Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road Chainset on MTB????
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Could a road chainset be used on a MTB??

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41400

never thought about it before!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Voulloize (spelt?) used them at the Mega, BMX racers use them.

They are very flexy though in comparison to MTB cranks, over rough ground, fast corners and any sort of drop it gets very disconcerting! And you'd need a tripple to get a usable ratio, im quite tempted by 30-38 on a tripple.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Well I was looking at the FSA as they are on a very good sale and pretty light.. just not sure if they could handle a MTB

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup they will take it no problem, do you really need a 50t big ring though? or will you miss the smaller granny?

My Campag ones were lovely, and took 10 mins to strip out and grease the bearings.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd say fine for XC race/bimbling, just wouldn't take them anywhere near a drop, although saying that I've ridden road bikes down the Beast and Hagg Farm which although rocky dont put nay major demands on components, yet still mamanged to snap the steerer tube.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

with the FSA cranks could I replace the rings to roughly 22/32/42? I like them mainly for the crank arms!! also I would be sheding 1/2 kg in weight from my firex cranks.

sockpuppet

i wouldn't have thought you'd get rings that small on there…

that price is a steal though

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Ah was just hoping with the crc sale I would have got a bargain …………

sockpuppet

if you do get them i might be interested in buying the rings you take off!

it's cheaper to buy the one of those than replace the bb and middle plus granny on the triple i have in the spares box

njee20
    Free Member

No, you can't get rings anywhere near that.

If you use a triple the standard inner will most likely be 30t, you can possibly go slightly smaller, I'm not too sure to be honest, someone like TA will do rings if anyone.

It'll also only work if you have a 68mm b/b shell.

Just not worth it IMO.

tinsy
    Free Member

Its your money, I cant see it being a problem as thisisnotaspoon says, for XC and the rough and tumble that comes with it…

I actually hadnt read the advert and hadnt realized they were carbon ones, but they should still work out ok, but if your buying rings then they are not cheap at all, I would be tempted to try them as a dual ring setup with the rings that come with em and an 11-34 on the back. Might even get a few quid back for the big ring in the classifieds.

edit I might have to ammend my opinion as njee20 seems to have tried lots of stuff out..

Mister-P
    Free Member

A road chainset is usually a 130mm BCD so you will struggle to find rings that will fit it. You may also have issues with the inner ring clearing the chainstay.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends on the bolt pattern.

for shimano (and nearly everyone else)
    130mm (normal roadie cranks) won't go with a middle lower than 38t

110mm (compact roadie) will go down to 34t, and take any old 5-arm MTB rings (may require some fileing to get the lugs to fit, but the BCD is the same).

For campy, i've no idea

I think there's some touring and CX chainrings (and chainsets if you look) that come with senisble off road gears, well if you considder 48t sensible. I'm running a 48t on my main road bike ATM, because unless you'r pro 52t is pointless, I just cant spin it fast enough to get any real use from it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road Chainset on MTB????’ is closed to new replies.