Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Rider weight and brakes…
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

😉
    Weight has its benefits when it comes to gravity based trails 😆
    But is a killer when it comes to the climbs 😆

shiatostorm
    Free Member

ah, yes. I can climb fairly well…for now… 😉

shiatostorm
    Free Member

right, got the E4’s 🙂 …now to trim the hilariously long hose without p*ssing brake fluid everywhere. Is it possible to do without a bleed?

HansRey

what maxtorque says +1.

Should mention that friction is a system property, not a material property. So it’s affected by humidity, temperature, topography, oils, contact mode (e.g. do you have loads of grit embedded into the brake pads? If so, the true contact area may change and the mechanical behaviour of the pad surface will be very different to the bulk…).

I’ve always ridden with Shimano brakes. Simply because they never need servicing (touch wood). I’ve no experience with Hope kit as it’s rarely on sale, but i’d love to try them out.

shiatostorm
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden with Shimano brakes. Simply because they never need servicing (touch wood). I’ve no experience with Hope kit as it’s rarely on sale, but i’d love to try them out.

Well, they’re worth a try. my first set of mono mini’s are still going strong…no probs hence the new purchase of more. good solid British engineering 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

That’s the whole point of Hopes IMO :wink:. You can “feather” them, a slight squeeze means very little actual braking, but the harder you pull the more you stop!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

right, got the E4’s …now to trim the hilariously long hose without p*ssing brake fluid everywhere. Is it possible to do without a bleed?

Bleeding Hopes is easy, always bleed from new (the dot fluid might be pretty old….you don’t know how long they’ve been sitting around for in a warehouse) or when you cut the hoses.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve always used Hope 4 pot on tandems, two sets roughly 15 years old. It’s possible to overheat them but overall I’ve been very pleased with them – excellent power and modulation.

In fact one brake from each pair has failed (conveniently, one front and one rear so I still have one workng pair) so I’m about to buy another set. I’m not disappointed with their longevity, they have had a fairly hard life with little maintenance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had mono mini’s, X2’s, XTR (older), XT (newer) and Avid Elixirs (various versions).

The hopes I was running with 140/160mm rotors even though I weigh 100kg. They were barely an imporvement on V-brakes but that’s all I wanted. Ditto the X2’s.

XT are great if a little grabby, not much more outright power than the Avids though, it just comes in one big hit.

The Avid’s are fine when they work, but getting them bled properly can be a PITA. I’d accept new ones on a bike, on the basis I could keep returning them untill they worked! But I’d not get them aftermarket.

I’d save all that money the Hope’s cost and get shimano, they’re just better.

Although at the moment I’m starting to want some even stronger brakes on the fat bike. You can hit corners at frankly terifying speeds which them means you’re not going the speed the trail designer intended you to be going and sudenly need a lot of braking power from those 180/160 disks, and with 4″ tyres even a 160mm rear disk is capable of doing alot of braking! Heck even on a normal bit of trail the grip allows you to brake after the last braking bump without losing traction!

If you want bling brakes, get Clegg’s, they make Hope look like they fell out of a cracker.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If you want bling brakes, get Clegg’s, they make Hope look like they fell out of a cracker.

LOL, they look awful.

The hopes I was running with 140/160mm rotors even though I weigh 100kg. They were barely an imporvement on V-brakes but that’s all I wanted.

So you’ve moved up to disk sizes that offer 20 percent more power front and rear and your comparing power?

The Race X2’s my old man runs are easily as powerful as my Deore set, except they modulate a bit better and weigh a good deal less.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Rider weight and brakes…’ is closed to new replies.