• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Road bike wheels?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I currently have fulcrum racing 7’s and I replaced the rear bearings last night, but upno doing so I noticed the freehub bearings are k-nackered. Im not sure whether you can replace these and cba buying a new freehub.

Im after some new wheels I think, something fairly light and suitable for mincing round the lake district on.

I have seen some “Pro Lite Bracciano” Wheels they are cheap and light. Are these any good?

Alternatively, whats decent for £200 or less?

Ta

ourmaninthenorth

How heavy are you?

I’ve got some Xero XCR-1 wheels that are light (so suit a light rider) that I need to sell. £90 posted.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not very heavy, but I’ve just had a glance on google and it seems several people have had problems with them. And the roads arent great where I ride either. How much do they weigh?

ourmaninthenorth

I think they’re around 1500g. Pretty light, I have to say. However, I’m heavy (over 12st), so replaced them with some Ksyriums back in 2009.

Can do pics. No hassle either way.

Tom

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll do a bit more research later this evening and I’ll let you know if I want them.

Anyone else got any suggestions? Anyone know how to fix Fulcrum freehub bearings?

flyingfox
    Free Member

We had some great Reynolds wheels in that we were doing for around £200. Don’t think we have any more left but they’re superlight and dead cheap. I think they were Shadows. Someone will have them. They were like hotcakes so we might not have any pairs left.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Those Reynolds ones look nice but are not much lighter than my current ones, and are quite a bit heavier than those Pro Lites

Stuey01
    Free Member

Fulcrum 5’s or Mavic Aksiums are pretty much the benchmark at under £200.

You might find something good in the sales.

xander
    Free Member

Plant X Model B? Cheap as, light, post free, do the job nicely. Have even used them for CX. Lighter than FR7 or Aksiums…

djflexure

Just got fulcrum 5 £140 Merlin – seemed nice on the one ride I’ve done.

mooman
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    … I’m heavy (over 12st), so replaced them with some Ksyriums back in 2009.

Is over 12 stone really classed as heavy?
    Over 15 stone I understand .. but 12!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My recent investigations suggest P-X model B are the best VFM…

…unless you want to spend way more, or, like me, piece something with a stupid spoke count & light sh hubs together.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

12st would still put you above a BMI of 22.5 for average height, 15st is well into the obease end of the scale! Bear in mind roadies are statisticaly going to be at the lighter end of the scale, buying lightweight wheels if your not light yourself is going to be both pointless and probbaly expensive.

Shimano R-550, not super light (marginaly better than askiums, especialy the rims being lighter which is where it matters for feel at the expense of heavy hubs) but are cheep, and seem to last pretty well with a none too subtle 15st me*!

*I had to add 1/3 turn to the rear spokes to stop them rubbing when I was fit a few years back, despite weighing more now I dont have that kind of power anymore 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The model B’s look ok and Px are selling fulcrums for next to nowt at the moment. None of those listed look better than those pro lite wheels though

cp

I’ve got planet x model b’s – they’re great wheels. For the price, they’re amazing! Compared to my shimano rs10’s, which are available for a little less, they’re in a different league ride-wise. They also haven’t broken a spoke, unlike the shimano ones…

About 1650g on my scales for the pair.

seanoc
    Free Member

Planet X wheels are light a stiff enough for the money but don’t expect the rims to last too long though*.

I can’t see how you managed with a set of B’s for CX; even the A57’s are reputed as being made of cheese.

*just my experiance you understand; but if you want photographs of spokes ripping out of rims I’m happy to oblige.

cynic-al
    Free Member

please do Seanoc. I don’t see how a cx bike can be that much harder on wheels.

AdamML
    Free Member

If you can stretch another 50 quid the Shimano Ultegra 6700 are my current favourites here

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought some model b’s from planet x, they havent arrived yet though.

Cant really lose at the pirce they were and Im not very heavy so wont be giving them hell

seanoc
    Free Member

I should probably mention that my wheels were replaced FOC by PX (with some A57’s which are all of 47g heavier); took about a month worth of emails, missed phonecalls and general faffage though……..all part of the PX experiance.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Pro Lite Bracciano seem to be the lightweight/cheap-ish wheel of choice on the road forums on Bikeradar. The Planet-X Model B’s appear to vbe the budget choice.

seanoc
    Free Member

There you go C.A. This happened whilst climbing (not too far from the house thankfully); about 3000km’s done on the same wheel. Never noticed any obvious impact and the spokes never needed much attention in the 3 months I had it.

I don’t see how a cx bike can be that much harder on wheels

That depends on the rider I guess. I imagine that I’d be much harder on a CX bike (if I had one) than on my road bike; unless, of course, it’s just for muddy fields.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks…interesting – is there a history of that for these wheels…or your good self?

Agreed there are a ton of variables, I just don’t think off road use is necessarily that much harder on wheels – as you have demonstrated they can take a pounding on Tarmac.

seanoc
    Free Member

Nah; no real history. I killed a set of Bontrager Race but that was after 18 months of riding 300-450km’s a week so fair game I thought.

Can’t really fault it for the weight/price.

AdamT

I have some Braccianos and they’re great. I got them for about £170 from TriandRun. Bargaintastic.

dobo
    Free Member

Quest Scafell Wheels – http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html

no experience of them but think they are like the pro lite wheels
    can you get the bracciano for less than £200?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Road bike wheels?’ is closed to new replies.