• This topic has 49 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Road bikes for tall riders?
  • Toasty

I know we’ve got quite a collection of really tall people on here so it seemed worth a shot. Anyone got any recommendations for really big road bikes? Currently pondering 63cm Cannondale CAAD10 or 64cm Canyon Ultimate CF.

Riding a Tricross Comp 61cm and the saddle still looks a bit in orbit. 87-88cm bb to saddle top. 6’6″ but huge long legs!

After a speedy summer steed!

Cheers

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’m ‘only’ 6’3″ with long legs and I ride a 60cm Canyon Ultimate CF. I think it’s the most comfortable bike which I’ve owned and a brilliant bike IMO. I have the stem as low as it will go too so plenty of scope to make it more relaxed. They seem to have realtively long head tubes which is good for tall riders.

29erKeith
    Free Member

surely somebody should make some 800cc wheels for big roadies, 6’5″ish+

I saw a bloke yesterday riding a nice Trek which had a massive head tube and huge seat post. It looked really odd I’m sure they were 700’s but they looked like 24s/26s with slick from a distance

Toasty

Cheers Ricky, I was hoping someone would say something along those lines. The short wheelbase was the only thing concerning me, regarding toe overlap on the front end.

Wearing Shimano 49/13.5’s and get quite a bit of overlap with CX tyres on the Tricross, so it’s left me paranoid 🙂

They do seem to be a brand which properly tweaks the full geometry for bigger sizes, rather than just stretching the top tubes. Did you use the PPS thing to find the correct size?

TooTall
    Free Member

Canyon do seem to do big bikes – but I know the geometry doesn’t fit everyone tall (leg/torso/arm proportions).

If I were in the market for a road bike right now, I’d look at the Soma ES – up to a 66cm frame:

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/es

Sancho
    Free Member

Stevens seem to be big on big bikes, not sure exact sizing, but they use more traditional geometry

Toasty

Cheers both, having a look. Hadn’t spotted either 🙂

RickyRah
    Free Member

Wearing Shimano 49/13.5’s and get quite a bit of overlap with CX tyres on the Tricross, so it’s left me paranoid

They do seem to be a brand which properly tweaks the full geometry for bigger sizes, rather than just stretching the top tubes. Did you use the PPS thing to find the correct size?

My shoes get very close to the front wheel – and i have my cleats quite far forward. I don’t think toe overlap is an issue for a road bike though – you never need to use that much lock.

In terms of getting the right size, I was fortunate enough that a guy in my club had a 60cm frame that I could sit on. But the website also recommended the same size when I put in my measurements. They also have a UK office now in Kingston so I don’t know if you can test ride them now?

molgrips
    Free Member

How about a ‘sportive’ bike with a higher front end?

Or maybe go custom. Get someone to make you up a 36er.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Or maybe go custom. Get someone to make you up a 36er.

Oh good god, don’t tempt him, Frodo!

TooTall
    Free Member

BTW – just so you know what a 72cm traditional geometry road bike looks like:

If it were steel, it would look even more skinny.

Toasty

Lies, that’s an extreme closeup of a BMX, with it’s bars upside down.

I think the Canyon is still my favourite thought at the moment, especially as there’s £170 off CF 7.0s at the moment.

I’ll have to clear it with the missus first, unfortunately she posted in here about an hour ago so I think I might be busted.

Toasty

Oh go on then
    As long as it doesn’t look anything like that 72cm beast

Victory, thanks TooTall!

TiRed

Giant TCR in XL. We have a 6’7″ rider in our club who is all legs and rides one without issue. Bars are low, mind 😉

Toasty

Ooh, they’re quite long. I’d peeped at the Defy but it looked a bit short. There’s one on Pauls Cycles too, hmm.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve got a 66cm Canyon Roadlite and it’s been great so far.

If you’re anywhere near Brum you’d be welcome to throw a leg over it.

I looked at the Carbon bikes they offered but they ‘only’ went to 64cm but more importantly, the headtube was a far bit shorter so i went with the basic Alu frame. I’m 6’7″ btw with silly long arms and legs (39/40″ inside leg).

PS TooTall – everytime i see you post that picture of the ‘purple nasty’ i get a little bit of sick in my throat….. 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

87-88cm bb to saddle top. 6’6″ but huge long legs!

Me too .Im 6 ft 4 and im 86 cm to seat rails so very similar to you.I`m riding 62 to 65 cm frames .Riding the velodrome is fun as the hire bikes are only 60 cm at Newport

Edric64
    Free Member

The other problem is huge feet 52 in Shimano spd .I was in a 50 but they seem to have shrunk this year.

crazybaboon

I’m a bit over 6 ft 4 with a saddle hight of 875 from the b/b
    Riding a 63cm Cannondale super6 and a 62cm Trek Madone 6.9, the trek is right on the max extension mark with the seat cap.
    Both bikes have a lot of handle bar drop
    Not had any problems with toe overlap, wearing size 47 shoes
    Did have a 64cm Trek Madone 5.2, but the top tube was a bit too long, and the head tube was massive!
    Had the same problem on the velodrome at Manchester, the 60cm hire bike was tiny!
    Near Sheffield if you fancy a spin on them

Toasty

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4467/GIANT-TCR-COMPOSITE-2-2012

So tempted, longer than a 63cm Cannondale, both in toptube and wheelbase. I just don’t trust the compact geometry, surely I’m going to have miles of seatpost? The Madone seems to be a similar setup though, 62cm measures 59.3cm seattube.

Maybe over analysing this a little 🙂

crazybaboon

Don’t forget to measure head tube lengths, with a high saddle you also need a higher bar height
    The giant above has a head tube 20mm shorter than a 63cm super6, with a similar top tube
    When comparing geometry I find using stack and reach much better

BigCol
    Free Member

6′ 3.5″ here with 87cm bb to saddle.

I currently ride a 63cm super six – I’ve been really pleased with it so far 🙂 Nice long head tube helps get the bars up – currently running around 4″ drop.

Always worth checking seat angle when looking at top tube length slacker angles will result in lower reach for a given top tube length……

fatmax

Hi.
    I’m 6’5″ and a smidgen, and have just taken delivery of a 64cm Canyon Ultimate CF 7.0. Bought when it was £170 off a few weeks back. The geometry is an almost perfect match for the bike fitting measurements I had done at the Tri Centre before I purchased.
    I was upgrading from a Cannondale R600 from 2003 (63cm), so things have moved on in ten years…but it is PHENOMENAL! I really love it.
    I’m in Edinburgh if you want a sit on it.
    Cheers, Fraser

Toasty

The giant above has a head tube 20mm shorter than a 63cm super6, with a similar top tube
    When comparing geometry I find using stack and reach much better

Curses, indeed. 15mm shorter than a Canyon too, looks like they ship with lots of spacers though. Would it be frowned upon to have a stem with slight rise if it were an issue? Half the price of an equiv Cannondale* 🙂

*although I appreciate the Supersix is probably more in line with the Advanced frame, not the Composite one.

Bought when it was £170 off a few weeks back.

Argh, it still is.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My XXL 61cm Specialized Roubaix:

Note, headtube is long to give the front end a much more upright position.

Im 6′ 3″ with a 35″ inside length & find it spot on – the bars & saddle are near enough in-line.

pjm84
    Free Member

Crumbs. I run an 82cm saddle height and only 1.5in shorter. I must have diddy legs

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I don’t have anything helpful to add, beyond saying that I’m really glad sometimes that I’m not a giant. I get towered over by men all the time, but at least my bikes look rad. 😉

fatmax

Toasty, the Canyon ships with 25mm of spacers and the stem can be flipped, so can be set up with a reasonably high front end if that’s what you want.
    The Tri Centre tried to get me on some of the 64cm Treks with sportive geometry, but I’m delighted with the Canyon. 30 days to send it back if it doesn’t fit too…buy, buy, buy!

Toasty

Yeah Did look at 64cm Treks, sadly for 2013 they only do the 1.5c (bit too low end) or Madone 5.2 (bit too high end) in that size. Seems to be a bit of a cull of bigger sizes, no 63cm Spesh Allez for 2013 either.

TooTall
    Free Member

PS TooTall – everytime i see you post that picture of the ‘purple nasty’ i get a little bit of sick in my throat…..

She is lilac, not purple, and don’t upset the old girl. 😡

MrsToast
    Free Member

She is lilac, not purple, and don’t upset the old girl.

I’m sure she has a lovely personality!

Toasty

She reminds me of a wheeler from Return to Oz

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Toasty – Member
    I know we’ve got quite a collection of really tall people on here so it seemed worth a shot. Anyone got any recommendations for really big road bikes? Currently pondering 63cm Cannondale CAAD10 or 64cm Canyon Ultimate CF.

Riding a Tricross Comp 61cm and the saddle still looks a bit in orbit. 87-88cm bb to saddle top. 6’6″ but huge long legs!

After a speedy summer steed!

Cheers

Have you tried experimenting with different saddle heights? How do you pedal at the moment? Toes down? I used to pedal with my toes down, I thought this was normal, but over the years I’ve moved my saddle down and now I pedal with much more heel drop. I think Ive moved my saddle down about 6cm over time. Could be worth giving it a go if you’ve never bothered.

Toasty

Yeah, often play about with saddle heights. That said I’d say I probably do pedal quite a lot with toes, I’ll have to take note next time I’m riding, cheers!

No real issues on that front though, can’t get bikes any smaller anyway due to top tube length 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My brother is about 6’4″ – 6’5″ and he has an XL Giant TCR with a 125mm stem. Seems to fit him ok. I’m about 6’2″ – 6’3″ and it feels way to big for me, his saddle is alot higher than mine, and the reach to the bars is a fair bit more.

Toasty

Yeah, I think this one has become my favourite at the moment. Top value, even if something was miles off I’m sure I could swap the frame for something else and still end up in a decent position.

Still slightly concerned by how high the seatpost will be, but I think I’ve collectively read every comment ever written by a TCR rider on the internet and the general consensus seems to be it’s huge.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve done some sums on that Giant and I’d need the saddle to be over 240mm above the frame to fit me and the drop to the bars from that height looks quite a lot – even with long arms. Weight is going to be a long way back as well putting a lot of your weight close to the rear axle. Huge it isn’t.

Toasty

The frame size is effectively 23″, which is the same as my Stumpy HT, so I’d need about 23-24cm matching that. This seems to be intentional though, the compact geometry has a smaller triangle with bigger seatpost:

http://www.giant-road-bike.com/index.php/bike-fitting-issues/

Like the chart at the bottom of the page, which says their 58.5cm is supposed to be the same as a 63-67cm in other brands.

240mm of seatpost, at 72 degrees would cause 7cm of shift off the back of the bike. Compared to someone running at 180mm or so, there’s about 2cm of difference.

Something like that I’d assume.

Toasty

Putting it another way, I’ve got 87cm of extension between bb and saddle.

A 64cm Canyon Ultimate CF, with 72 degree seattube angle and 2cm layback seatpost (which they ship with), would put me 28.9cm behind the BB.

An XL Giant TCR, with 70 degree seattube and direct seatpost would put me 29.7cm behind the bb.

rOcKeTdOg

Interesting link comparing conventional with Giant compact, thanks for finding it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes for tall riders?’ is closed to new replies.