Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Riding in Betws-y-coed next week, What tyres should I run?
  • mastakillah
    Free Member

Like it says above. Ta.

patriotpro
    Free Member

What ye got?

mastakillah
    Free Member

Not a huge amount, Was hoping a could take off the Bonty Mud-x and put on something a little wider as they are only 2.0

I’ve got Bonty XDX 2.1, Bonty 29.3 both sizes 2.25/2.00, WTB Nano 2.1, WTB Weirwolf 2.2

Or could just buy something new!

br
    Free Member

Black n’ Round is usually a good start – and then as big as you can get in the fork/frame.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Something with a strong sidewall for the rocky bits.

grum
    Free Member

Whatever’s on your bike now.

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ve had no experience with the tyres you have listed above but I wouldn’t bother with anything mud specific for Betws. Where do you plan on riding? The Marin?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

My advise would be to go and spend £50-60 on any brand new pair to set you mind at rest

mastakillah
    Free Member

Yeah, gonna start with the Marin Trail. Then on to the MBR trail.
    Haven’t decided where next…

jonk

If your riding marin or penmach you need high volume grippy types like hans dampf, rubber queen or high roller combos St front 60a rear.

shortcut

Not the MUDs but pretty much anything else will be fine.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Ok. So the Mud-x are coming off. The WTBs are new so think I’ll go with those. Can’t get a Hans Dampf on (but hear good things about them as a front tyre) no clearance on the forks and Up in the north we call them “Death Queens”

tymbian
    Free Member

What about the On-One Chunky Monkey/ Smogasbord combo? £30 for front and rear.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Have you tried the on-one tyres?

tymbian
    Free Member

No, but heard good things about them in everying but mud.
    There are a few reviews on this forum.

muddyground
    Free Member

Ridden it a few times with 2.0 Mud-X’s on as that’s what I had at the time. Bike did it fine [suspect being tubeless helped a lot] but a bit more volume wouldn’t have hurt. I’d not spend money just for the one trip, just use what you have; fat front, bit more psi in the rear. The only time I had an issue was looking back at another wet rocky section I’d ridden, wondering how I’d managed given my limited skill, when I rode off the side of the easiest bit of trail ever known to mankind, ripping open my chin and shins. Indeed I fell off virtually within sight of the cafe after having ridden the black runs repeatedly and harmlessly for almost four hours….. And no, it wasn’t cool to return dripping blood. I just looked like a sad old man. Well, even more like a sad old man than I do normally.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Out of what you have, stick the weirwolf on.

Personally, I can’t see me ever swapping from a dhf Minion paired with something fast and voluminous on the back…

Enjoy btw, I like the Marin.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Certain death unless you fit dual ply DH specific High Rollers and run them tubeless. But you’ll want tubes for Penmachno and a single ply on the front for the MBR. From the end of the trail to the Cafe at CyB, you’ll be OK with 2.3 or 2.4 inch, as long as you arent an aggressive style rider.

Cyclocross or rigid singlespeed for Snowdon, obviously….

Seriously? It’a trail centre, so round and ideally black, will be fine. Just go an have fun.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

slicks – for speed

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Betws-y-coed next week, What tyres should I run?’ is closed to new replies.