Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding in Austria
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Staying in Lofer over next week or so…..

….choices look like Lofer itself, Leogang and then Kaprun/Zell……

Any top tips for long Enduro / technical-XC type trails? It is a family trip so probably only got 2 days – possibly even only one……

Thought and experiences?

Cheers,
    Mark

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.worldbikeparks.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-bike-park/trails

I’ve done most of the trails.
    Great fun.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Kaprun is ace… There’s loads from the doorstep, I went over a few years ago when Diz ran over the edge..
    Would love to go back, there’s some ace trails, just a case of following yer nose!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

iolo – just trying to work out how far that is from Lofer, where we are staying….

Kaprun is 45mins away…..so very do-able….did you bike hire from Kaprun?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oops wrong thread.

iolo
    Free Member

I live half my year in Vienna and have friends in Saltzburg, I’ve always driven there.
    If you’re in Lofer and have a car go to Hallstatt. The most beautiful place ever. The birth place of the celtic race and the world’s oldest salt mine. All set in a small village set next to an amazing lake.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Iolo – I am meeting my BiL and his family and the salt mines are on the list – esp if it rains… 😀

BiL is from Vienna….

Though not too sure on MTB places….

andermt
    Free Member

Currently in Hinterglemm (leave tomorrow). Worth heading over this way, Hackleberg trail is ace if you get the chance, just the 200m push up that’s hard work. The next 1000m decent makes it worthwhile.

alpin
    Free Member

If you’re heading to kaprun,then you may as well go to saalbach. More to ride and no difference in distance.

If you’ve only got the one day you don’t want to spend most of it worrying about where you’re going.

colp

As andermt said, Hackleberg is great.
    Get the Schattberg Express to the top (don’t get off at mid station).
    Head down then straight up next peak. Lovely XC descent down to Hinterglemm.
    Z-line in Hinterglemm is a nice black XC type descent.
    Milka line is suitable for anyone but can be mega at speed, big air.
    A Leogang/Saalbach/Hinterglemm pass covers all 3 towns.
    You have to ride flying Gangster at Leogang at least once, it’s fine on an all-mountain bike. The most fun you can have on a bike.
    Hangman 1 from the top of the Asitzbahn in Leogang is super technical rooty stuff, not very long though.
    I’m there for 3 weeks from 7th Aug but will only have a few passes out (had a week there last week).

For family stuff the caves and gorges in Lofer are good.
    Family Land up the road in Fieberbrunn is ace for kids of all ages.
    Zell is nice for a day, get a pedalo on the lake and have a swim.
    Halstatt is a must.
    Lofer has a nice Lido as does Maria-Alm (where we have a place).
    The one in Zell is OK but busy.
    Look out for the Red bull air show at Zell, not sure when it will be on, we watched it last summer from the Lido at Zell.
    The summer rodelbahn at Biberg in Saalfelden is great, 1 mile long with 2 drop offs. You can’t go flat out at certain places though as I flipped my cart 2 years ago and burnt most of my forearm off.

There’s a good bike shop in Maishofen (Big Time bikes) or Bike and Soul in Saalbach & Hinterglemm for any bits.

Next time book in our place! 🙂

Apartment Amade

fionap

Looks like it’s a couple of hours away from you, but…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaNBuqSuNqk
    😮

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Austria’ is closed to new replies.