Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road disc wheelset – any recommendations?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Budget around £400 or under ideally. After something stiff/light/reliable (aren’t we all?!)

Not Hunt; currently got a set and the back one has gone after 9 months (thought it would TBH, being only 24 spokes).

Sent DCR wheels an email to see what he can build.

Not keen on the JRA wheelsets really.

Anything else worth considering?

DT78
    Free Member

Have hunt offered to sort for you (I was looking at them for my next set)

Merlin have 10% off over £100 spend at the moment. Usually pretty good prices anyway. I’ve always been happy with mavic.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d build something like ultegra disc hubs onto some fashionable Panceti rims like the SL25.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have sent Hunt an email, not expecting them to sort it though. I bought a set when they were first released (although didn’t use them till Nov last year). At the time I told them I’d probably break them, and I have. Hopefully they sell spare rims so I can get them rebuilt and then keep as spares on sell them.

Pacenti rims look pretty good, think I’d prefer lighter hubs with a serviceable freehub though. I guess DT Swiss since the new Hopes seem quite heavy. Although I’d consider Novatec if the weights are competitive?

wait4me

I’ve had great service from Hunt. First wheel had a flat spot on rim that I wasn’t 100% happy with. Kept it until they could send out a new one when they got further stock. Was still perfectly true a few months later when I got new one, so decided to keep both instead of returning under warranty. Did the new rear for £75. You can’t argue with that. I’m 100kg and have given them a good hammering.

So what I’m saying is perhaps let Hunt sort them if you can.

therevokid
    Free Member

blimey. ..how the hell did you manage that !
    mine are a year old and still rail straight …..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, Hunt might sort me out. Not bothered if they don’t though. I knew when I bought them it was a bit of a risk. Only really have any luck with high spoke count wheels. Can’t think what I hit to damage them though. I think I’m about 20kg below the max weight limit for the wheels, so not overly heavy. Although I have been using them with 23c tyres (they recommend using 25c).

Nipper99
    Free Member
    large418
    Free Member

Mark at spokesman wheels does nice builds. He has done 2 29er wheelsets for me and they have been great. Novatec hubs are light and srviceable, Around £400 should get you a good set

kristoff
    Free Member

Why not have a go at building yourself? I built up the hope hub/stans Grail wheels on my cx bike for sub £400 and have had no issue with them in the last year since build (I may of just cursed myself). Maybe not the lightest setup (think they’re somewhere around the 1800g mark, but given I’m just under 100kg I’d rather have a wheel I know will be able to take a bit of abuse.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Archetype on Hope on my commuter. If I was buying again I might go Pacenti for the rims, not for any other reason than a change. I have LB carbon on Tune on my best bike, but that would blow your budget.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

DT Swiss do an R24 and R23 disk wheelset which are strong, light, tubeless and not too expensive. The 23s have nice/lighter hubs. They come pre-taped for tubeless and I think the ones you buy have the valves too – mine came on a bike.

I have the 23s on my CX – they are fast on road and I’ve rattled them down Spooky Woods etc without any issues

https://www.bike-components.de/en/DT-Swiss/R-23-SPLINE-DB-Road-Disc-Laufradsatz-Modell-2016-p45199/

http://road.cc/content/review/152949-dt-swiss-r24-spline-db-wheelset

https://www.bike24.com/p2140135.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road disc wheelset – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.