s still my opinion.

And it’s also Dezb’s opinion. You haven’t actually read the rest of the thread have you? This bit in particular:

Agree with this too. Dunno what I was going on about in my original post. I’m really not that nice normally.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, someone understands English. Thank you! 😀

FB-ATB

At my last company, transport took dash claims seriously, a couple of drivers lost their jobs- one as a result of footage from the dash cam in the cab.

Maybe think twice about Israel Start Up Nation replica kit now.

Sandwich

Dez has been kidnapped. We need to find where he’s being held!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+1 for footage to the police, find out what they wish to do before complaint to company

tjagain

I would want him sacked. this is a person using his vehicle as a weapon

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Yes I do ride in traffic, regularly.

I have never “angrily” hit a vehicle as the OP described, because I have never had time to get angry from a close pass while I was still in reach. If I have lashed out it has been instinctive. That’s what concerns me with their description of thumping the van angrily. The title of the thread says “Road rage”, who raged first?

There’s a whole lot of jumping on the outrage bus here and strong opinions without a video. But let’s not get the facts get in the way of a lynching….

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Yeah, nah. The fact that he was demonstrably so close that this was possible, let alone required to alert him to the OPs presence so that he didn’t get crushed and killed, supports the OPs case rather than harms it.

Let’s hope the video supports that.

ossify

Reported to the police yesterday via their online form. Lets see what happens.

Re. the thumping:
    I think I banged twice, once when he squeezed past and again as we stopped. 2nd one anger/adrenaline and yes probably shouldn’t have happened.

Just checked the video. Here’s a still of when he comes into frame:

View post on imgur.com

Note my positioning with the island & parked cars. I had not moved out to primary, there were parked cars behind me as well. I just stayed on the same line instead of moving in to the curb.

Just after that insanely close pass, he swerves left (!) at which point your hear a faint bang and I swerve sharply. This is me panicking & thumping the side, although if you didn’t know better it seems like him hitting me slightly (he didn’t).
    We both stop and I bang again, you can hear me mutter “are you insane!” (not loud enough for him to hear) and him already gobbing off from inside.

Edit: Fixed the image (I hope)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

without being awkward its a bit blurry to make much out

DezB
    Free Member

I once had a van driver swerve towards me on a cycle path cos I looked at him.
    Literally, just looking to check if he’d seen me cos he appeared to be just about to cut me up.
    Some people are just mental 😛

ossify

It’s nuts. I was going fastish at that point (guess a bit under 20mph) and he comes flying past. There are cars stopped at the crossing a few meters past that point as the lights have only just turned green, so the whole pass was entirely pointless anyway.

ossify

without being awkward its a bit blurry to make much out

I know sorry. Can’t show much more without showing the side of his van with logos.
    Here’s the place: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5081027,-2.2534331,3a,75y,211.5h,75.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIjLxCfrYIbr647HiLxgsZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Now imagine there’s a line of cars parked just next to the yellow lines. Look right to see cars parked beyond the bus stop. I stayed roughly a little left of centre of the lane (IMO, the correct position in those circumstances and at that speed).

richmtb

Van’s don’t actually have feelings you know. Squashy humans on bikes on the other hand do.

This is part of the problem cyclists face, people equate “you thumped my van” with “you nearly killed me with your driving”. They aren’t remotely equal. No cyclist has ever hurt a van driver by banging on their van.

Drivers worry about being inconvenienced by cyclists. Cyclists worry about being killed by drivers

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

This is part of the problem cyclists face, people equate “you thumped my van” with “you nearly killed me with your driving”. They aren’t remotely equal. No cyclist has ever hurt a van driver by banging on their van.

Being a cyclist does not makes us above the law because we are more vulnerable. Thumping a stationary vehicle will always elicit a response. If you and others cannot see that this may not go down all that well with the police then it is clearly a waste of my time trying to explain it to you.

BruceWee

Being a cyclist does not makes us above the law because we are more vulnerable. Thumping a stationary vehicle will always elicit a response. If you and others cannot see that this may not go down all that well with the police then it is clearly a waste of my time trying to explain it to you.

Exactly how strong are you? Even when I was in my peak condition and training in martial arts 5 times a week I very much doubt I would even be able to make a mark on a moving vehicle.

I could probably dent a car if I stopped, got off the bike, set my stance, and punched the centre of a panel. Fairly good chance I’d bust my hand though.

So, if we can assume we are not damaging property, exactly what law are we breaking by banging on a car?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Road rage/dangerous driving in company van. Report to employer?’ is closed to new replies.